Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258736 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Eyes of Terror
« Reply #2325 on: September 14, 2017, 09:21:14 pm »

"Is it that hard for directions to the airport?  I had one of those translator books once with phrases in it; wish I had it now.  And that they spoke French."

So where are we now anyway?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: September 15, 2017, 12:22:36 am »

Daniels shakes his head. Technically in a metaphorical sense since he was inside his own head, though if he shook his head here that could theoretically be classified as a head-

No, Jack. Stop contemplating shit, you came here for a reason. Get minder training later.

Call a collection of disciples over to me. Show each one of them a technique or maneuver Shores instructed me to do in my training session with her, and instruct them to practice that one specific technique in view of the statue. Since this is within my own mind, this will hopefully translate to greater mastery of Move Like This for me without having to spend endless amounts of time practicing on my part.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: September 15, 2017, 05:53:12 pm »

"... I'm fine, thank you. Not really in the mood. Though I might try something with the helmet, come to think of it."

Open the helmet a bit and release a little of the light into her. Again, observe results.

((I'll be going on holiday for a week so may not have Internet access. I can't really think of an action plan at the moment, though.))
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: September 17, 2017, 01:43:31 pm »

"Is it that hard for directions to the airport?  I had one of those translator books once with phrases in it; wish I had it now.  And that they spoke French."

So where are we now anyway?

It's hard to say what exactly this building might be for, but it definitely appears to have a large number of offices, mostly on the second floor, and also features a notable open air auditorium in the courtyard, carved out of yet more marble and forming a sizable depression. At the bottom of it is a pedestal from which, upon further testing, you realize it would be easy to make yourself heard to an audience of possibly hundreds. Furthermore, the far end of the circular building looks to feature a sizable array of dormitories, decent enough to sleep in but not particularly comfortable.

All in all you'd say this is probably some manner of school. Strangely there seems to be a near-complete lack of statues in here save for a couple that seem to be intently watching you next to the single exit, but are not at all keen to react to any provocation from the looks of it.

[Academic Pursuits: 3]

As you look around, however, you can't help but shake the feeling there's something else in here other than the statues, though beyond the occasional shadow at the edge of your vision you have no idea what it might possibly be.

Daniels shakes his head. Technically in a metaphorical sense since he was inside his own head, though if he shook his head here that could theoretically be classified as a head-

No, Jack. Stop contemplating shit, you came here for a reason. Get minder training later.

Call a collection of disciples over to me. Show each one of them a technique or maneuver Shores instructed me to do in my training session with her, and instruct them to practice that one specific technique in view of the statue. Since this is within my own mind, this will hopefully translate to greater mastery of Move Like This for me without having to spend endless amounts of time practicing on my part.

Ah, outsourcing your martial training to your unpaid horde of demonic students. All of the benefits, none of the grueling exercise!

[It's Really Quite Cryptical: 6]

Your students gather as you inform them about where to stand and what exactly they are to practice. Fortunately the exact minutes of your training have been very carefully preserved by your memory, and as soon as the manual is brought out your students begin practicing the appropriate exercises, dividing up in schools of North, West, East and South. They promise to have this figured out Real Soon, and get right to it.

Wow, look at them go. One of them kick another's head right open, spilling a bucket's worth of wriggling brainworms in the process. The victim then starts crawling around and scooping them back in with generous handfuls as he tries to hold his skull together while the kicker moves to do the same to another. This next one is a little more cautious and with a swift chop removes the offender's leg, running off with it to a dark corner - a few minutes later he is back one limb richer, and moving as if he's always had it on him, much to his rival's chagrin. Spin kicks work really well if you've got three legs, you subsequently observe.

"... I'm fine, thank you. Not really in the mood. Though I might try something with the helmet, come to think of it."

Open the helmet a bit and release a little of the light into her. Again, observe results.

((I'll be going on holiday for a week so may not have Internet access. I can't really think of an action plan at the moment, though.))

Eh, Cindy says, sorry to bother you about it, she's contractually obligated to ask. That's how it is with outdated business models - used to be the whole tell was lousy with whorehouses from top to bottom, but they've been closing down or languishing in obscurity for... well, for a dang long time, that's for sure.. Don't tell the madame that, of course, the place is her life and unlife's work, she gets real mad then. She has been looking into taking some classes to maybe branch out, but it's so hard finding a tutor around, you kn-

[The Light of Revelation: 6]

You take off your helmet as Cindy goes on with no sign of stopping and suddenly bathe her in a great deal more light from your face-gash. Cindy suddenly howls as the light burns into her and falls back against the wall, her spine cracking and joints dislocating as her body suddenly comes alive after decades or perhaps even centuries of dormancy. Life returns to her all at once and she collapses on the ground, the excitement having caused her to nearly fall apart. Her wig tumbles off, revealing a humbler head of stringy black hair, preserved a little better than you would expect of someone who's been dead for centuries.

She lays there, obviously discomfited but simultaneously delighted as you put the helmet back on. That appears to have worked out a lot of the kinks, she comments in a pained voice, though it does look as though she's had a bit of an accident in the process, she says as she tries to bonelessly wiggle on the ground. Don't suppose you'd like to be a gentleman and pop her limbs back into place, would you? Oh, and something something another round, just to cover herself legal-wise.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: September 17, 2017, 05:13:27 pm »

"Excellent, my pupils. I will be back to absorb what you have learned in the future. Good luck."

They Call Me Doctor: Opportunistic Orderly

Time to go back to the real world.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: September 18, 2017, 07:30:59 am »

"Oh, my apologies if I frightened anyone," I say to the guard. "The speaker asked me to hunt the ghoul that was lurking in this building. So I did. I was just about to report back to her - do you know the way?" If the guard gives me directions to the speaker, I head over to tell her that the ghoul has been killed.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: September 18, 2017, 09:01:44 am »

Keep poking around.  Literally as needed.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: September 19, 2017, 03:24:57 pm »

"So, what, did you create me? Am I dead? I have some questions that remain unanswered here."

Probe madwoman for answers while I wait.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: September 20, 2017, 09:47:58 am »

"Excellent, my pupils. I will be back to absorb what you have learned in the future. Good luck."

They Call Me Doctor: Opportunistic Orderly

Time to go back to the real world.

An interesting proposition - can any world be said to be properly real? What exactly makes the world in which you are on a ship more real than the one in which you run a mountain temple filled with subservient monsters? Perhaps they are not different worlds at all, and you are merely occupying a different part of it while you operate your mindscape? Truly, if you examined the proofs you suspect the results may surprise you - maybe all things are simulated, mere illusions generated by some kind of terrible intellect possessing an unknown purpose?

One thing is for sure - you don't actually care and instead return to the real world, where you see that you are still in the hold and, in what was clearly a wise move by any potential passersby, utterly undisturbed. Now you only need to remember what else you wanted to do today.

"Oh, my apologies if I frightened anyone," I say to the guard. "The speaker asked me to hunt the ghoul that was lurking in this building. So I did. I was just about to report back to her - do you know the way?" If the guard gives me directions to the speaker, I head over to tell her that the ghoul has been killed.

Oh man, says the stoat-guard. Oh boy! You got the ghoul! His terror appears to instantly evaporate and he grins toothily, clapping his hands together. The ghoul's been got!

He leans out the door - hey, boys, that monster hunter lady got the ghoul! The ghoul is dead! You hear a murmuring, followed by a cheer. Turning around, the stoat bows deeply - can't thank you enough, miss. To tell you the truth he had been scared to go out in the streets the entire past week - you could sense something was off, was the thing.

[Turning In Your Quests: 6]

You shrug modestly and ask him again if he knows how to get to the speaker real quick-like - great idea, he says! He'll tell everyone you've gone and got the ghoul, he begins to gesture, and you go let the speaker know and make sure nobody else has to. Perfect allocation of duties right there!

He spends a moment relaying a vague set of directions to you - head toward the center of town, right past the new library and the new courthouse (not the old library or the old courthouse, he takes special care to tell you) and it'll be there, real serious looking house. You just go right in there and tell her what you told him, maybe put a few more dramatic touches on to- well, anyway, he's got to be off now. Thanks again for getting the ghoul though! Hoo boy, he was not looking forward to running into it on a dark night, let him tell you.

Having said all that the stoat-guard vacates the premises jauntily, and on your way out you pass by his unit as they discuss where exactly they'll be celebrating for tonight. They seem to head in the direction of the Nuts & Humphrey, and soon you find yourself followed by a wave of good news - shouts about the ghoul being got spread as readily in this city as they would in a small village, the stoatman population apparently ecstatic with relief at the news. Impromptu parties ensue just behind you as bakers and brewers alike are suddenly struck by fits of generosity.

At last you come into the speaker's house - they do not appear to have been expecting you, and indeed look quite surprised as you explain that you've gone out and successfully solved the ghoul trouble. The speaker's brow furrows a little before resolving itself when you clarify that you mean you've killed the damn thing. You think you perceive the faintest hint of a smile.

Pretty good work, the speaker nods as you conclude a brief account of the perils you've faced. And prompt as well, which is the important bit. Suppose you've earned a reward then. They think a second. Don't have much of a budget at the moment, mind. They lean forward, rubbing their smooth chin.

Aha, they figure, you need any papers written or stamped? Could write up a proper monster hunting license in the names of you and your friend, maybe. Put their stamp on that and nobody with at least half the sense goodness gave a cabbage is likely to give you any trouble from here to the southern coast.

Keep poking around.  Literally as needed.

You start to comb through the school in search of strange secrets and also whoever the heck is also in here.

[The Chamber of Secrets: 1]

And sure enough, you do pick up a trail as you have everyone fan out - you see a shadow run along a hallway in the dormitories and begin to give chase. They seem a little faster than you, but you manage to not lose them as you turn corners and burst through a set of dormitories, politely asking them to stop and maybe tell you what exactly they're doing around here, but they don't seem eager to respond. You carry on a shouted one-sided conversation with the figure as you explain, perhaps as much for your own peace of mind as their information, and eventually make your way down the stairs to the basement, where you know for a fact they'd be almost certainly cornered.

Sadly they appear to have planned for this, as the only response as you slip down the stairs is a slam of the heavy door behind you, followed by it being bolted. Maybe you shouldn't have told the shadow about that part, on reflection.

"So, what, did you create me? Am I dead? I have some questions that remain unanswered here."

Probe madwoman for answers while I wait.

She definitely didn't create you, Peaks says, it just seems to have happened as a result of some of her manipulations - maybe an accident, maybe something else? Basically you grew out of a chunk of muscle she extracted from that Daniels guy she mentioned pretty much spontaneously, and while she might have some vague idea of why that might be, she can't really say for sure why you seem to have manifested at that exact moment or circumstance. It was, however, pretty cool to watch and try to puzzle out what was going on.

As for whether you're dead, that's kind of a muddy question to get into. Guess you're kind of dead - just like Mr. Daniels you seem to be made after a template of an actual person, complete with identity and mostly uninterrupted memories. On the other hand you're still walking around and talking and for all intents and purposes don't remember ever dying unless you haven't been telling her everything, so you could just look on the bright side and say that you're living a different kind of life rather than being a mock-up of a human being covering up a terrifying construct of nether-flesh that only barely obeys physical laws. Peaks notices the way you're looking at her as she says this and laughs - believe it or not, she says, but even if you were human once, you're definitely something else now. Mostly in a cool way though, not in a terrible and dangerous way. You don't come with any Words, do you? Didn't think so.

Anyway, she's going out to check on her friend, Two Shores. You wanna come with or are you gonna be all right in here?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: September 20, 2017, 10:30:10 am »

Oh dear.  Well, it's not like Thomas had actually done anything wrong.

"Ah.  Hello there!  Didn't mean to startle you.  I'm just looking for directions, really; no one here knows where the airport is.  Or at least won't tell me.  Maybe not asking the right way?"

Defuse and ask for directions.  Expand more on question if there's no response.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:07:59 pm by Toaster »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: September 20, 2017, 11:02:26 am »

-snip-

I should clarify that the shadow is not down there with you. It must have been hiding behind the door and stepped around it as you went down the stairs, locking you in the basement completely alone.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: September 20, 2017, 12:08:47 pm »

((Got it; thank you.))

Oops.  Well, this can't be all that bad, can it?

Look around.  Is there another way out?  Or anything of interest?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: September 20, 2017, 03:35:23 pm »

"Well, that was productive. Let's go to Peaks again, Linda - perhaps we can figure out what that lock coming to life was all about."

Go find Peaks with the intent of asking her Linda questions. I say intent because that might get derailed by the sight of Mr. Fischgartner.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: September 21, 2017, 08:01:34 am »

"Yeah, that sounds like something that would come in handy," I tell the speaker. "I don't want to impose, but is there anywhere that we could stay for the night? We should probably wait to leave town until the morning. Any little room would be fine - the doctor prefers a mattress, I believe, but I'm fine sleeping on the floor. And Oggie can just hang out nearby."

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: September 22, 2017, 04:22:25 pm »

Rindle blinks a few times. "Sure, why not."

Best to play along for now. Follow crazy, and meet the other probable crazy. Assuming this Two-Shores is in fact real, and not a figment of the woman's evidently large imagination. You never know with these types. Ponder my own existence, and my relationship to Peaks and that Daniels' guy- though not in earnest, as I have no real reason to take Peaks' ramblings as anything other than entertaining (if mildly concerning) lunacy.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 161