Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48108 times)

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #195 on: December 22, 2015, 01:46:21 pm »

silly idea but has anyone design a tavern where there's 2 entrances the dwarven one and the one where all the new guests come in where it's decked with weapon traps and sawblades and spikes.
and anyone who survives this gets to drink fine masterpiece dwarven ale?

Do visitors fall to traps?

Also, this would give YOU more trouble, as your dwarves will be forced to haul corpses all time.

I know, who cares about pratical details, do it anyway!
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #196 on: December 22, 2015, 03:56:40 pm »

Doubt it, but repeating upright spikes would do the trick.

But they would also do the trick to your dwarves, and children, and pets, and diplomats...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 22, 2015, 05:23:31 pm »

silly idea but has anyone design a tavern where there's 2 entrances the dwarven one and the one where all the new guests come in where it's decked with weapon traps and sawblades and spikes.
and anyone who survives this gets to drink fine masterpiece dwarven ale?
I had a similar idea a while back where the performers did their performances on a bridge and if it was insufficiently amusing the bridge would retract and drop them onto something nasty. Is there a way to do that?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 22, 2015, 06:08:34 pm »

Probably, given that taverns are areas, so there's nothing to stop you from putting the area on a bridge. Of course, you're going to dump the whole dance floor, but what's a little collateral damage?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2015, 06:24:15 pm »

There are some dwarfs in my fort I would really hate to lose, and it doesn't make thematic sense to dump the entire dance floor because one musician sucked.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2015, 06:46:40 pm »

There are some dwarfs in my fort I would really hate to lose, and it doesn't make thematic sense to dump the entire dance floor because one musician sucked.

Au Contraire Ho Ho Ho
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2015, 06:50:18 pm »

Well, if there's only one dancer and she isn't a legendary metalworker, that's one thing.....

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 22, 2015, 06:56:52 pm »

It's more about having the option, and less about actually doing it. It's comforting to know in case of emergency boredom you can suddenly dump 10 or so unsuspecting peasants into a hostile crocodile pit.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 22, 2015, 11:56:41 pm »

Observations

So I've got a fortress tavern with a few dozen performers hanging out, but only one of them asks to be made permanent.  Time goes by.  The caravans arrive, and we trade with them oodles of expensive earthenware crafts.  Immediately after completing the trades, about a dozen of the visitors ask to be made permanent.  So I'm guessing that visitor petition rate is tied to exported wealth.  The huge wave of petitions was more than I had beds for, so I don't think the number of beds assigned to your tavern has anything to do with petition rate. 

Also, I'm playing a FuFo game with lots of civilizations.  The farthest civilizations send me lots of visitors.  The civilization near enough to send a caravan doesn't send me any visitors.  However, there is a dark pit civilization that has sieged us twice and sent a few performers as visitors.  I visited the dark pit and dark fortress assigned to that civ in adventure mode and found them completely empty, except for a team of humans who had apparently either conquered the site or reclaimed for themselves.  I'm pretty sure but not completely sure that the abandoned dark fortress belonged to the civ that is now sieging me, except that I didn't think they had any other sites in the area, so it's a bit of a puzzle. 

There is an Ogre civ somewhere, and one time an Ogress Dancer game to visit.  Hilariously, the ogress could not contain herself and smashed a bunch of buildings on the way down to the tavern.  She took a long time standing around next to the buildings before destroying them, as though conflicted about whether or not to give in to her building destroyer instincts.  The militia was dispatched to dispatch her, and no obvious retribution has resulted from the death of the ogress dancer. 

Also, a dwarf poet who joined my leokin fortress had a strange mood and claimed a workshop.  Unfortunately, the game crashed before the poet could finish his artifact.  Or perhaps it crashed because of the artifact. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:15:09 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2015, 05:56:05 am »

in case of emergency boredom you can suddenly dump 10 or so unsuspecting peasants into a hostile crocodile pit.

This should be in the OOC Thread...
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 23, 2015, 06:29:07 am »

Nothing cheers a tavern up more than a few cages filled with naked goblins linked to a happy hour lever.

LATE, UNRELATED EDIT (better than a double post)

A thought just struck me.
I think taverns, and the associated influx of visitors mean, that it now becomes possible to run a vampire fortress without all vampires eventually slowing down to a crawl for lack of blood. Dusk till dawn fortress ahoy! Now if I'd only get a vampire to get things started <EVIL GRIN>
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:19:55 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 23, 2015, 08:41:03 am »

With a short enough drop and a soft enough floor, could we be getting closer to the long-sought "party over, back to work" lever?

Of course, you'd need one dwarf available to pull it...
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 23, 2015, 11:13:42 am »

So after much testing, I've had to remove all temples and taverns from my forts.  ???
I've had a complete season pass with a/some/many dwarf(s) ignoring all pending jobs, when they're the only dwarf Legendary in a particular skill, or the only one with that skill enabled.  Remove the temple/inn/tavern/library and all work gets done immediately.

I like the concept of temples, taverns, inns, and libraries, but when all work ceases due to socializing, prayer, and reading, it's time for them to go.  :-[
I think there will need to be an adjustment in job/task priorities such that when a job is pending, the dwarf is interrupted from their current task, or at least some tie in with personality such that 'average' dwarves will attend to outstanding jobs within an in-game calendar day, rather than spend an entire season drinking or meditating. 
I understand the issues with time stretching in general, in fortress mode, but it's a bit over the top as it is now, in my opinion.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 23, 2015, 01:44:01 pm »

So after much testing, I've had to remove all temples and taverns from my forts.  ???
I've had a complete season pass with a/some/many dwarf(s) ignoring all pending jobs, when they're the only dwarf Legendary in a particular skill, or the only one with that skill enabled.  Remove the temple/inn/tavern/library and all work gets done immediately.

I like the concept of temples, taverns, inns, and libraries, but when all work ceases due to socializing, prayer, and reading, it's time for them to go.  :-[
I think there will need to be an adjustment in job/task priorities such that when a job is pending, the dwarf is interrupted from their current task, or at least some tie in with personality such that 'average' dwarves will attend to outstanding jobs within an in-game calendar day, rather than spend an entire season drinking or meditating. 
I understand the issues with time stretching in general, in fortress mode, but it's a bit over the top as it is now, in my opinion.

Civilian alert burrows are your friend. Remove library / temple / tavern burrows when you really need work done, add them back to the allowed list when your dwarves need socializing / praying  / reading. The only downside is that this does not work for military dwarves, which ignore civilian alerts. And until the polytheism praying bug is fixed, you'll need to disband temples from the locations screen in combination with the civilian alert, and create a new location when you turn them back on. That is not nescessary for taverns and libraries.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:46:09 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 23, 2015, 01:46:07 pm »

You know you've got that "do task now" button on workshops.  Have you upgraded to 42.03?  I think that problem is less of an issue in the newest upgrade.  There were problems with needs not being fulfilled even when they were taking their time off. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16