Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 137

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 201480 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: [MODDING] 0.42.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #330 on: January 03, 2016, 03:19:08 pm »

How would I make a reaction require a certain leaf growth as reagent?

How can I make a building buildable by any dwarf? Or can I even do that?

---------

I have this great idea: dwarves need light. Tallow or oil could be made into a candle. Herbs could also be added for scent. Four candles (or so) of the same type (unscented vs scented, that is, not pig tallow vs rock nut oil) would be burned at a special 1-tile workshop called a "lamp" or whatever, creating an immobile "fire" (a creature). The fire would emit light (and scent, if scented candles were used to make a scented fire) regularly, which are just like FB gas, except not dangerous. They would (somehow) make dwarves happier. If a dwarf goes too long without being exposed to light, he gets a bad thought.

Questions:

1. How would I create this "fire" creature? That is, how do I make it immobile, live one year old, unable to fight, unable to be attacked... I know that a bug makes very small creatures invincible. Bonus points if water "puts it out".

2. How do I make it emit "light" and "scent" gas?

3. How do I make this gas give happy thoughts?

4. How do I make dwarves get "scared", bad thoughts if they go too long without "seeing" (read: being exposed to) light?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:27:27 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 03, 2016, 03:41:42 pm »

How would I make a reaction require a certain leaf growth as reagent?

How can I make a building buildable by any dwarf? Or can I even do that?

---------

I have this great idea: dwarves need light. Tallow or oil could be made into a candle. Herbs could also be added for scent. Four candles (or so) of the same type (unscented vs scented, that is, not pig tallow vs rock nut oil) would be burned at a special 1-tile workshop called a "lamp" or whatever, creating an immobile "fire" (a creature). The fire would emit light (and scent, if scented candles were used to make a scented fire) regularly, which are just like FB gas, except not dangerous. They would (somehow) make dwarves happier. If a dwarf goes too long without being exposed to light, he gets a bad thought.

Questions:

1. How would I create this "fire" creature? That is, how do I make it immobile, live one year old, unable to fight, unable to be attacked... I know that a bug makes very small creatures invincible. Bonus points if water "puts it out".

2. How do I make it emit "light" and "scent" gas?

3. How do I make this gas give happy thoughts?

4. How do I make dwarves get "scared", bad thoughts if they go too long without "seeing" (read: being exposed to) light?

I'm stupid, but I might be able to help a bit.

1- You'd want to do this.
Set [MAXAGE:(number):(number)] to [MAXAGE:1:2]. I don't think you can have 1:1, or just [MAXAGE:1], but I could be wrong.
As for not being able to attack, adding [AT_PEACE_WITH_NATURE] (I think that's the token) and some no-emotion-y tokens would help, but any creature can use the push attack to my knowledge. And it could still get attacked, but if you do something like make it out of adamantine it shouldn't die, and in fact you could give it the "doesn't need a brain" tokens so it's just a floating blob of cyan.

2-
You could have it immolate, so it is constantly on fire, but that could become an issue when near alcohol I think. I think there's a token for just producing light, but I'm not certain.
As for the gas, I believe Dorfs like mist... Though water isn't in the raws, is it? You'll want to use a mist breath attack, I think, but I'm not sure how to make it feel good to the dwarves.

3-
No idea, sorry.

4-
I don't think that is possible. It's possible I'm wrong, but I don't know.

Back to 1-
Oh, immobility. No idea. I don't think taking away gaits stops the creature from using them, but I've not messed around with them much. Maybe you could give the gaits absurd numbers so it'll take years before it can move? Is that possible?

But yeah, ignore me, I'm stupid.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #332 on: January 03, 2016, 04:06:56 pm »

I was thinking something along the lines of an interaction of the flame that spews gas everywhere. The gas would be a certain inorganic that induces a syndrome in any dwarf it touches.

As for the "scared of the dark", perhaps a syndrome that relies on another syndrome not being active? I'm not sure if something like that can work.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 03, 2016, 04:47:25 pm »

I was thinking something along the lines of an interaction of the flame that spews gas everywhere. The gas would be a certain inorganic that induces a syndrome in any dwarf it touches.

As for the "scared of the dark", perhaps a syndrome that relies on another syndrome not being active? I'm not sure if something like that can work.

I'm not sure what would make them "happier" per say, but you could maybe lower their gait and then have the syndrome make them faster, so if they go without the gas they would become slower. Not sure syndromes can affect mood, but I'm probably wrong.

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 03, 2016, 06:20:22 pm »

I'm not sure what would make them "happier" per say, but you could maybe lower their gait and then have the syndrome make them faster, so if they go without the gas they would become slower. Not sure syndromes can affect mood, but I'm probably wrong.

Didn't the new version add a tag to affect emotions? Used for alcoholism now, I think.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 03, 2016, 06:22:59 pm »

Didn't the new version add a tag to affect emotions? Used for alcoholism now, I think.

That's what I thought, so I skimmed the syndrome token wiki thing. Didn't see anything, but I could have missed it.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #336 on: January 03, 2016, 08:43:36 pm »

A "counter trigger" is the opposite of a trigger in that it prevents the syndrome from occurring, right? (See the wiki page on syndromes, near the bottom.)

If so, how do I make it so that a particular syndrome only triggers if CAVE_ADAPT is greater than a certain number?

Edit: Nvm, I think the "counter trigger" only applies to creature effects. If I'm wrong, my previous question still stands. If I'm right, I have a larger question.

What is the behavior of syndrome "cancellation" or stopping in the middle? Is there a way to stop a syndrome in the middle of its effects?

-----------

Perhaps this might be better:

How do I make it so that dwarves trigger a certain syndrome when they have been in the dark too long, and not otherwise?. I'm sure I have to use both interactions and syndromes, and fairly sure I might be able to hitch a ride on the [CAVE_ADAPT] counter. But that all rests on whether I can alter [CAVE_ADAPT]. Can I?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:48:10 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 03, 2016, 08:48:37 pm »

A "counter trigger" is the opposite of a trigger in that it prevents the syndrome from occurring, right? (See the wiki page on syndromes, near the bottom.)

You misunderstand what "counter" means there. It means trigger on counter--once the counter is within this range, trigger the syndrome.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #338 on: January 03, 2016, 09:20:20 pm »

That is EXACTLY what I needed! I take it I just need to set the maximum for a very large value. Thank you, Putnam!

Also,

1. How does "cancellation" work? That is, is it possible for a syndrome in effect (say, a year-long "darkness fear" syndrome) to be interrupted by another one?

2. Can a syndrome affect cave adaptation?
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 03, 2016, 10:55:25 pm »

1. it doesn't, there is no cancellation

2. no

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #340 on: January 04, 2016, 12:10:15 am »

Is it possible to affect adaptation with DFHack?

If Syndrome A is triggered on the first of Granite, and lasts one month, and is triggered again on the last day of Granite, does the syndrome continue for another month?

Is there a way to make it so either syndrome A is active or syndrome B is active, but never both?
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 04, 2016, 12:13:07 am »

1. yes, not sure which it is but i'm pretty sure it's a specific_ref
2. yeah, i think that's what happens, it also refreshes if they have that syn_class whatsit that was added in 0.42.01
3. make the syndrome only transmittable through interaction and use [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:syn class]

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #342 on: January 04, 2016, 07:59:14 am »

If a syndrome needs a certain counter to trigger, does it count as present before the counter is reached?
Sigtext!

Hyperion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 04, 2016, 09:27:36 am »

If I'm reading that right, your interaction multiplies your strength by 10x, then adds another 5,000 points to the character's strength.

It also makes the creature's effective skill 10,000%  higher 100% of the time.

The creature also doesn't have much instructions on how to use the interaction. The AI will be attempting to use the interaction on itself every five ticks, even though the effects will only apply once.

That was the intention, yes, but it doesn't change anything at all

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #344 on: January 04, 2016, 04:46:02 pm »

Here's my setup. Can somebody make sure I didn't screw up humongously? I'll be testing soon, but would rather I don't gen a world and set up a fortress just to find that a stupid mistake needs a regen.

Spoiler: in inorganic_jwood (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: interaction_jwood (click to show/hide)

Will this work? Did I forget to upload an important file?

(Ignore the "can do interaction: lightcomfort" part, and assume that I've found a way to give "scent" and "light" to dwarves with a lamp.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:49:58 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 137