Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258610 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Unlocking Potential
« Reply #1185 on: June 20, 2016, 11:54:03 pm »

Leif stands up dusting himself in progress.

"Hmh, well, I was trying to learn how to levitate. I almost did. Then you interrupted me. Minding appears to be all about focus, unfortunately. Thankfully, the other magic isn't, though both are expectionally unreliable."

Guess I have to leave studying arcane matters when I have time for it. Now, let's look for paths of entry and exit, points where kidnapping suitable person happens, and safe undisturbed place for interrogation. This time we need to go in with a plan.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 22, 2016, 05:38:28 am »

"Every time I leave for five minutes they break reality, I swear. Probably that Minett lady with her hunger or chaos words again. You'd really think she'd learn not to overuse those. Or words in general, hell. Unpredictable things."

Take a quick peek outside. Determine what's going on, what's making that racket, and where the blacksmith's place is relative to me.

[Sneak Peek: 2]

You don't think it's a good idea to look outside, really. It sounds very violent and not at all like a place for reasonable folk to wander around. Unearthly screaming, fleshy flopping, thousands of blades scratching against one another, a spot of mid-fight banter. You don't think you need to be out there at all. You'd just get in the way.

fuck

Let's see what happens when I launch some explosive cysts like this! That should scare off anyone trying to mess with me, at least.

[Fun With Explosives: 3]

You feel something explode, at least. What that might be and whether this has helped matters any is a whole other question. You're a little deprived of any sensory information at the moment, although it does feel like the fight is still very much on, and suspiciously evenly matched at that.

Brilliant. Mortal danger at just the right time.
Sensory input would be really nice right now, so concentrate as hard as possible on trying to receive some through this void. At least some should be making it through.

[Hacking the Giblets: 3]

If you listen in very carefully, you do sense the vibration of nearby explosions, the sound of hissing, the feel of something trying to devour you whole without your consent and the righteous indignation that makes you want to repay with the exact same. It feels like a remarkably indecisive conflict at the moment, as if you were trying to fight something very similar to yourself.

My, these effects really are something else-

"Ouch!  Goodness, that was a bit direct!  Maybe you're getting a bit excited with the show?

Let's turn the audience participation the other way; where he's getting hit this time.

[Round The Presumable Fifth: 1 vs. 4]

Excitement is only to be expected. One has to defend one's claim to the place with all due intensity. Like so.

You feel a long gray claw close around your foot from behind as one seizes it after a highly improbable sidestep. You are whipped up from your feet with incredible strength and brought in an arc right into the stones of the nearby wall, impacting flatly as you are slammed against it, then thrown across the courtyard into the wall of a building, leaving a massive dent surrounded by cracks as you slump out of it onto the ground, one sprinting toward you for a followup maneuver as you rise to defend yourself again.

Leif stands up dusting himself in progress.

"Hmh, well, I was trying to learn how to levitate. I almost did. Then you interrupted me. Minding appears to be all about focus, unfortunately. Thankfully, the other magic isn't, though both are expectionally unreliable."

Guess I have to leave studying arcane matters when I have time for it. Now, let's look for paths of entry and exit, points where kidnapping suitable person happens, and safe undisturbed place for interrogation. This time we need to go in with a plan.

Lee nods. Sorry. She will try to not interrupt your tree climbing in the future.

[Surveying the Area: 4]

Looking back on the town, you begin to formulate a plan. Where would you find fewer patrols, emptier places, more spots to hide, greater degrees of discretion in terms of people theft? It stands to reason that this would be in the outskirts - the outlying farms, plantations and the wineries would likely afford at least some secluded spots, although you're unsure if any humans are permitted to live in them. You'd assume there should be at least one or two, but how correct such an assumption is to make, you have no earthly idea. You guess you could try to improvise some kind of mental scanning solution, though if your luck with improvising your minding holds this is likely to end in some variety of disaster.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 22, 2016, 05:50:45 am »

I struggle for control of my senses and/or actions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 22, 2016, 01:33:15 pm »

"Yeah, know what, that's probably a reasonable conclusion to come to- hold up a second. When the hell did I become so cowardly? I could probably literally rip someone in half with my bare ... hand right now. Wouldn't be much of an obstacle to me.
I think I am still hurt from that while ago, though. And I seem to have this crossbow bolt stuck in my throat. Should fix that."

Sit down and ... meditate upon healing, I suppose? Make my wounds go away! Also extract that crossbow bolt without further hurting myself if possible.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 22, 2016, 03:32:15 pm »

Well, at least I can hear a little, even if said hearing raises more questions than it answers. Sight could solve them, though, if it weren't for the darkness... Speaking of which, this is my mind after all - perhaps some adjustments are in order?
Fiat Lux.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 22, 2016, 03:36:40 pm »

"Allright, kidnapping it is. Like, seriously. Better stay on outskirts, I think, less trouble to run away when things inevitably go south."

I have this another scanning method, the INEVITABLE one, though let's not focus on parts where things go sour. Share results of violating causality with Lee and proceed with plan "Kidnap someone helpful".
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 22, 2016, 05:33:07 pm »

Focus on the counterattack!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 23, 2016, 04:07:06 am »

I struggle for control of my senses and/or actions.

[Put The Beast Down: 1]

When you struggle, you do not struggle with an equal foe. The power of the substrate is without rational limit. It cannot be overpowered, or beaten down - this is simply not possible, for your interaction with it is not based on superiority in strength or power of assertion.

As such, your pleas fall on deaf auditory antennae. You cannot restrict, you can only allow. And you have allowed far too much already, even if mostly against your own will.

"Yeah, know what, that's probably a reasonable conclusion to come to- hold up a second. When the hell did I become so cowardly? I could probably literally rip someone in half with my bare ... hand right now. Wouldn't be much of an obstacle to me.
I think I am still hurt from that while ago, though. And I seem to have this crossbow bolt stuck in my throat. Should fix that."

Sit down and ... meditate upon healing, I suppose? Make my wounds go away! Also extract that crossbow bolt without further hurting myself if possible.

[Don't Leave It In: 2]

You tug at the crossbow bolt in your throat as you begin to meditate. It starts bleeding a little again and hurts decidedly more than a little, which is about as much confirmation as you need that messing with it without appropriate tools and expertise is likely a poor idea.

The fact that you are presently bleeding and in a little pain also happens to put something of a damper on your meditation.

Well, at least I can hear a little, even if said hearing raises more questions than it answers. Sight could solve them, though, if it weren't for the darkness... Speaking of which, this is my mind after all - perhaps some adjustments are in order?
Fiat Lux.

[Let There Be Sense: 1]

There is no problem as far as you can tell. Your body seems to have a perfectly sensible goal ahead of itself, and that is to eat the treacherous Ms. Minett before it is eaten in turn.

Perhaps when that's done you could be consulted for more input. For now, relax! It's going to be all right.

"Allright, kidnapping it is. Like, seriously. Better stay on outskirts, I think, less trouble to run away when things inevitably go south."

I have this another scanning method, the INEVITABLE one, though let's not focus on parts where things go sour. Share results of violating causality with Lee and proceed with plan "Kidnap someone helpful".

Really, as long as you can keep resting and/or slaughtering any resistance, you don't see how this could fail. Thus accomplishing your mission is all but

INEVITABLE

[Word: 5]

You let the inexorable future roll into your mind in great waves of potential, unsuccessful forays canceling each other out as the corpses pile up and chaos mounts, until the whole of the town is aflame once again... and then it comes to you.

There is a vineyard in the outskirts, with a winery attached. Within is a collaborator, somewhat damaged, and several soldiers who are not taking part in the siege. Half a dozen soldiers, specifically, and four guards beside that. He is the last of their prisoners, and will help you if found. No kidnapping required, though some murder will be necessary. The slow response time of the rest of the town in this event, however, will be very handy. And if you fail, which occurs to you as an outlying possibility, retreat is still very possible.

Focus on the counterattack!

[Glorious Counterattack: 4 vs. 2]

Having been on this ride once, you dare say you have a good idea of what's about to happen next. So you're hardly surprised when one's final step toward you extends further than it should, landing right behind you. Suffice to say, it is not a trick that works twice.

You turn around with a sweep of the blade. It meets no resistance in one's flesh, cleaving it along the waist easily as you put your back into the swing. You read one's next step perfectly, and bring the backswing through his splitting body again in a diagonal cut from hip to shoulder, and meet one's following stumble with a final slice along its neck, sending one's head rolling along the ground. Why not go the distance, you suppose. Seems like he's a sturdy sort, he ought to be able to take decapitation.

You observe curiously as the cut-off legs begin to run in one direction, each arm and torso fragment in another, and the head rolls in a circle for a bit as it tries to shepherd the parts together, each of the wayward bits whimpering as they try to get together again. You approach, blade at the ready, as one assembles oneself once more, standing before you more than a little unsteadily, the grayness giving way in places to an underlying heart of darkness.

Quite the duel, one has to admit, head lolling a little as one's parts have visible trouble staying together. Shall the two of you see it through to the conclusion?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:45:02 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 23, 2016, 04:14:40 am »

"This entire experience is rather miffing me. I think Wilde just earned a few more theoretical displaced vertebrae."

Meditation first then. Inflicting pain upon others after.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 23, 2016, 05:29:21 am »

"Ah, I found our target! The winery over there! Say, are you feeling up for murder? Four guards and few soldiers stands in our way. The guy will be cooperative if we off few of them. I think they are torturing him."

Affix bayonets! Raise spears! Because tonight we don't dine in hell, but get comfortably drunk in winery! Let's get closer unseen and confirm that magic did not lie to me.

((Is my Induced Inebriation: Comfortably Drunk still a fact? I feel like I have tried few times to get rid of it.))
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 23, 2016, 05:45:49 am »

((Is my Induced Inebriation: Comfortably Drunk still a fact? I feel like I have tried few times to get rid of it.))

It isn't, actually. I just forgot to remove it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 23, 2016, 07:01:10 am »

"I suppose this is why I am here.  Might as well get my money's worth, as it were?"

Let's end this.  No idea how they're doing these effects any more.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 23, 2016, 11:30:42 am »

"I suppose this is why I am here.  Might as well get my money's worth, as it were?"

Let's end this.  No idea how they're doing these effects any more.
((Still in denial mode, huh?))
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 23, 2016, 01:44:56 pm »

Crap, I'm running out of options. And flesh, most likely.

I try to HUNGER again. I need voracious strength to defeat this opponent.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 23, 2016, 04:28:26 pm »

Very funny. I'm almost disappointed - you'd think even when going mad I'd think of something more plausible than that. I explained this to the blacksmith - what is the body but a collection of elements in a specific form, blindly obeying a series of signals from the brain? Completely incapable of thought or rebellion.
Nice try, but I'm not insane enough to believe that yet.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 161