Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258968 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Tippler's Koans
« Reply #840 on: March 25, 2016, 09:03:43 pm »

"Right, anyway here we are. I'm told you possess a magical word thing that'd let you get this here stained glass window out of the frame without it breaking. Take as much time as you need to, just get it out without it breaking. I need it for a thing, and unless you know of any other priceless objects I'll be very displeased if you do break it."

Menacingly give quest! Prepare to enact consequences if necessary.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 26, 2016, 02:52:32 am »

"Party?"

INEVITABLE party glass down. Broken glass doesn't make good dance floor.

Afterwards fall into my inner world.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 26, 2016, 06:17:44 am »

I investigate what the zombies are up to now.

[Hiding Bodies: 2]

The hand of the priestess naturally leads to the rest of her, who seems to have stopped in a position to help you up. Her other hand is pointing toward the tomb directly opposite the one to the ratshit shaft.

The armored corpse, however, is nowhere to be found at the moment.

Go off in search of a key, or maybe a less forbidding but nevertheless just as interesting door.

[Key to the Heart: 1]

You don't think a key is likely to be easy to find just like that, so you go and find a passing guard and say that you've found an interesting door. She seems a little surprised at your address, taking a moment to look you over before asking which one exactly - the reinforced one over there, you point. The one with the slot. Would she happen to have a key for it? Or know anyone who does?

Oh, she chuckles. Ohohoho. You must not be very familiar with this place, she says. And she'd understand why you would ask, really. Nevertheless, she feels you should be informed of Rule Three of living in the keep. Do not talk about the door.

You glance back a moment, at which point the guard chuckles sensibly again. Sounds like you've not been informed of Rule Four. Acknowledgement weakens the seal, don't you know.

Oh dear, you say. The guard asks what brought this fit of inquisitiveness on. You wouldn't by any chance have forgotten Rule Two as well, would you? The dreams are lying, friend. She pats you on the shoulder. Be on your way.

Must be one of those dinner-theater things, like with the pirates or knights, except bigger.  A mystery one, even!  Might as well play along.

"All right, sure.  Let me take a look..."

Read.  Study.  Interpret?

[Scholarly Analysis: 5]

There's a whole lot more sonnets here, you find. Most of them are borderline incomprehensible. Quite a lot seem to be trying to sound vaguely ominous.

Know the one they fear
Plumb the depths for its brother
Answer their power
With what we can never see
And what we must never know

From nothing they rise,
What womb is responsible?
Truth squirms in my mind.

Now shall rise new gods
Towers of inhuman flesh.
Lucky are the dead.

Of course, these are just the comprehensible ones. There's others.

There once was a man who must help me
He must help me and oh gods please save me
Bring me salvation
Sweet disintegration
The void it is eating my soul

I stand at the door
My friend still speaks so softly.
I fail to wonder.

I sit here for hours
Listening to others think.
I see through their flesh.

Assuming all these are by the same author, you think you can pretty safely separate about three different artistic periods, no doubt shaped by occurrences of the poet's life. There is the philosophical period, where the poet tries to approach the deeper mysteries of the universe in his work, which the girl says is the earliest period if the dating is correct. Then follows the noticeable revolutionary period, where the poet has chanced upon a system of beliefs that he feels will change the world. Then there's the oh god make it stop period, where the poet seems to have been going through some emotional turmoil, perhaps a breakup with a significant other or something of that nature (a remarkably good guess, the girl replies). And finally there's the acceptance period, where the poet settles down in his conflict with what they perceive to be certain unavoidable circumstances in their life. Just your average cycle of poetic development, you would suppose. Not particularly good poetry for the most part either. Doesn't even rhyme half the time, though at least the walls are blissfully free of that abominable free verse nonsense. Though a lot of it does sound like something you'd play a bongo to regardless, which the girl admits is an interesting idea.

"Right, anyway here we are. I'm told you possess a magical word thing that'd let you get this here stained glass window out of the frame without it breaking. Take as much time as you need to, just get it out without it breaking. I need it for a thing, and unless you know of any other priceless objects I'll be very displeased if you do break it."

Menacingly give quest! Prepare to enact consequences if necessary.

Righty ho. So you want a party or something. And a window. Mr. Erikson is right on that, turning toward the glass.

INEVITABLE

He stands there a moment, taking time as he stares out at it. You look on bemusedly as he remains there, mostly motionless, for the next five minutes.

"Party?"

INEVITABLE party glass down. Broken glass doesn't make good dance floor.

Afterwards fall into my inner world.

You're not sure how, but you're going to party the shit out of that window. Party it right out of the frame, and then party up and down it until the cows come home or more likely until you pass out, which you foresee is going to happen in the next couple of minutes regardless of any other circumstances. So really there is a lot of inevitability to work with here. Theoretically. You think you'll just try it.

INEVITABLE

[Word: 2]

You go up to the window and poke it with your finger. It doesn't seem terribly inclined to party, being an inanimate object and thus probably not quite as subject to your gifts as anything with, say, a mouth and a nervous system to blast with a whole lot of inhibition. You guess you could just try and party up the wall or something. Or up the window. Or, more likely, through the window. In your time you've partied straight through a lot of windows. Broken glass is kind of a bitch. Especially in windows this large. A falling shard of these could probably take your head off if you weren't careful.

You consider this a moment before you realize you had an appointment with a much nicer place to be in, and immediately fall into the lucid (insofar as lucidity can be applied to you in the present state) world of grapefruit, skerries and burning churches you've built up in your time.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 26, 2016, 06:34:49 am »

Well, it looks like I'm not finished down here. Before I do anything else, I rest on the cot for a bit.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 26, 2016, 06:41:28 am »

"The dreams are... lying? What do you mean by that? You're correct that I'm unfamiliar with this place; could you tell me more about it, and of these rules you speak of?"
Questions, Questions.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 26, 2016, 09:16:49 am »

"This party needs music!"

Try to create huge boombox, playing only the best metal such as Lordi. And don my imaginary viking armor.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 26, 2016, 12:04:26 pm »

"Oi. Don't go drifting off on me now."

If he's fallen asleep or something, slap him out of it. Try not to damage him.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 26, 2016, 10:51:58 pm »

"So... there's these two things, and one is good and one is bad, and they're fighting, and they have lots of power, but maybe the kind of power that is good but still bad?  What's the end point?  It seems like it all still ends in ghastly corpses."

Thomas looks around again.

"What are they anyway?"

Interpret?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 27, 2016, 10:25:35 am »

Well, it looks like I'm not finished down here. Before I do anything else, I rest on the cot for a bit.

The cot welcomes your tired, abused form. Your rest is short, and you take some care in avoiding the slight patch of fuzz on the surface, but definitely quite worthwhile. The tombs remain still and silent around you, the only things audible hopelessly distant and muffled by dozens of feet of stone.

"The dreams are... lying? What do you mean by that? You're correct that I'm unfamiliar with this place; could you tell me more about it, and of these rules you speak of?"
Questions, Questions.

The guard puts her hand on your shoulder, leading you into the foyer toward what sounds like an attempt to sing, and turns out to originate from a pair of extremely drunken guards. This the guard deems to be adequate cover, though she still looks back to check, as if worried that the door might sneak up on her somehow.

[The Rules of Engagement: 2]

She leans in and begins to maternally explain. She supposes she will start quite intuitively at Rule One. Good questions are forbidden. Coincidentally this is also where her explanation ends. She looks at you patiently, seeking affirmation of an understanding between you two. And, hopefully, an understanding between you and the castle at large.

"This party needs music!"

Try to create huge boombox, playing only the best metal such as Lordi. And don my imaginary viking armor.

A rhythm echoes through your head as the dulcet tones of your mental metal playlist render the seas into a mosh pit of alcoholic grapefruit, Thor's own boombox shaking your inner world with melodic celestial thunder, the air congealing into a full suit of steel and spikes around your body.

As you stand upon your burning cathedral you perform a glorious air guitar solo on a jagged axe, your luxurious mane of hair turned holy fire sweeping in circles that touch the horizon and scour the world with fire as you bang your head to songs that would carry the gods themselves as they ride into their final fate.

"Oi. Don't go drifting off on me now."

If he's fallen asleep or something, slap him out of it. Try not to damage him.

[Friendly Encouragement: 2]

You give him a few good slaps across the gob. He only smiles and begins to bang his head gently as your smacks establish a pounding rhythm in his mind. You continue trying for a while nevertheless, but the man seems wholly insensible at the moment. Or maybe you're just hitting him a little too lightly, though with how you're pretty sure you could smack the head right off his shoulders perhaps you'd best err on the side of caution regardless.

"So... there's these two things, and one is good and one is bad, and they're fighting, and they have lots of power, but maybe the kind of power that is good but still bad?  What's the end point?  It seems like it all still ends in ghastly corpses."

Thomas looks around again.

"What are they anyway?"

Interpret?

It does end in ghastly corpses, doesn't it? The point, she supposes, is to shift the representation of the parties involved among those ghastly corpses. For instance, she has a burning interest in not producing a ghastly corpse of herself anytime soon.

In any case, this appears to all relate to the well. The verses, since you seem to be curious, are all the work of one of her late teachers. Quite a recluse he was. Experienced some emotional turmoil, as one can see from his general work. Was perhaps a bit mad, but given his business with strange powers, this is hardly surprising at all. He fashioned the well. And then he and two others fashioned you in an effort, as mentioned, to shift the corpse representation in the direction of these stout folk.

It... does not appear to be working too well yet. Nevertheless, she is optimistic. The writings here should hold some hint as to how one would render you a little more applicable to this situation, hence why she has helpfully mentally collated them into a single room.

Speaking of your applicability, you seem to have an easier time reading them than she does, truthfully, if not necessarily deciphering them. Could you lend her your senses for a few minutes? She thinks it could prove enlightening. And the risks ought to prove, well, manageable under the circumstances at least.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 27, 2016, 11:16:49 am »

I continue resting.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 27, 2016, 04:35:57 pm »

"Hmm. I think you can withstand a bit more punishment, and I really fucking want that window. Sorry not sorry, bud."

Crush his genitalia to paste and see if that wakes him up.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 27, 2016, 07:28:28 pm »

"Wait, your masters are the ones who got me here?  Then they should know how to get me back!  Eh, what?  Uhh, sure, you can sense things.  Then will you let me talk to your masters?  I don't know anything about a well, though."

Accept a non-understood offer
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 28, 2016, 12:18:33 am »

"Hmm. I think you can withstand a bit more punishment, and I really fucking want that window. Sorry not sorry, bud."

Crush his genitalia to paste and see if that wakes him up.
((That might actually kill him. Wasn't 4 wounds the limit?))

Gotta bring party to stoats. Based on one encounter they really need to loosen up.

Let's wake up, perhaps just in time to avoid loss of integral bodyparts. INEVITABLE window down in one piece again and then bugger off to find stoats.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 28, 2016, 12:20:05 am »

((It was 5, wasn't it?))

((I've checked, and yeah it was 5 wounds the limit. So unless there's one wound for each testicle you should be fine.))
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:22:12 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 28, 2016, 12:24:51 am »

((It appears you're correct. Anyway, with already 3 wounds that puts me quite too close with death. But we have a long waitlist already, might as well get reckless and give them opportunity.))
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 161