Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread  (Read 9101 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Climate Talks Discussion Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2015, 07:18:27 pm »

Best time to plant a tree was yesterday, before you killed the planet you shitlords

Not going to help... Not only are there trillions of trees... but we have now started to plant MORE trees then we destroy now.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2015, 07:18:53 pm »

however, I very much doubt that the "Yuck factor" would ever be completely eradicated short of there being a major global catastrophe.
I would not doubt it quite as much, for my own part, as cuisine is sometimes quick to change.  For example, lobsters are basically sea cockroaches (insofar as both are arthropodal scavengers), were once considered so pestiferous that they were only eaten by the indigent and desperate, and servants and workers fed by their employers would negotiate contracts specifying that they would not be forced to eat the vile creatures too often.  Lobster meat only became a delicacy among delicacies in the last 150 years, only an eye-blink as far as change in societies is concerned.

Insects are already eaten in many parts of the world, it's us Westerners that have the 'ick factor' when it comes to eating bugs.
Yes.  My apologies for the confusion, but I thought that since we were discussing insects as a replacement for beef and the West is a disproportionately large consumer of beef (though that too is rapidly changing as China becomes richer), the discussion was primarily focused on cultural taboos against insects in the West. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2015, 07:19:54 pm »

Not going to help... Not only are there trillions of trees... but we have now started to plant MORE trees then we destroy now.
Would you rather have trillions of trees, or two trillions of trees?

Yes.  My apologies for the confusion, but I thought that since we were discussing insects as a replacement for beef and the West is a disproportionately large consumer of beef (though that too is rapidly changing as China becomes richer), the discussion was primarily focused on cultural taboos against insects in the West. 
A childhood of eating bugs has led me to believe that some bugs evolved to be foul and others fine

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2015, 07:23:53 pm »

Would you rather have trillions of trees, or two trillions of trees?

Doesn't "Trillions" assume we have at least 2 trillion and/or more?

Otherwise I'd say "not only are there a trillion trees" :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2015, 07:39:45 pm »

Ye

No because this isn't trillions vs two trillion, this is trillions vs two trillions
Two trillions wins, especially if it's two trillions yesterday

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2015, 08:08:16 pm »

Ye

No because this isn't trillions vs two trillion, this is trillions vs two trillions
Two trillions wins, especially if it's two trillions yesterday
actually their are more than three Treellion trees.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2015, 11:13:49 pm »

So, from what I've seen, this climate agreement has little in the way of restrictions, no consequences for breaking those, and it ignores island nations. Hopefully this changes by the time the final version is written and signed, but there are no guarantees.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2015, 02:44:43 pm »

There is an old saying: "International Law aren't actually laws"

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2015, 06:08:21 pm »

final draft is done and agreed upon:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/12/12/459464621/final-draft-of-world-climate-agreement-goes-to-a-vote-in-paris-saturday

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/12/12/459502597/2-degrees-100-billion-the-world-climate-agreement-by-the-numbers

$100 billion dollars from the developed world was pledged to help developing nations and a goal of 1.5 degrees C above pre industrial levels is sought as the goal to stop the rise at. please don't mess this up republicans. some of you aren't hopeful but i for one am optimistic.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2015, 06:25:28 pm »

The 1.5°C goal isn't exactly in. It's a goal of "less than 2°C" with 1.5°C being mentioned as somehting that'd make a nice target further down.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2015, 09:30:51 am »

Today again, we broke a record of having the warmest day ever recorded for this time of year. Now that's not very newsworthy anymore, since we've already had about a dozen of those days this year, just like we had a handful of 'warmest weeks ever recorded' and two or three 'warmest months ever recorded'.

What does trouble me is that I spotted bees in my garden.
Bees always used to be gone in october, perhaps a few foolhardy ones managed to get a few active days in early november.

But now. Bees in half december?  :o That's some crazy shit.

It's 15C outside, as it has been for the past week. Save for a scarce few late night / early morning touches with freezing point late november, we haven't had any frost yet. Our cabbage farmers must be getting really anxious (various Dutch crops require one or two nights of frost to make them ripe for harvest).

If this continues, we'll need to reclassify our climate from 'temperate ocean climate' to 'subtropical climate'.
I already miss those december days from my childhood. Back then, december meant, going outside in the snow and building igloos  :'( . I haven't seen any persistent snow in years now. Then again, the prospect of palm tree beaches does have some merit as well. Now where's my cocktail bar license....

But don't worry kids. The important peeps in Paris said they reached agreement on many plans to save the climate, so it will surely all be fine, tomorrow.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2015, 10:13:47 am »

The important peeps

DEAR GAWD anything but that!

Global Warming what have you wrought upon this world!

Ohh... you mean people... Ok... Crisis averted.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]