Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you believe in ghosts?  (Read 2683 times)

Killitwithfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you believe in ghosts?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 07:40:03 am »

So, I put it in exactly as you said, and what I ended up with was a ghost who could raise the dead, all right... and turn them into toads.  :-\

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 08:59:48 am »

Means that the body transformation couldnt find ICELING:DEFAULT, so it just turned them into the first possible creature ie. toads.

Are you sure your icelings only have 1 caste? That means no females, no males.

Killitwithfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 09:04:59 am »

Pretty sure I took that out, but I'll go back through the files. Maybe I forgot to save that or something.

There's no way to make the caste of the resurrected corpses the same as their owners, is there? (That is, bring back a female elf and make them a female ghost, for example?)

neko.len.chan

• Bay Watcher
  • Nya
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 10:19:46 am »

you could have two reactions, one that turns female elves into female ghosts and one that turns male elves into male ghosts. But to my knowledge, to do that you'd need two reactions for every species you wanted to be able to transform, or you'd have to use syndrome classes (i.e. a female sentient class that you'd put in each female caste of each species you wanted to e able to resurrect)
"When you wake in the morning, consider suicide."
BY ARMOK WHO KEEPS LEAVING CORPSES IN ALL THE FRIGGIN DOORWAYS?!?

Killitwithfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 11:04:34 am »

Well, that might be feasible, with a little more modification ([HAS_SOUL] or something like that as a tag?), but I was hoping for a more generalized version.

By the way, I found out what the deal is with weapons hitting ghosts: apparently, the deal is that ANYTHING can hit them, except other ghosts. Kind of the inverse of tradition. I figure there's not really a way to fix this entirely, but between the resurrection ability mentioned above and some other tags, would it be possible to maybe make it so that the easily-severed limbs of a ghost could reanimate themselves? (Kinda like that scene from Pirates of the Caribbean, where a pirate loses a hand and it continues to function on its own). I just think that might mitigate the problem a bit. (You don't WANT to chop a ghost to bits because each and every one of them is gonna come back to haunt you.)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 12:30:08 pm »

Well, that might be feasible, with a little more modification ([HAS_SOUL] or something like that as a tag?), but I was hoping for a more generalized version.

By the way, I found out what the deal is with weapons hitting ghosts: apparently, the deal is that ANYTHING can hit them, except other ghosts. Kind of the inverse of tradition. I figure there's not really a way to fix this entirely, but between the resurrection ability mentioned above and some other tags, would it be possible to maybe make it so that the easily-severed limbs of a ghost could reanimate themselves? (Kinda like that scene from Pirates of the Caribbean, where a pirate loses a hand and it continues to function on its own). I just think that might mitigate the problem a bit. (You don't WANT to chop a ghost to bits because each and every one of them is gonna come back to haunt you.)

Yes.  Give them a necromancer-like interaction that can only target members of their own species.  Make sure they are undead-friendly first, though, or they could wind up getting strangled by their own hand.

You can make a single interaction or substance that changes each kind of creature accordingly; give it multiple syndromes, each with a SYN_AFFECTED token targeting a different creature.  If you use transformations, the first transformation in the syndrome that hits will take effect, so you can add all the creatures you need and then put a 'default result' at the end for unlisted creatures.

Killitwithfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 12:51:48 pm »

Yes.  Give them a necromancer-like interaction that can only target members of their own species.  Make sure they are undead-friendly first, though, or they could wind up getting strangled by their own hand.

Well, not strangled, per se, since they don't need to breathe, but I get the point. Question, though... does that really make a difference if the pieces aren't made life-hating? I mean, I should probably make them undead-friendly anyway (so animated corpses don't kill ghosts  ???), I'm just wondering about whether a ghost turning on itself in this fashion would ever be a problem.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 01:22:57 am »

Waiiit... sorry mibad.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 08:43:22 am »

If you still want evaporating creatures, I might have something to point you in the right direction?

I once modded giant desert scorpion poison to be boiling blood with [ENTERS_BLOOD]. Creatures injected with the gold-poison-thing would evaporate after they died.

It made them "melt" while they were alive, too, right? Because if so, then what you'd end up with if you made a creature with boiling blood is something with a very short life expectancy.

...In fairness, you generally end up with that anyway, but I'd rather have a monster you can't plunder (because there's nothing left) to an ineffectual suicide bomber.

That being said, Imma go play with the scorpions.  :P
I saw no indication that it did, actually.
Their blood wasn't exactly boiling, because I gave gold ENTERS_BLOOD.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 08:56:15 am »

Well, not strangled, per se, since they don't need to breathe, but I get the point. Question, though... does that really make a difference if the pieces aren't made life-hating? I mean, I should probably make them undead-friendly anyway (so animated corpses don't kill ghosts  ???), I'm just wondering about whether a ghost turning on itself in this fashion would ever be a problem.

Animated corpses and corpse body parts are always opposed to life, even if you specify that they should not be.  If you use resurrection they will not be, but resurrecting severed limbs has entirely different problems.  Animation is better if you want your limbs to follow you.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 06:03:21 pm »

I just realized that you can make the ghosts retain their identities, by switching "ANIMATE" with "RESURRECT."
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: 1 [2]