Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319961 times)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #900 on: July 21, 2020, 07:15:20 am »

One thing I really enjoy is how when you finish a game, either by getting killed or retiring, your character gets scored based on his deeds and earns points you can use to boost your next character's initial stats and equipment. I really enjoy those kind of mechanics where progress from one playthrough carries over to the next one somehow.

You may also like the rogue-like Dungeonmans. You're a recent graduate of a school for adventurers, go through dungeons to gain loot, xp, and most importantly proofs of being strong (by killing bosses or elite enemies). Proofs can be spent on stat points, and half of their value goes to all future characters at that school. You can also upgrade the alchemy lab by beating bosses (happens fast, and identifies potions for everyone who speaks to the alchemist) and upgrade the library by donating books (takes longer, identifies scrolls for anyone who speaks with the librarian before adventuring, and also provides 4 free books to each adventurer once it's fully upgraded).

It is possible, but very difficult to beat with your first character, but you'll probably end up gaining power over time before you win.
Sounds cool, added to my wishlist. Thanks for the recommendation!

I really dislike that. I'd prefer if roguelikes still started you off on even footing each time you start, but that stuff is becoming more and more common. In a normal roguelike, the only way to progress is to get better at the game and gain knowledge, but now they're just becoming your usual grindy rpg.
I can totally understand that. These kind of mechanics have become really pervasive in roguelites lately it feels, must be frustrating if you're more inclined to the old guard style.

Not gonna lie, I think getting something tangible, rather than abstract like game knowledge, out of a playthrough is what really sells me into it. But depending on the implementation I really feel its neat how they give a sense of a continuously evolving world rather than just something that just exists for the duration of your playthrough.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 21, 2020, 01:44:06 pm »

Hmmm, then let me throw DUSKERS out there. You remotely control drones as you scavenge the galaxy for resources and clues. You will eventually lose the drones, but will send out another set and keep the information.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 25, 2020, 10:35:41 am »

The Deep Paths: Labyrinth of Andokost

It's a low budget indie clone of Legend of Grimrock.

It's ok.  Nothing special.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 25, 2020, 05:43:41 pm »

I'm fine with strict roguelikes when progression is based upon knowledge and perhaps some skill. But usually what I see in roguelikes is progression based largely upon luck and RNG, and that's just gambling with extra steps which I don't find particularly fun.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 26, 2020, 05:20:50 am »

This isn't a particularly new game, but it's been a decade since I've felt this way about a game. If you enjoyed FF Tactics Advanced you gotta check out Horizon's Gate (and their other two tactics games, I guess. I haven't played those, though.)

A little costly, but I'd say worth it. Biggest elements of note: dope skill system with lots of mixing and matching like FFTA, piratey sea-theme, okay if shallow ship tactical combat.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 26, 2020, 08:50:40 am »

As i was reading articles about the end of flash becoming effective in December 31, 2020, it reminded me of the flash games/animations preservation project :

This may interest some people here.

As you know browsers have been moving away from adobe flash and enabling flash support in your favorite browser is certainly going to be impossible at some point, if not already.

Some people decided to create an open source project to preserve all the truckloads of flash games and animations that were so numerous around the internet some years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrU6RJbeKfo

Project Flashpoint :
https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/
Since early 2018, over a hundred contributors have helped Flashpoint save more than 49,000 games and 3,600 animations running on 16 different platforms.

The download comes in 2 versions, the one that is 492mb and will download the game content for the games you're wanting to play (and so will inflate of course the more different games you'll play) and the one that is ... 330gb but has absolutely everything (so no need for any content download).
Finally gave a try to the light version (Flashpoint Infinity) as there's no way my connection could download the full version :D and it's really excellent.
I went through my archives to seek good flash games with some meat, by that i mean flash games that do not enter the "it's a fun for the 5 minutes it last then you never play it again" category.

And i was happy to see that they're all available in this.

Here's my list of those kind of flash games i gathered from my archives so far if someone is interested
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Should be enough gameplay to live through a couple of years of lockdown :D

I probably missed some titles (either i don't remember them or didn't noted them in my archives) so if someone remember a flash game that was not only actually good but was more than just a "5 minutes fun and you'll forget about it" , i'm welcoming more suggestions.

I avoided clickers , i remember some of them wasting too many of my time, as i wish to avoid falling in that abyss again :D

I also do not list the runners (some were very fun like Dino Run, Canabalt, Miami/Sydney Shark), and tossers (i have fond memories of very good ones like Toss the Turtle or Burrito Bizon) but unfortunately they had no lasting or replay power for me.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:12:43 pm by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 26, 2020, 10:12:15 am »

*peers* I see a conspicuous lack of RPG Shooter: Starwish on that list.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 26, 2020, 11:04:03 am »

Hmm after checking a youtube video, while it's original, it does not seem very engaging to me as between 2 levels of a slower clone of Gradius it looks like more a visual novel with stats than actual rpg-ing.

edit :
Noticed the cards game "Elements" is available too on Flashpoint, very nice.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:57:05 pm by Robsoie »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 26, 2020, 02:19:34 pm »

I really dislike that. I'd prefer if roguelikes still started you off on even footing each time you start, but that stuff is becoming more and more common. In a normal roguelike, the only way to progress is to get better at the game and gain knowledge, but now they're just becoming your usual grindy rpg.
I don't really mind these systems when they aren't strictly necessary to succeed. A roguelite that gives me small boons and unlocks more playstyle options as I play gives me an incentive to keep trying and experiment with new stuff, but a roguelite with a gigantic numbers game that expects you to lose until you've done 200+ runs and unlocked all of the passive boosts is annoying and grindy.

This video does a really good job talking about the benefits and issues of progression systems in games, and I for one, definitely think that the benefits of a progression system that makes the game easier over time are ultimately dwarfed by the obvious drawback of encouraging grind over player skill and ruining a game's difficulty curve.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 27, 2020, 08:33:21 am »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/347250/F19_Stealth_Fighter/

Just stumbled on another game i played on ye olde 512 mb RAM computer from ye olde CD disk with a bunch of DOS games, but forgot the name of. At that time "engine whirring" was constant and undisablable, pierced doors and walls, went into other side of the house and made parents scream at me every time i tried to play this game. :P I never figured out how to play it properly. on a computer without inbuilt beep-thing
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:37:21 am by MCreeper »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 27, 2020, 09:13:03 am »

Playing more Caves of Qud, and I got a new achievement: To Thine Own Self be True. I had to have my face sliced off (losing the face slot), and then wear my severed face on my face slot. Being a 2-headed mutant obviously makes that easier, but I'd like to find a regeneration serum (ubernostrum) to regain that slot. Enemies that can remove slots aren't particularly nice.

Other fun achievements I've managed: "The Laws of Physics Are Mere Suggestions, Vol. 1": Violate the Pauli exclusion principle, "Love Thyself": fall in love with yourself, and "Eat an Entire Bear". This is a roguelike based on Ringworld (if I remember correctly). It's mostly hack-and-slash or shooting, but has a lot going on. Also, their basic "finish level 1" achievement that everyone who plays probably has is "Welcome to Qud": die. Roguelikes.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 27, 2020, 09:51:46 am »

Caves of Qud is quite good. Strange, but good.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 28, 2020, 12:59:36 pm »

Found in my archive old freebie Boson-X (apparently there's a commercial version with more levels now).
Nearly threw my computer through the window in the 4th level (the Graviton one) after so many failed attempts , the last straw :D was my last run on it when i was at 93% and touched a damn wall when trying to jump on the blue platform that would have made me hit the 100% bar to unlock the next level.

Then i saw this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RCX_R2FzYM
And understood it's really not a game for me .

edit : a day later, against my better judgment i decided to try again.
While it took me a lot more tries and stopping me from throwing my monitor against the wall, i finally did it
oh looks like i failed 53 times on this one :D

And as it seemed the new unlocked run (the Boson Y one) had some part feeling slightly easier and sometime i was lucky enough so they repeated, i tried several time and ... did it too

Wonder if i'll have the heart to try the last run of the freebie version , as with that game it takes a lot of willpower to stopping yourself from just taking your computer and throwing it through the window .

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:11:10 am by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 29, 2020, 02:22:36 pm »

Found in my archive old freebie Boson-X (apparently there's a commercial version with more levels now).
oh looks like i failed 53 times on this one :D

And as it seemed the new unlocked run (the Boson Y one) had some part feeling slightly easier and sometime i was lucky enough so they repeated, i tried several time and ... did it too

Wonder if i'll have the heart to try the last run of the freebie version , as with that game it takes a lot of willpower to stopping yourself from just taking your computer and throwing it through the window .[/spoiler]

"That doesn't look too bad." ... "Eh, looks fairly manageable still." ... "Ohhhh my, that's getting quick." ... "I've only gone through a third of that video?!"
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 29, 2020, 08:23:01 pm »

Freeman: Guerilla Warfare.

The game reeks of russian jank. It is absolutely lousy with bad translations, placeholder systems, and inevitable bugs. Trees are bulletproof, as are their branches, as are their leaves, they also have hitboxes that don't reflect their dimensions. There's a system for artillery and air support, it is totally random. Your enemies and allies regularly face the wrong direction.  I once got stuck on invisible geometry four times in a single battle.

BUT, there's a single perfect moment where you've crept along the map searching for enemy units and you see them before they see you. You fire your weapon and drop a target before the world explodes into gunfire and explosions. You instinctively hug cover, crawl on your belly, wait for the moment when the shooting stops to fire a few bullets back at targets you can scarcely see supported by the commoners you've armed and armored through blood sweat and tears. In that moment you fear for your allies, you conspire to succeed however you can, you throw yourself into the narrative, into the fray with wild abandon. In that single perfect moment the game is as engaging, as thrilling, as wonderful as anything that a triple a developer has ever produced.

Then it's back to the russian jank.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 174