Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300375 times)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2340 on: July 28, 2023, 12:08:16 pm »

I played through Hrot.  It's good.  Final boss is a bit too silly though.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: July 28, 2023, 02:25:40 pm »

Anyone else see anything about Pathfinder games adding spyware in a new update? All I have is a single source, so it's tough to know how true it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wasn't there another company that did this recently? I can't seem to remember well.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: July 28, 2023, 03:55:29 pm »

Playing Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, and realized something rather humorous about one of the sidequest boss fights.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: August 05, 2023, 09:10:53 am »

Noticed that Cataclysm Bright Nights released its stable version 0.3
https://old.reddit.com/r/cataclysmbn/comments/15iab24/stable_version_v03_released/

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: August 06, 2023, 01:51:28 am »

Cata "probably doesn't deserve its own thread" for a different reason than most games posted about here, but I can't say it's untrue.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: August 06, 2023, 02:01:39 am »

I still find it strange how that game has so much drama.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: August 06, 2023, 02:10:34 am »

Just a property of open source gamedev, I think.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: August 06, 2023, 07:31:13 am »

I think I've commented on this before, but I don't think the drama itself is a property of open source development. Being able to see the drama largely is, though. Everything I'm aware of suggests closed source work is as bad or worse* on the drama front, it just tends to happen behind closed doors instead of among folks coordinating in more public spaces. We generally only hear about those kinds of messes in private development if someone ends up in court, heh.

E: Commercial/non-open source development often occurring in much, much worse conditions and having the whole money and formal hierarchies and whatnot involved can easily make the environment way, waaaay worse than you're likely to see develop and persist in open source work. It's well known a large amount of the software development industry, and especially gamedev, commonly has a toxic mess of a work environment. You can pretty much guarantee that kind of stress is causing massive drama issues somewhere along the line, heh. Folks working in both fields are wildly passionate with all the conflict that involves, but only one side is likely to be dealing with corporate :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 07:39:05 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: August 06, 2023, 03:59:47 pm »

Well, lots of closed source projects avoid drama by having around 1 contributors. While open source can attract many more if the project is interesting enough.

AAA and midsized commercial projects are hell, yeah, but I dunno if that's relevant. Open source has no hierarchy so basically anyone involved could have an unchecked ego which is usually reserved for management and producers.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: August 06, 2023, 09:15:05 pm »

Cata "probably doesn't deserve its own thread" for a different reason than most games posted about here, but I can't say it's untrue.

I posted the original thread in 2011 and have peeked in from time-to-time. I was bored and asking for recommendations in a roguelike IRC channel, and the (individual) developer happened to be online. The thread got over 11,000 posts by the end of 2012. Even in 2012 I think it was pretty rare for a polished text-based game to be released, let alone rocket in interest so quickly. I always wonder where the creator ended up and whether he released any other projects. I don't mind the version updates!

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: August 06, 2023, 09:35:58 pm »

Interesting fact of the day : the first Cataclysm thread and the first CDDA thread weren't closed because of drama but because of the threads OP going inactive.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 09:38:13 pm by Robsoie »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: August 07, 2023, 03:44:46 am »

Hopefully we'll be able to get a new thread at some point, and hopefully it won't be killed by drama that was already being forgotten about.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: August 07, 2023, 05:18:19 am »

So Thronefall came out in EA last week. It's best described as Kingdom but isometric and with more focus on defending than exploration. So far it's got very little content with 3 maps and a bunch of perks and mutators to unlock. But it's also fairly cheap and well worth the money imho as there's a ton of replayability to be had in trying to get the highest scores and achievement stars for each of the stages, as well as trying out different combinations of perks and mutators.

All in all a fun little game that's fairly simple at first glance but tons of fun once you get into it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: August 08, 2023, 09:37:30 pm »

I managed to get to +24% attack speed in Loop Hero. Level 4 blue equipment at best, and I'm a necromancer (lowest-damage character, because I don't rely on my own attacks).

Any one of my rogues would have loved the 3 best pieces of equipment they could find having a bonus +attack speed, but the magic-user is the one who can attack fast. Just all flailing around ineffectively while the skeletons do actual work because they each out-level the enemies (1 level higher than the loop, and +48% quality).
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 168