Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Standards  (Read 3127 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Standards
« on: November 19, 2015, 01:33:52 pm »

Has anyone else ever stopped to think about how tight the tolerances and universally enforced the standards are of our little dwarfs?

Any boulder or log, for instance, can be chiseled into anything that can be made from stone or wood. When made of the same material, a statue of a dwarf hugging a badger weighs the same as a statue of a dwarf surrounded by elephants. In fact, all statues made of the same material weigh the same, regardless of their subject matter; this is also true of figurines. No matter how low or high quality a bed or chair is, we never hear about ones that are uncomfortable or awkward to use because of their size. Any chair can be used to eat at any table without any issues, regardless of the quality of either; you never hear about about tables being too tall or too short for the chairs they are paired with. If a hallway, whether natural, carved or constructed, can have any one specific door built into it, then it can have ANY door built into it. And mechanisms.....oh, don't even get me started on mechanisms. There are some other examples I can't think of off the top of my head, but what I'm getting at is that the dwarfs of Dwarf Fortress have achieved perfect interchangeability with everything they produce. For a medieval-ish society, that's incredible.

Now I know what some of you want to say next: "That's just the case because DF is currently incomplete; in future editions, there may be chairs and tables that don't go together and so on and so forth." That may be true. It may also be true that we currently don't have a gender-based division of labor because DF is incomplete and that we may see it in future editions, but does that stop us from imagining our dwarfs' society as being almost completely meritocratic? Nay! So let us reflect on just how astounding it is that our little dwarfs can be so incredibly uniform in everything they produce.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Standards
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:49:54 pm »

That's because they have personality and mental issues.  How a dwarf not value art, but then dreams about making art.

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 04:52:03 pm »

That's because they have personality and mental issues.  How a dwarf not value art, but then dreams about making art.

Well, a dwarf not value art, but Urist value art. A dwarf dreams about making art so Urist awestruck by dwarf.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 06:25:37 pm »

That made me laugh, JRHaggs. A mug of beer to ye.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 02:17:47 pm »

They are very much like humans in that. Some people hate things like art because they secretly wish they could be creative, but don't believe themselves capable.
Toady has made an incredibly realistic and complex game.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 04:35:57 pm »

Well, of COURSE everything's standard. These are DWARVES we're talking about. It would be anathema to them to create a chair that can't fit any given table, or a door that won't fit a doorway. Or to carve a passageway that ISN'T exactly right.

They aren't humans. There is no 'good enough'. It has to be exact. Even the clothing is one-size-fits-all, because dwarves themselves have been bred into standardisation.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

jontiben

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 04:49:25 pm »

They're Swiss.

Because of the LoTR movies, I've always imagined my Dwarves with Scottish accents. Now I imagine them with a confusing mix of French, German, Italian, and Romansh (whatever that sounds like).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 05:59:48 pm »

Well, of COURSE everything's standard. These are DWARVES we're talking about. It would be anathema to them to create a chair that can't fit any given table, or a door that won't fit a doorway. Or to carve a passageway that ISN'T exactly right.

They aren't humans. There is no 'good enough'. It has to be exact. Even the clothing is one-size-fits-all, because dwarves themselves have been bred into standardisation.
Unsmoothed passages aren't exactly right, though. They're described as rough and can be climbed.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 08:07:59 pm »

Unsmoothed passages aren't exactly right, though. They're described as rough and can be climbed.
Those are carefully planned hand-holds for when Dwarves are forced to throw themselves down pits. The ancient stonemasons knew well the dangers of fortress life when they designed the 'rough' wall.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 09:33:40 pm »

The miner carves out every boulder of rock or ore he makes to perfect standards, only to see it destroyed, but that is okay. It was his every intention to see it destroyed to produce furniture, trinkets, metal bars, etc; his purpose in carving that perfectly standardized boulder is to ease further processing of the stone. Much can said the same for rough gems, but walls, those are a very different matter. While every piece of ore has a destiny at the smelter, every gem at the jeweler's shop and a great number of stones at the mason's shop or craftsdwarf's shop, most walls are not destined to be engraved. The vast majority are destroyed in order to access the stone behind them, and smoothing them does not facilitate this process. Now imagine, if you will, how long mining would take if the miners had to stop and smooth every new wall they created. Horribly slow, isn't it? So for the sake of practicality, the dwarves choose to view rough walls not as imperfect and therefore unacceptable work, but incomplete work. The standardization of boulders and rough gems ensures that rough walls will always be roughly a certain distance apart; other than chiseling out a section for a door, no additional effort is required of the miner to produce acceptable rough walls in any circumstance.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:48:05 pm by cochramd »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 08:37:37 pm »

Looking over the list of ingreedients for my forts latest artifact, I think I've figured out how they do it.

Three rocks, any one which is suitable for making an entire coffin.
2 logs, any one which is again suitable for making an entire coffin.
2 stone blocks (not suitable for coffins, but good for making a fair section of wall)
2 metal bars
A gemstone
Leather.

All crammed into one mechanism.

Now, if there were leavings from that, I'd expect my dwarves would have had to clean them up, after all the game tracks even tears until they dry, so it's not a question of the dwarf taking two splinters from each log and a pebble from each stone...

It's not a tolerances thing.  It's a whole other kind of ability entirely.  The dwarf used the entirety of each ingredient, folding them into a pocket dimension linked to the artifact, incorporating the whole of each part into the final artifact.  I see no other possible explanation.

//Torrenal

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 08:50:04 pm »

It's not a tolerances thing.  It's a whole other kind of ability entirely.  The dwarf used the entirety of each ingredient, folding them into a pocket dimension linked to the artifact, incorporating the whole of each part into the final artifact.  I see no other possible explanation.

There's nothing strange or magical or "pocket dimension" about this.  Your artifact mechanism simply exists in more than three spatial dimensions.  Just as a two-dimensional being would perceive a sphere as a flat circle, what appears to be a simple mechanism is, in reality, that portion of a hyper-mechanism that intersects the dimensions that we can perceive.

The dwarves themselves also exist in at least four spatial dimensions, possibly more.  Once you accept this reality, so much of what they do and are starts to make sense.

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 08:55:04 pm »

Looking over the list of ingreedients for my forts latest artifact, I think I've figured out how they do it.

Three rocks, any one which is suitable for making an entire coffin.
2 logs, any one which is again suitable for making an entire coffin.
2 stone blocks (not suitable for coffins, but good for making a fair section of wall)
2 metal bars
A gemstone
Leather.

All crammed into one mechanism.

Now, if there were leavings from that, I'd expect my dwarves would have had to clean them up, after all the game tracks even tears until they dry, so it's not a question of the dwarf taking two splinters from each log and a pebble from each stone...

//Torrenal

I'm not saying it's aliens...but it's aliens.
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 09:38:55 pm »

There's nothing strange or magical or "pocket dimension" about this.  Your artifact mechanism simply exists in more than three spatial dimensions.  Just as a two-dimensional being would perceive a sphere as a flat circle, what appears to be a simple mechanism is, in reality, that portion of a hyper-mechanism that intersects the dimensions that we can perceive.

The dwarves themselves also exist in at least four spatial dimensions, possibly more.  Once you accept this reality, so much of what they do and are starts to make sense.
But would not these materials still retain their mass if made into 4 dimensional objects? It is well known that decorations do not increase an object's mass significantly, and that stone objects always have less mass then a boulder of the same kind of stone; the pocket dimension theory explains this. Then again I've never heard anything that explains how every variety of furniture has more mass than the metal bars used to create it.......

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 09:48:26 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-dimensional_space#Physics

That might check out
...or Toady has been secretly implementing in-game alchemy this whole time.
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture
Pages: [1] 2