Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 257961 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Tearing the Stitches of Reality
« Reply #1635 on: September 25, 2016, 05:12:55 pm »

"They ditched me? I can't believe this! My own gods ditched me! My party... Well fuck it then, back to world domination."

As a son of vikings, I'm master seas and king of oceans, it is my birthright. Heed my call, ye who are broken, and calm thy tits!

[Getting Your Sea Legs: 6]

Tired of shouting at the sky, you start shouting at the sea instead. You've got a lot of shouting in you, you discover. The sea, meanwhile, seems to have calmed down considerably after purging its most violent elements into the skies, and then back down to explode the earth violently for miles around. That is, until you shout it back to some measure of attention, at which point the earth noticeably sinks beneath your feet, a wave of chaotic wills crashing against it to bring you closer so that a better look and feel can be had of your ideas and intentions.

Thomas called out to the recent crossers.  "Pardon me!  Do any of you know anything about earthquakes?"

The two look at you as you edge through the crowd to get closer.

[Forbidden Knowledge: 6]

WELL, the young lad starts to explain, as it happens, an earthquake is how the earth relieves stress! You see, a lot of stress builds up in the earth as a result of a variety of unnatural acts perpetrated upon the fabric of reality by mysterious entities from beyond time and space and-

No, the young lady says. No they do not.

"Do you live in a town or city? Maybe down there?" I gesture towards the depths.

The fisher looks downward. Would you think so? A town or city, down there? She remembers the brightest day she has ever seen, barely thirty thousand days ago. She would look down, and maybe there was a tower? She has never seen a tower, but if it were anything at all, it would likely be a tower.

And then there was the darkest of nights, some thirteen days in the past. Visitors came up, she heard. Reliable sorts. Would you believe? But what they wanted or ate, nobody found out. They did not speak anyone's language.

"Just fucking fling me across, I'll live. Oh wait you're not strong like me. Never mind, I'll go across myself."

While I'm talking, try to snag that well containment thing he still has. If I succeed in that, fling it into the crowd on the other side, hopefully hard enough to break the container.

[The Logic of Space: 2]

You begin searching inside Mr. Wilde's clothing for a large egg covered in gold, disappearing into folds you decide not to question as your hands quest and search far and wide.

[Fast Fingers: 6 vs. 3]

You're about elbow deep in there before- aha! There it is! Your boneless fingers close around it. Now to retrieve it without him...!

[Shadow Thievery: 3 vs. 2]

As Mr. Wilde unceremoniously drops you on the ground, you flop on your stomach, having extracted the serpent's egg with an unsettling fleshy sound perfectly covered by the unsettling fleshy sound you make upon hitting the ground. Success! Now to execute your best idea yet!

[Olympic God Put: 2]

You stand up and then proceed to vastly overestimate the precision of your throwing arm as it whips and flops with the egg in hand, letting go at an inopportune time as you send it flying into the riverside sludge on the other side far to your left, where it lands softly enough to not suffer a single scratch in the process. Though it does start to gently roll toward the river as the earth continues to shake.

"If you say so. We probably won't be seeing each other again, so best of luck out there. Cheerio, then!"
Drop Daniels and then try to catch up with Nately and Deirdre.

You drop Daniels, his twisted and abused body making a terribly awful noise as you do it, and leave him to his own devices as you go toward the bridge.

[Astute As Always, Mr. Wilde: 3]

You are vaguely aware of Mr. Daniels emitting a rather terrible groan a few moments after you drop him, and you think you see something rather shiny flying over the river in the corner of your eye. And if you're not mistaken, that's definitely some kind of weird menace you feel in the air now. Huh.

Oh well, you suppose you'll worry about that after you cross the bridge, which proves eminently doable now that you're not particularly heavy and can concentrate on not falling off or stepping on anything that looks particularly precarious. You make it to the other side and see Nately and Deirdre making friends with Mr. Minstep. Or perhaps the other way around.

The shiny glint of something in the far distance catches your eye before you can join the conversation, though. It's a bit difficult to make out at this distance, though.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: September 25, 2016, 05:24:59 pm »

Hey wait, I have Words for this.

REND that there container apart.

((I halp))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: September 25, 2016, 10:25:08 pm »

"Ah.  Uh.  Well, this one seems to be rather unusually long, does it not?  It doesn't seem like the structure was built with earthquakes in mind, really.  Oh, I am Thomas Minstep!  I'm trying to get back to Albany.  The lord's mother said I could find an airport to get there to the north.  Er.  Where the metallic dragons land and take off, I believe?"

Talk to new friends while the world falls apart.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: September 27, 2016, 10:33:37 am »

This is a very strange place. "You asked me if I wanted to observe. What is there here for me to observe?"

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: September 27, 2016, 12:54:15 pm »

Strange, I should probably check that out. They seem to be fine with Mr. Minstep.
Have a closer look at the shiny thing.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: September 27, 2016, 03:28:15 pm »

My ideas: Sublimate ocean's directionless chaos into more constructive form.
My intentions: Dominate the world as supreme being. And party hard.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: September 29, 2016, 03:34:37 pm »

Hey wait, I have Words for this.

REND that there container apart.

Helpful as always, you let it rip. Or more accurately, you let it

REND

[Word: 2]

And rend it does! About twenty feet to the left of your target, granted, but it rends! You really show that shoreline what for, you tell yourself what.

"Ah.  Uh.  Well, this one seems to be rather unusually long, does it not?  It doesn't seem like the structure was built with earthquakes in mind, really.  Oh, I am Thomas Minstep!  I'm trying to get back to Albany.  The lord's mother said I could find an airport to get there to the north.  Er.  Where the metallic dragons land and take off, I believe?"

Talk to new friends while the world falls apart.

[Being Friendly: 5]

She wouldn't know, she hasn't actually been in any earthquakes, the young lady says, looking back at the castle, now little more than a large pile of rubble. Sure picked a hell of a time to start quaking, though. Deirdre, by the way - she- wait, she says, you're one of them, aren't you? One of who, you logically ask. She looks at you, trying to think of a good description. You know, she decides on one at last, like Mr. Wilde. Not from here. So to speak.

Fruit of mysterious arcane powers, says the other guy! Made of a malleable substrate, able to assume forms and capabilities undreamed of by mere-

REND

-huh, the fellow turns around. That sounded like a Word! Fascinating!

This is a very strange place. "You asked me if I wanted to observe. What is there here for me to observe?"

Deeper in, things are different. There is much to see, more to feel. Would you like to head into the wilds? They are safe, as long as you do not swim too far down, or agitate the darker places. There are more puddles, more lakes. She has traveled among many. They are harder to reach through, however, so she does not fish there for the most part. Would you like to see?

Strange, I should probably check that out. They seem to be fine with Mr. Minstep.
Have a closer look at the shiny thing.

[Ooh, Shiny: 4]

There is something shiny in the sky, you notice, like little twinkling stars. Must be pretty bright to show up in daytime, you suppose. And, if you're not missing your mark, they're also coming closer. You wonder how far they are, because they sure seem to be moving pretty fast, a distant roar building up as the earthquake starts to weaken.

REND

You snap to attention as you notice a bit of the shoreline being rather brutally rent apart some distance ahead. Oh, and look, there's your precious well-egg! How'd it wind up there? Is Mr. Daniels being cheeky again?

My ideas: Sublimate ocean's directionless chaos into more constructive form.
My intentions: Dominate the world as supreme being. And party hard.

[Fight The Ocean And You Will Drown: 4]

Forming something permanent or purposeful out of this complete mess would be like making a snowman out of radioactive waste - a noble effort at providing much-needed cheer, and pretty fun to attempt at that until your hair falls out and your face begins to melt.

[Touch of the Sea: 4]

Which does raise the question, should you really be breathing this? The sea-spray is making your lungs tickle more and more, and you can see episodes of your life as a miner flash on your skin as they play in fast-forward, leaving small pits of annihilated flesh when they disappear. Tingles a lot, actually. Plus the ground beneath your feet is crumbling a bit quickly, and there's quite possibly a whole infinity of terrible light beneath all that.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: September 29, 2016, 07:29:09 pm »

"What?  Oh, yes, I am a visitor.  I came from Albany, actually.  New York, you know?  Was about to head off to go there when this mess started.  Oh dear, that'll be a mess to clean up.  Did Mr. Wilde come from New York as well?  Maybe the city?"

He just ignored the raving fellow.  Probably torn up over seeing his home crumble.

Ask silly questions.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: September 29, 2016, 07:54:26 pm »

FUCKING UNRELIABLE REALITY WARPING

MURDER-THOUGHT GO-GO CUT THAT CONTAINER OPEN
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: September 30, 2016, 11:25:40 am »

"Incoming flying objects!"
Shout to warn everyone whilst running to grab the egg. And hopefully distract Daniels from whatever he's doing.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: September 30, 2016, 03:30:36 pm »

"Hey hey, not so close! We aren't married yet."

Miner's lung is a bad disease I don't plan catching.

Hmm, this control thing doesn't seem to be working very well. While I advance backwards I think what kind of guidance I can actually give this waste of aliens. And its relationship with the well. Both seem equally unreasonable.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: September 30, 2016, 04:30:19 pm »

"Yes, that sounds great." I follow wherever she leads.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: October 01, 2016, 01:00:15 pm »

"What?  Oh, yes, I am a visitor.  I came from Albany, actually.  New York, you know?  Was about to head off to go there when this mess started.  Oh dear, that'll be a mess to clean up.  Did Mr. Wilde come from New York as well?  Maybe the city?"

He just ignored the raving fellow.  Probably torn up over seeing his home crumble.

Ask silly questions.

That... doesn't sound familiar, sorry. She wouldn't know, but he sounds like he's from a different place than you are - different accent, y'see. Another country, maybe?

Oxford, raves the young blacksmith, he's a master from Oxford! That was the place! Deirdre stares at him, then at you. She's not heard of Oxford either, clearly.

FUCKING UNRELIABLE REALITY WARPING

MURDER-THOUGHT GO-GO CUT THAT CONTAINER OPEN

[Acting With Initiative: 1 vs. 2]

By the time your murder-thought, confused with all this relatively undirected pain troubling you at all times, manages to try and get moving in the right direction, Mr. Wilde has unfortunately seized the container and secreted it away on his own person, your thoughts scratching at the ground where he stood as he goes to warn the others!

... for a moment you think he might be warning them about you, but then you notice distant bright lights, and slightly less distant bright explosions as the lights come closer. Uh.

"Incoming flying objects!"
Shout to warn everyone whilst running to grab the egg. And hopefully distract Daniels from whatever he's doing.

[Acting With Initiative: 2 vs. 1]

You do manage to grab the egg, and your shouts fall upon rather ready ears, the guard commander turning to the horizon.

[Emergency Response: 1]

Well, she says to the approaching lights as the distant countryside starts to explode beneath them. Maybe today isn't going to be such a good day after all. The others also look up, the last time they've seen anything of the sort being... actually a couple of days ago, truth be told, but still it's pretty unusual.

"Hey hey, not so close! We aren't married yet."

Miner's lung is a bad disease I don't plan catching.

Hmm, this control thing doesn't seem to be working very well. While I advance backwards I think what kind of guidance I can actually give this waste of aliens. And its relationship with the well. Both seem equally unreasonable.

Advancing backwards, that bravest of euphemisms.

[Pulled Up By The Bootstraps: 2]

You turn around and notice that the island of rock you've been standing on has been progressively sinking down and floating into the center of the canyon, having slid about thirty feet down and five feet off the edge. You suppose that explains the rising feeling of dread, then!

As for what guidance you can give, the answer is simple - very limited guidance. Compelling images and intriguing instructions to capture the limited imagination of the more sentient currents, with the understanding that it may be a matter of seconds or minutes before they lose interest and discorporate.

[Otherworldly Contemplation: 3]

As for the well, interesting question. The well is dark and wants to screw you over. The sea is light and wants to eat you. Could they be the logical opposites of each other?

"Yes, that sounds great." I follow wherever she leads.

Stay close. It gets confusing in the dark.

[Where The Sun Don't Shine: 3]

You brush up against algal towers as you head deeper, balancing carefully to keep to an adequate clip as you practice your underwater kangaroo hops, getting to a decent pace as you trail behind the fisher, holding on to her back. Your sense of balance is trained slowly into walking upside down, and your movements grow more natural as you move through the other-swamp, passing banks rich in bony shells, the occasional tiny mollusc landing on your face and examining a patch of it with ticklish feelers before pronouncing it unfit for its eggs and moving along.

The algae die off rapidly at first as you move away from the light, the shapes touching you becoming more stunted and less recognizable, reactive stalks and tentacles touching you several times before retracting, a slight irritation persisting as you move along. Some hops disturb teeming hives of invertebrate bottom feeders, others land on the solid surface of a feeding clam or produce the unnerving squelch of a sponge. A whole unseen ecosystem writhes around you in passing, shrouded in dark and fed by detritus from a source that currently still eludes you.

Eventually the fisher leads you to what looks a lot like a small pond. At best large enough for three to lie in, it constitutes a small break in that a little light comes in through it, a dark and murky reflection forming on the surface.

[An Excellent Spot: 5]

The fisher becomes still suddenly. You are about to ask what the matter is, but she shushes you as well. Over there, her tentacled hand points. Do you see?

You look ahead, and you do notice something - a considerable shadow on the surface of the pond, continuous with a delicate underside and two upside-down paddling feet. Though... not actually upside-down, now that you think about it. The fisher prepares a net. Give her your blessings, mermaid. This may prove to be a good day for catching yet.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: October 01, 2016, 03:54:33 pm »

"The well and the sea are two sides of same coin. And it sucks on both sides."

It's a fine day for stupid plans. INEVITABLE way to safe(r) ground.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 01, 2016, 04:24:00 pm »

Oh my. This doesn't look good.
One REVELATION as to the nature of the UFOs, please. Daniels can wait.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 161