Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 320368 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1320 on: September 02, 2021, 01:00:43 pm »

What's the difference between these new settlements and the bases that NMS players have been able to create for some time?

i hope to find out, i was planning on making a new NMS save anyway cuz mine is multiple updates out of date, so i hope to find out and ill post it somewhere.

DOUBLE WHAMMY as well, pathfinder wrath of the righteous came out as well and im eager to get into that.

im probably not sleeping this labor day weekend
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: September 02, 2021, 04:08:36 pm »

Still getting the hang of Endless Sky and i'm having more fun now.

After regularly paying off my debts to the banks (good idea to pay regularly part of it, so mortgages gets lower and lower), i managed to finally get better benefits when i had no more debts.

Still it took -a lot- of cargo and passengers run (and some storyline missions for the free worlds) to finally reach a point i could afford my target : buying a light freighter named "Argosy" for more than 2 millions of credits (took another loan from the banks) , it's a very good one, large cargo and some good defense and weapons in comparison to other light freighters.

Kept my good old Star Barge too, even if it's weak and pitifull in comparison to mighty Argosy , it still have a good 50 cargo space (and 2 passengers space) to help on further cargo and passengers run (as in Endless Sky, you can fly in fleets with your ships, and that can be glorious), and it can additionally serves as some "meat shield" for my Argosy in case of combat.

What i noticed quickly is that the vast amount of cargo space in my fleet allow me to take some really really lucrative cargo and passengers run on the mission board, so good i extremely quickly paid back my bank loan, and i can now afford more ships.
Still waiting until i can get another Argosy and maybe once i have 2 of them, with more crews hired i could then start to try to board and capture ships to add them to my fleet. 
Maybe some fighters too, and hopefully some warship at some points before i can start to take over the universe :D

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: September 02, 2021, 04:42:04 pm »

I'm very interested in Wrath of the Righteous too, but given how buggy and unbalanced Kingmaker was at launch I'm probably going to hold off for a few months.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: September 02, 2021, 05:06:29 pm »

I'm very interested in Wrath of the Righteous too, but given how buggy and unbalanced Kingmaker was at launch I'm probably going to hold off for a few months.

i can respect that. im banking on them learning their lesson, which they might have as they updated and added the DLC. if i find any gamebreaking bugs over the long weekend, ill post
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: September 02, 2021, 05:29:27 pm »

I've been part of the beta and it's alright (but I also didn't encounter any troubles with Kingmaker except the "sneak attack dice applied on every batch of damage you do" bug ( meaning if you had 3d6 sneak attack and a weapon that did 1d4 piercing and 1d4 fire damage you'd get the 3d6 extra piercing damage and then 3d6 fire damage on top of that) and the bug where Ekun's bow damage kept getting higher and higher, leading to hilarious results.

But it's not exactly polished to perfection either. I'll give proper reports for the release version too.
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: September 02, 2021, 05:54:57 pm »

i can respect that. im banking on them learning their lesson, which they might have as they updated and added the DLC. if i find any gamebreaking bugs over the long weekend, ill post
Thanks! I'm pretty excited as it sounds like Wrath of the Righteous is an upgrade in most areas, I just don't feel the need to play it immediately (and its not like I'm lacking in games to play).

I played Kingmaker awhile after it came out and I encountered a few bugs, mainly to do with the turn-based mode, but those may have been because it got added later to the game.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: September 02, 2021, 09:03:59 pm »

I might play it but something that's been bugging me about that type of game is that they always start you off as a level one dickhead fighting goblins.  I really, really hate goblins as a D&D enemy, like I think goblins are maybe the worst thing in the entire game, but that's particular and I won't get distracted by that tangent.  I just don't like the nature of the power curve in games like that.  I want to start off as a crack squad of Big Boys and get into the more interesting and complex gameplay that comes with more resources and deadlier enemies right away.  I'm sick of fighting chaff with guys that can barely do anything, it sucks and I hate it.

Kingmaker was kind of fun, didn't get super far into it, but I remember three things distinctly.  One is that the nature of the attack on the castle (add that to my list of gripes, these games are always loaded with boring D&D cliches, fuck all that stuff) didn't make any sense, like the motivation of the enemy to do it or the way they went about it, I don't actually remember the particulars of why I thought it made no sense anymore, but I remember feeling like something about it didn't pass the smell test in that "wait... so they did that, but they knew this, so why did they... and who was responsible for..." kind of "the writers didn't think this all the way through" situation.

The second was that it properly did the rules for swarms, which was interesting and I've never seen a game like this actually use swarms the way the rules treat them, probably because the rules suck and nobody wants to deal with that shit.  I've never seen swarms used in a real D&D game either, I ain't got time for that shit.

The third was that I got the random encounter with the group of people, I don't remember who they were anymore, where the leader was a mage lady played by a bad actor.  There was a railroad scripted event where she'd run away and escape if defeated.  Apparently I'm smarter than the writers though, because the first thing I did in that battle was put her to sleep and coup de grace, and she exploded.  The game froze for probably 90 seconds, and then I can't remember exactly but it either played a cutscene with dialog coming from her various remaining parts, or it just told me that she'd escaped.  In any case she was still alive in the group's camp and the game just ignored that I blew her the fuck up.

I dunno.  I generally like this genre a lot, so I'm very harsh with my criticism because I want them to be better than they usually are.
Shoes...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: September 03, 2021, 05:06:26 am »

After regularly paying off my debts to the banks (good idea to pay regularly part of it, so mortgages gets lower and lower), i managed to finally get better benefits when i had no more debts.

Even better: Keep opening new small loans, let them hang around a day or two, pay them off, improve your credit score, and refi your big loan with your new lower rates since your credit score went up. (Or at least I think that's what's pushing up my credit score. Whatever it is, refinancing every few days is a tidy way to shave off your debt.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 06:28:12 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: September 03, 2021, 06:39:43 am »

I wasn't aware of that feature, thanks i'll try this.
Managed to spare enough money so far (with some more bank loan) to field a Bastion and 2 Argosy in my fleet, so much good cargo run money (the Bastion is a medium warship with some good cargo space too)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: September 03, 2021, 07:15:01 am »

I might play it but something that's been bugging me about that type of game is that they always start you off as a level one dickhead fighting goblins.  I really, really hate goblins as a D&D enemy, like I think goblins are maybe the worst thing in the entire game, but that's particular and I won't get distracted by that tangent.  I just don't like the nature of the power curve in games like that.  I want to start off as a crack squad of Big Boys and get into the more interesting and complex gameplay that comes with more resources and deadlier enemies right away.  I'm sick of fighting chaff with guys that can barely do anything, it sucks and I hate it.
That mostly just makes me remember Incursion, ha. Easily one of the best D&D ruleset interpretations I've encountered in part becase basically that, right there. It started you off at level one, but it was a level one where even the least mechanically complicated class (warrior) would be doing shit, right out the gate.

No vancian crap hobbling the casters, pretty much everyone had pretty damn neat tricks they could pull off even on level 1, even first floor enemies had a fair amount of potential tricks... it wasn't party based (well, sorta'), but there's been precious few D&D inspired games I've encountered that had the start be anything but a kill-ten-rats slog. Incursion had you cavalry charging and wuxia jumping and wand blasting and minion chucking from the word go. Thing did so goddamn much right.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #1330 on: September 03, 2021, 07:16:50 am »

Even better: Keep opening new small loans, let them hang around a day or two, pay them off, improve your credit score, and refi your big loan with your new lower rates since your credit score went up. (Or at least I think that's what's pushing up my credit score. Whatever it is, refinancing every few days is a tidy way to shave off your debt.)

I forgot that this is a game discussion.

Have I mentioned Fidel Dungeon Rescue before?  I have solved more than a year worth of daily puzzles at this point.  And the soundtrack is schmoovin'.

Such a lovable dog!  I only occasionally cry about him!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: September 03, 2021, 11:33:27 am »

I decided to get the pathfinder game.  The intro scenario is hilarious.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: September 03, 2021, 11:36:59 am »

That mostly just makes me remember Incursion, ha. Easily one of the best D&D ruleset interpretations I've encountered in part becase basically that, right there. It started you off at level one, but it was a level one where even the least mechanically complicated class (warrior) would be doing shit, right out the gate.

No vancian crap hobbling the casters, pretty much everyone had pretty damn neat tricks they could pull off even on level 1, even first floor enemies had a fair amount of potential tricks... it wasn't party based (well, sorta'), but there's been precious few D&D inspired games I've encountered that had the start be anything but a kill-ten-rats slog. Incursion had you cavalry charging and wuxia jumping and wand blasting and minion chucking from the word go. Thing did so goddamn much right.

Incursion is cool though I'm thinking a bit beyond just the gameplay options really, I guess.  Like something with the nature of being a higher level character that's not often touched on in the video games, or even in a lot of actual P&P games really, the expanding scope.  In old school D&D a fighter could build a fortress and have a retinue of soldiers at like level 11.  Going into a dungeon and fighting some monsters for treasure, even if the monsters are tough, isn't really the domain of high level characters, I think.  They can pay people to do that for them.  They should set their sights higher.

The crusade mechanic in this might help to make that more of a thing.
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: September 03, 2021, 12:38:34 pm »

So I picked up Star Dynasties, CK in space.  Definitely a much more limited scope.  New games are generated entirely randomly, other then your first leader, but you can random generate them too.  Whole family is also generated, with kids and all.  So you can start out stuck in a pretty bad place.

You’ll always be a duke with at least 3 subjects/barons.  Sometimes under another duke, but called an archon instead.

Now the dynasty.  Is kinda weird.  Is more a clan rather then a dynasty.  Anyone married into the family and random people you pick up, they are now considered ‘family’.  So if your daughter marries guy, with guy moving to your house, they are rated as close kin and are now yours.  If daughter dies before guy, you can have guy remarry.  Whoever guy marries is now also part of your house and considered close kin too. (Or you can marry guy out of the family, but usually you need the manpower and/or particular skill sets.)

Succession is always the first born.  Followed by the first born of the first born and so on.  Can’t change that without some violence.

There is no way to add more people to your house except via random events and marrying people in.  There are no commoners, only noble houses.  So the marriage pool is pretty threadbare.  Haven’t really seen new noble houses get created mid game, except maybe from a rebellion where there are no other local houses. 
This means if you give your other children/grandchildren a planet… it’ll only be them, their spouse and useless children running the planet.  It looks like they can adopt 1 free random though.  They’ll start out megagimped and not be able to properly handle themselves with only 2 characters able to do tasks.  The spouse and the free random.  The head of house does not do any tasks.

Depending on the layout, expansion can be really hard.  Rebellions, even those outside your borders will grind you down, cause your subjects can be asked to help either side of the conflict.  They will commit if they like either one or get bribed to do so.  Well, it is the same for your enemies. 
Another factor is distance, force projection.  Areas outside your capital’s range, you end up relying on your subjects to bring the fleets up for a fight. (I haven’t paid enough attention, but it feels like you entirely lose the ships that don’t make into into the battle cause of the distance penalty.)

Well, in short, I think this game could use more features and probably some polishing.  Definitely would like more ways to pick up house members other then the rabbit breeding program and rngesus.  Same for the AI really.

Looks like game might be moddable outside of the event mod tool it came with, so I’ll tinker with that first.

EDIT: Only a few things are moddable or at least not apparent, a fix came in for the crazyness of tagging most of the in-laws as close kin.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 08:50:29 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: September 03, 2021, 06:35:49 pm »

I wasn't aware of that feature, thanks i'll try this.
Managed to spare enough money so far (with some more bank loan) to field a Bastion and 2 Argosy in my fleet, so much good cargo run money (the Bastion is a medium warship with some good cargo space too)

I'm finding so many little areas in which the game can be broken-- I'm currently running one of the small zippy ships, with engines to the gills... and a fleet of like ten of those T1 freighters since they give the best cargo to price ratio. Ships unaccompanied in a system don't really seem to take damage or be attacked, so once you jump out, they can (slowly) follow you to your destination. If you're under attack at the origin/destination, you can do the equivalent of stairdancing until the map spawns a safe version.

Just running cargo is kind of boring though, so I'll probably just unload and take my ~15m net worth and plow it into warships to see what kind of havoc I can wreak...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 174