Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 93858 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Misson 26: You Monster
« Reply #540 on: April 01, 2016, 05:56:45 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:00:27 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 02, 2016, 09:40:28 am »

Spiders send in a couple robots and a sod. see if they tear them apart or infest the sod. If they don't, then send in a robot with food. If they do, send them home, I guess. I don't really have any end game with the spiders. They and their universe don't seem useful to us, really.

Caverns elevate all colonies by placing them on platforms above the ground (if this helps with the gravity gradient).
Send a science team to do experiments on the unnatural (continent sized) sapphire that Gus got his sapphire from.
locate caverns with lighter gravity, and if one is found that is more suitable for colonization, move the colony there.

Fungalverse what was the environment like? Send a second probe, to a point high enough up that it wold be in orbit if this universe works the way ours does, and see what is out there.

Time permitting, Send probes to new universes:
0, 7, 7
7, 0, 7
7, 7, 0
Finally: wiki people take note: remove the blacklist designation from orgyverse.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 02, 2016, 09:49:51 am »

Quote from:  Vincent to: Steve Saint    CC: General Miyamoto De Bergerac
I believe we have our first candidate for the first run at the Sharkmist/Haebi supported colonies. 0,9,0 is rich in industrial resources, and is livable with minor issues (The weird gravity is causing issues with the colonists, but nothing severe or lethal as of yet), but as of yet, it hasn't been able to reach self sufficiency. Would the Heabi/Sharkmist system allow for the growth and self sustinence of life support systems? (food, water, air etc.)

Response:
Yes, as long as that universe is not completely inhospitable then it should be able to accommodate colonists given time to set up infrastructure.

My advice would be to do the following steps:
1) Send over some more resources so the people currently there don't starve if there's problems. Or take them back or set up a close monitoring system, to ensure they don't get stranded.
2) Load the parameters of the universe into a VR machine and run an AI on it for a little while. That should allow you to get an idea of how the colony would tackle the issues presented, without having to commit just yet.
3) Send a small sample of Heabi and/or sharkmist over in a controlled way with plenty of failsaves and contingencies, to check for possible weird effects.
4) Then, if you are satisfied with the results from VR testing and sample test, select the colony modules you need (or follow the AI's recommendations) and send them over. Probably best to keep monitoring its progress closely, this would be its first extra-universal field test, after all.

Be sure to coordinate with Dester and Saint during all of this, though I probably don't need to tell you that.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 02, 2016, 03:28:51 pm »

Quote from:  Forward to: Dester Gree, Steve Saint
Yes, as long as that universe is not completely inhospitable then it should be able to accommodate colonists given time to set up infrastructure.

1) Send over some more resources so the people currently there don't starve if there's problems. Or take them back or set up a close monitoring system, to ensure they don't get stranded.
2) Load the parameters of the universe into a VR machine and run an AI on it for a little while. That should allow you to get an idea of how the colony would tackle the issues presented, without having to commit just yet.
3) Send a small sample of Heabi and/or sharkmist over in a controlled way with plenty of failsaves and contingencies, to check for possible weird effects.
4) Then, if you are satisfied with the results from VR testing and sample test, select the colony modules you need (or follow the AI's recommendations) and send them over. Probably best to keep monitoring its progress closely, this would be its first extra-universal field test, after all.

Be sure to coordinate with Dester and Saint during all of this, though I probably don't need to tell you that.
-
-
-
-
-

Dester I sent a message to Saint and General Miyamoto requesting we attempt our first sharkmist colony in the cavern/cave-verse as it is rich with resources, but not with life support. This was General Miyamoto's response. This plan of action seems reasonable to me and I would like to get started on it. Any objections?

If there is no objections from Saint or Dester

1) Send over more resources to cave-verse so the people currently there don't starve
2) Load the parameters of the universe into a VR machine and run an AI on it for a little while to get an idea of how the colony would tackle the issues presented
3) Send a small sample of Heabi and/or sharkmist over in a very remote section of the cave-verse with camera probes to see how it reacts to the new universe
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 02, 2016, 10:33:17 pm »

Quote from: Dester to:Vincent cc:General De Bergerac, Administrator Saint

Go for it. The only real failsafe we probably need for sending over the sharkmist and haebi flesh is location. send it to a cavern some distance from ours.

if it goes feral, we can abandon that universe as too much work for the reward, since apparently we need to massively change the structure of the universe to make colonies sustainable there.

of course, I won't stop you from using other fail-safes, but I think we sent a few artifacts over once before, and I believe a sharksuit was among those artifacts.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 03, 2016, 12:41:23 am »

Quote from:  Vincent to: Dester
I'm with you in thinking location will be enough. If a bad reaction happens far enough away, we'll have ample time to evacuate the colonists. If we can't make it self sustainable, there isn't much point in continuing the colony
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 03, 2016, 03:50:52 pm »

Did you process those new universes? Which universe did the damaged probe return from?

If you missed them, send probes to new universes  (7,7,49), (70,70,490), (-777,-777,-777).

Lodge a complaint regarding the structural integrity of ARM datapads with whoever I feel is most appropriate to whine to on Hephaestus. Demand a free replacement.

Nunzillor

« Reply #547 on: April 04, 2016, 10:12:11 pm »

Quote from: Pneuma South of M27 Team Hurricane replying to Charles Leroux
Dear Mr. Leroux,

Please accept my thanks for the attached messages.  I look forward to testing them in the field, as I suspect they will be quite effective.  In fact, might I ask if you would be willing to develop and test further messages to help M27 succeed?

I think the mission might benefit from more research in the following areas:
  • "Buffs" or inspirational speeches granting temporary or even permanent benefits.
  • Determining the degree to which charismatic speeches can bend reality for both defensive and offensive applications.
  • Directed effectiveness— having speeches' negative effects only affect enemy combatants and positive effects only affect ARM troopers.
  • Developing "antidotes" to negate the effects of speeches (such as "don't you dare carry weapons or attack us") when accidentally deployed against ARM troopers.
  • Speeches to knock listening enemy combatants unconscious.
I'm sure you can think of other, similar avenues of research which would also be helpful.  I believe that any time you could spare for this effort would be quite beneficial to Team Hurricane's activities.  If you do decide to devote some time to this research, I would respectfully request that you test your results before sending them to Hurricane or others.

Thank you,
Pneuma South
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:34:50 pm by Nunzillor »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 04, 2016, 10:36:59 pm »

((I love how that message gives the impression of someone who doesn't understand speech or charisma at all, and legitimitely thinks it's some sort of sufficiently advanced technology or magic.  "Whoah, dude, the words the Hephaestus guys had us play over the speakers made the civilians calm down and stop attacking!  They must have reverse-engineered some awesome alien artifact.  I bet we could ask them to make the magic words have cooler effects, like knocking civilians unconcious or something!"))

Nunzillor

« Reply #549 on: April 04, 2016, 10:40:20 pm »

((Heh, well I'm assuming Pneuma saw the effects of Freeman's speech on civilians, where he literally called out their names despite never having met them.  To her, incidents like that suggest that there really is something "magic" about speeches, something that can be exploited.  At the very least, she thinks speeches may grant telepathy of some sort.))
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:11:47 pm by Nunzillor »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 05, 2016, 05:03:36 am »

Have the probe keep its distance from the Cocoons, and search for signs of anything moving between them. Immediately halt that if another M26 member objects to it

Just detach.

Quote from: C. Leroux -> P. South
I believe you may want to contact your superior officers about the applications of speeches if they are having such effects. As far as I know, they should not be directly altering reality and any symptoms of such may be signs of an anomaly or the further decay of our universe.

And I would call into question the effectiveness of my messages until they have been deployed, for it is hard to write a speech knowing neither the exact audience nor the precise circumstances. If you believe it to be useful, I could indeed record more messages, though they are only as effective as well-written propaganda at best, I could indeed try my hand at a rallying speech, but past experience tells me that encouragement is the very last possible thing our forces need. Is there any specific circumstance you feel you would need a speech for?

Nunzillor

« Reply #551 on: April 05, 2016, 11:05:55 am »

Quote from: P. South -> C. Leroux
I have seen something happen that should not be possible— a Gordon Freeman was able to call out the names of civilians he had never met before, using those names to calm them down with a speech.  His charisma appeared to have given him telepathic abilities of some sort, suggesting that applied charisma may have greater effects than were previously considered possible.

Could you please record a speech to encourage teammates not to kill each other?  There was an incident here that nearly resulted in several deaths.  That would be potentially useful.  I am also curious as to the effectiveness of a rallying speech promoting increased marksmanship ability, so please do record such a speech as well if you have a moment.

Thank you,
P. South
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:40:07 pm by Nunzillor »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 05, 2016, 07:13:27 pm »

Then you may be better off contacting him for his aid. It is not impossible for one to demonstrate seemingly supernatural abilities, there was even a soldier who could make incoming fire miss and resurrect the dead. I know I am not such a kind of person, but this Freeman you refer to might very well be. Being in the field, and having apparently demonstrated such capabilities he may be a better person to make such requests to.

But if my recorded speeches start exhibiting similar anomalous behavior, then it may be cause for concern.

As for friendly fire, that is a matter best handled by your superior officers. There is no real way to prerecord a speech and know the exact circumstances of such events, and often in such cases, no words however rational or emotional will persuade them otherwise.

Nunzillor

« Reply #553 on: April 05, 2016, 07:17:33 pm »

Quote from: P. South -> C. Leroux
Thank you for your reply.  I will contact Freeman to see if his abilities can assist Hurricane.

Quote from: P. South -> G. Freeman
Dear Mr Freeman,

I am contacting you in the hopes that you can aid Team Hurricane as it continues to try to pacify and recruit civilians.  Recently I observed you call out the names of several civilians you (I assume) had never met before.  You seem to have exhibited some form of telepathy.

How did you develop these abilities?  And is there a way for your abilities to be transfered to others, or put to use for the benefit of M27?

Thank you,
Pneuma South
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:26:59 pm by Nunzillor »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #554 on: April 06, 2016, 11:33:43 am »

Quote from: Ryan to Saint
It seems your wanton massacre has affected the tribe. They're now running from our probes.

I would like to request an excursion to the planet. For plant and tissue samples, for contagions, and to hopefully rectify the situation so they are not so fearful of their new masters.

I would require, if allowed, a botanist, microbiologist, six interns (two each for the scientists and two medical interns for me), four non-sod guards, and equipment to match.

Fuck it, we're going live. Take the above mentioned and deploy a km away from the tribe. Have a probe return every 3 hours so I can request additional supplies and what not, or begin to mount an evac in case of hostiles. Also take along some equipment to get an idea of what the giant planet thing is doing to this planet, and some countermeasures to preserve our own life. Also include what amounts to a FoB.
We'll assume you get yourself and deploy 1 km away in the middle of the jungle.

Spiders send in a couple robots and a sod. see if they tear them apart or infest the sod. If they don't, then send in a robot with food. If they do, send them home, I guess. I don't really have any end game with the spiders. They and their universe don't seem useful to us, really.

Caverns elevate all colonies by placing them on platforms above the ground (if this helps with the gravity gradient).
Send a science team to do experiments on the unnatural (continent sized) sapphire that Gus got his sapphire from.
locate caverns with lighter gravity, and if one is found that is more suitable for colonization, move the colony there.

Fungalverse what was the environment like? Send a second probe, to a point high enough up that it wold be in orbit if this universe works the way ours does, and see what is out there.

Time permitting, Send probes to new universes:
0, 7, 7
7, 0, 7
7, 7, 0
Finally: wiki people take note: remove the blacklist designation from orgyverse.

They do not eat or attack the robots or sods. They seem cautiously curious, but since the robots and sod aren't attacking them, they don't attack back.

That reduces it, though now they have the problems of microgravity.
What are you looking for in terms of experiments? We know it is chemically and structurally identical to our sapphires here in our universe.
Searching. There are sections of this cavern that are higher and thus have lower gravity.

The environment is fairly earth like, though the oxygen concentrations are too low for us. It's also darker and more humid, like a boggy overcast summer's day. The orbit probe doesn't return.

No time today

Quote from:  Forward to: Dester Gree, Steve Saint

-
-
-
-
-

Dester I sent a message to Saint and General Miyamoto requesting we attempt our first sharkmist colony in the cavern/cave-verse as it is rich with resources, but not with life support. This was General Miyamoto's response. This plan of action seems reasonable to me and I would like to get started on it. Any objections?

If there is no objections from Saint or Dester

1) Send over more resources to cave-verse so the people currently there don't starve
2) Load the parameters of the universe into a VR machine and run an AI on it for a little while to get an idea of how the colony would tackle the issues presented
3) Send a small sample of Heabi and/or sharkmist over in a very remote section of the cave-verse with camera probes to see how it reacts to the new universe

Done
Which universe? Cave verse? The auto-colony would probably attempt to terraform, since the major problem is a complete lack of nutrients. Failing that, it would create the best possible recycling system it could, but even that would eventually fail since you can never get 100% back.
It doesn't do anything. As in, without signals or control the samples just sit there.

Did you process those new universes? Which universe did the damaged probe return from?

If you missed them, send probes to new universes  (7,7,49), (70,70,490), (-777,-777,-777).

Lodge a complaint regarding the structural integrity of ARM datapads with whoever I feel is most appropriate to whine to on Hephaestus. Demand a free replacement.

7,7,49 was the only one not null.

You get another datapad after screaming about the fragility of the first one at an intercom speaker. The speaker is one way.

Have the probe keep its distance from the Cocoons, and search for signs of anything moving between them. Immediately halt that if another M26 member objects to it

Just detach.

I believe you may want to contact your superior officers about the applications of speeches if they are having such effects. As far as I know, they should not be directly altering reality and any symptoms of such may be signs of an anomaly or the further decay of our universe.

And I would call into question the effectiveness of my messages until they have been deployed, for it is hard to write a speech knowing neither the exact audience nor the precise circumstances. If you believe it to be useful, I could indeed record more messages, though they are only as effective as well-written propaganda at best, I could indeed try my hand at a rallying speech, but past experience tells me that encouragement is the very last possible thing our forces need. Is there any specific circumstance you feel you would need a speech for?
Well in that case the probe wanders the darkness for a while and finds microscopic particles of something, but thats it.

In that case you would be able to detach the plates while keeping the one plate till you return.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 54