Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259336 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Sun's Doom
« Reply #555 on: February 07, 2016, 05:09:35 pm »

On one hand, it doesn't sound like that would help at all. On the other hand, this guy did have something to do with the magic that caused this in the first place. And his church has some sort of strange chaos nexus on it, so... it's got to be worth a shot.

"I'll see what I can do." I run out of the church and start shouting to anyone in the courtyard. "People of Angleford! I bring news of light in this darkness! The child of the sun and moon has forsaken us, and he has taken his parents with him. But we do not need him! The sun and moon shine for us, not him. If we remind them of this then they will shine upon us once more. So call to the sky! Show your love and dedication and they will repay you!"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:19:46 pm by penguinofhonor »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 07, 2016, 06:09:44 pm »

Not my fault, you bastards! The sun is a little yandere twat!

I tried like five times to call it off!

Can the MOON create like... a dust barrier to divert the water from one half of the river? Or another floating platform. That could work too.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 07, 2016, 11:07:37 pm »

"Alien?  Hidden... ugh, no.  And I resent that; I know much of actuarial tables and insurance policy.  For example, that tower of yours, do you know why it can't be insured?  To start with..."

Explain why the minder tower is uninsurable.  Give detailed examples.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 07, 2016, 11:17:14 pm »

I'm honestly tempted to go back to the town for the sole purpose of killing Toaster.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 08, 2016, 02:57:29 am »

"Oops, sorry about that reflexive slap. But this darkness is a bit annoying. Instant return of normal night lighting conditions is INEVITABLE."

Wording, mind you.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 08, 2016, 01:18:23 pm »

"Endless questions indeed, and answers in such short supply. Anyhow, I'm off to find the blacksmith, who hopefully hasn't died in whatever happened up here. Wish me luck!"

Attempt to use my memory of how things are laid out and possibly whatever I can see to get to the blacksmith's place.

[Seeking the Path: 1]

Of course you remember the way clearly. Take a sharp left, then steady on for a bit, left until you reach the wall, just like that, then a little bit more until you find the corner. Now, what's really important now is that you don't go into the conveniently open doorway, since you don't recall there being one the last time you came this way. Instead look around for a house, walking in circles for a minute or two. You will find a window. Knock on that, maybe somebody will open. And when nobody does, wander around in search of a door. Knock on that. When there's still nobody home, remove door from frame with preternatural strength and move along inside. There you go. You think you've found the right place.

On one hand, it doesn't sound like that would help at all. On the other hand, this guy did have something to do with the magic that caused this in the first place. And his church has some sort of strange chaos nexus on it, so... it's got to be worth a shot.

"I'll see what I can do." I run out of the church and start shouting to anyone in the courtyard. "People of Angleford! I bring news of light in this darkness! The child of the sun and moon has forsaken us, and he has taken his parents with him. But we do not need him! The sun and moon shine for us, not him. If we remind them of this then they will shine upon us once more. So call to the sky! Show your love and dedication and they will repay you!"

You wander out and try an inspirational speech. Maybe whoever you can rustle up in here will be sufficient.

[Apocalyptic Appeal: 5]

You circle the courtyard once, keeping one hand on the castle wall, and repeat your appeal a full three times for all to hear on the way.

INEVITABLE

Roused by your words, the unsettling mood set by the other word grips the minds of the wandering and the confused, and they begin to fall into line behind you. You seem to know what you're doing, unlike them. And while the matter is gravely serious, you offer hope in the same breath as you do the apocalypse. You do not see your flock as you come back in front of the chapel, but the noise they make as they move is considerable.

The priest, meanwhile, seems to have crawled out of the chapel. And as he hears your speech, you imagine he is proud. You also imagine he is less than pleased when you nearly step on him while you're coming back. People of Anglefork, he calls in echo of your own speech, it is good to have all of you here. Is everyone here?

The crowd shuffles a little. You suspect they don't know who's here, really. Just a lot of people. Has the queen come as well, the priest asks more specifically. There is no response. The queen will need to be here, the priest relates to you a little more quietly. All people great and small must join together in prayer and song, and only then will the Sun hear the people in their entirety, and know the will of humanity to be in favorable accord, he says with the utmost enjoyment. The crowd, too, seems to agree, which sets the priest off even more.

Not my fault, you bastards! The sun is a little yandere twat!

I tried like five times to call it off!

Can the MOON create like... a dust barrier to divert the water from one half of the river? Or another floating platform. That could work too.

You have a friend in the moon, and by god you're going to put it to use.

MOON

[Word: 1]

The proximity of the moon invites many things. But when pointed at water, one thing seems most sensible of all. It pulls. Perhaps the water ebbs nearby. Here, though, at the center of its activity, the tide rises. It flows over your ankles. You consider your options.

[Unleash the Dolphin: 1]

You really don't like this current. It covers your hips. You guess you could swim to the other shore. The water blasts over your shoulders. You lose your footing. You tumble along the river, trying to somehow propel yourself in a direction. Your limbs, however, can't seem to agree on which specific direction it should be. So you tumble to the bottom of the rough riverbed, and then tumble further still along the depths like a startled bottom-feeder.

[The Inviting Depths: 3]

The similarity ends, however, when you are rudely reminded that you cannot, in fact, breathe water. And you do try. You weakly flop to the surface, the stream madly driving you forward as you suck air and try to cough out the copious amounts of water from your lungs. The cold gets into your bones. You don't think you can take much more of this, you think as you try your best to keep afloat. It sorta kinda barely works. You're not really drowning anymore, but you are perhaps not entirely conscious, if the sense of discontinuity between the moments you blink is any indication.

"Alien?  Hidden... ugh, no.  And I resent that; I know much of actuarial tables and insurance policy.  For example, that tower of yours, do you know why it can't be insured?  To start with..."

Explain why the minder tower is uninsurable.  Give detailed examples.

[Actuarial Concerns: 6]

That tower over there, you maintain, is quite possibly the unsafest structure you have had the nigh-uninsurable risk of stepping into. There's no way to get down, for pete's sake. The fire marshal could get her for this, you know. What if a fire breaks out? Is she going to wave her hands and special effects will take care of the flames? You suspect if the pattern holds true, what you've seen already merely scratches the surface. The rest of it's not any safer, you bet.

... now that you mention it, the girl says, that's kind of a good point. She doesn't actually know how to extinguish flames with her mind. Or make any, for that matter. Flight's about as far as she got, and even that's not enough to, say, get into the private sanctums of her superiors. Some of the deeper corners she can get into get a little puzzling too, truth be told. She can't tell you how many times she's gotten lost in the fourth floor corridors. They don't even make sense half the time.

Insufficient signage and confusing layouts, yes. It's also a very old building, you suppose? When was the last time it was restored? Has it been earthquake-proofed? Have people checked the foundations? It's looking a little crooked. The girl looks at the tower. Shit, she thinks you might be right on that. Uh. And those are good questions.

Your point, you intercede, is that insurance helps those who help themselves. Can't very well bet on the safety of someone who's hell-bent on getting themselves killed by squatting in deathtraps, can you? It's reasonable risks that you can reasonably protect people against. And that tower is distinctly unreasonable in every possible way. It'd need to be reconstructed heavily to even consider the possibility of insuring it properly in line with property regulations.

Or, she mentions, she could just get a regular house to conduct her important business in. Yes, you say. That would also be an expedient alternative. Like one of these handsome courtyard houses, you sweep your hand about at the darkness. Those you'd have no qualms about insuring. At least you can be certain that the bloody doors work and that, failing that, you can safely dive out the first floor windows in case of a fire. She looks around, and you see the silhouettes of the courtyard dwellings emerge from the dark.

Your point, she admits, is well taken. She probably ought to take these students somewhere a little less dangerous for their continued well-being. Like one of the houses. She's sure the residents won't mind. The guard chips in, mentioning that it would be pretty convenient to be able to see the minders whenever they are needed as well, something the old tower wasn't very good at providing in his experience.

Anyway, the girl says, would you care to come along? You seem to have an eye for these things. Well, you say, it is sort of your job. Though whether you're the kind to provide a pro bono consultation is another question.

"Oops, sorry about that reflexive slap. But this darkness is a bit annoying. Instant return of normal night lighting conditions is INEVITABLE."

Wording, mind you.

Perhaps a single word can fix this. There is only one way to find out.

INEVITABLE

[Word: 4]

What is truly inevitable? Not light. All things end in darkness, of this one must be well aware. The sun will eventually go out and the moon will break free of its orbit. You look at the dark of the sky, and find it much akin to the moon. While its disappearance is inevitable, true... your disappearance is much a sooner inevitability, is it not? You become keenly aware of the impermanency of all things around you. The dark can outlast you. And if you give it the opportunity, it most certainly will. You feel the night grow colder and deeper as you assert the inescapable nature of it.

But then there are also other inevitable things you can kindle here. The hope of humanity trying to deny its lack of a future right up to the bitter end. Two inevitabilities in collision. You hear a rising commotion from beyond the walls, and a lowering commotion within as Ms. Minett's rousing speech gathers more and more interested parties.

Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 08, 2016, 01:25:13 pm »

Why is this so god damn difficult? WHY?

I try to save the town, I call an apocalyptic sun meteor on my head. I try to halt it SO MANY TIMES, and it doesn't work. Then I try to escape, and I keep getting terrible outcomes!

I don't want to stop playing yet, I don't want to die! But these dice seem compelled to turn against me!

MOON, LOW TIDE, please! Let's find the nearest dry land.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:29:01 pm by Dermonster »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 08, 2016, 01:34:04 pm »

"Hmm. Seems about right. Hey blacksmith! You here at all? Or am I in the wrong place? I'm fairly sure I'm not though. Sorry about the door by the by."

yo quest-giver npc, you still alive bro?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 08, 2016, 01:41:52 pm »

Why is this so god damn difficult? WHY?

I try to save the town, I call an apocalyptic sun meteor on my head. I try to halt it SO MANY TIMES, and it doesn't work. Then I try to escape, and I keep getting terrible outcomes!

I don't want to stop playing yet, I don't want to die! But these dice seem compelled to turn against me!

You're telling me, I'm starting to run out of ideas on how to fuck you over with all these ones and sixes you keep rolling, often stacking atop the consequences of other ones and sixes.

Spoiler: GM Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 08, 2016, 02:47:57 pm »

"INEVITABLE in my ass." Leif mutters angrily. Damn it, I feel so cheated. It sold me defective product!

I want my money back! Climb back down into the darkness and demand refund.

((OOC, hot tip of the day doesn't really help me, I was never good with grammar. Even less so with foreign languages such as english.))
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:49:48 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 08, 2016, 03:01:21 pm »

((It's an adjective, but I see it defined as a noun as well.  Perhaps abuse creative use could be found there.))

While safety concerns are all well and good, this wasn't getting him home.  That said, Thomas figured he might as well play along; maybe he'd run into someone helpful.  No sense just going outside and walking off in this moonless night.

"I suppose I can help.  Normally I would be contracted for this sort of work, but I will come along this time.  I will remind you that I am still looking for directions on how to get home."

Help her find an altogether safer place to stay, with appropriate fire exits and other safety features.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:59 pm »

((It may depend on how you use it. For example, "You can't stop the INEVITABLE" might function as a noun while "Your death is INEVITABLE" could act as an adjective. If that's the case, then HUNGER probably works similarly with noun/verb status. That said, I'm not sure how I would help a non-English speaker navigate this.))

As I pass by where I think the priest is, I lean down to him. "Hey, keep the crowd busy while I'm gone." Then I shout to the people in the courtyard, "I can almost feel the warmth of the sun already! Keep this up! I will find the queen, and once she is here the sun and moon will not be able to forget us." I then try to head to the castle and find the queen.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 09, 2016, 03:37:51 pm »

MOON, LOW TIDE, please! Let's find the nearest dry land.

It's worth a shot, isn't it? The effect was right, just in the wrong place.

MOON

[Word: 2]

The moon is a harsh mistress, however. High tide you got, and high tide you shall continue to have. Probably a little difficult to relocate the effect of the moon, now that you pause to consider the potential logistics of it.

[Aquatic Adventure: 2]

You're still in the middle of dark, deep waters, barely managing to keep afloat, let alone manage any sort of course. You're not even sure where along the river you might be. Is the confluence of two rivers close? Far? Did you already pass it? Are you in Anglefork Town? You have absolutely no clue. There's just darkness and rushing water all about.

"Hmm. Seems about right. Hey blacksmith! You here at all? Or am I in the wrong place? I'm fairly sure I'm not though. Sorry about the door by the by."

yo quest-giver npc, you still alive bro?

[Polite Inquiry: 3]

Well, if he's in here, he definitely doesn't seem very keen on answering your calls. That seems quite unlike your dear friend. Then again, maybe he's just busy with something he thinks is more important. You listen carefully for any signs of fateful muttering, but find none of that in the vicinity either. Maybe he's just hiding from you, so as to not taint his creative process with your meddling until the job is well and truly done. That seems like a thing he would do.

"INEVITABLE in my ass." Leif mutters angrily. Damn it, I feel so cheated. It sold me defective product!

I want my money back! Climb back down into the darkness and demand refund.

Clambering down into the well you step through the doorway in quite a huff, demanding a refund for this clearly useless word that you ostensibly paid good connections for. Your words are swallowed by the dark hungrily, stolen from your throat before their formation is complete.

It is an uncommon request that you make. Your assessment, however, is incorrect.

With that in mind, would you like to make another exchange? More answers would help if the questions were chosen well.

While safety concerns are all well and good, this wasn't getting him home.  That said, Thomas figured he might as well play along; maybe he'd run into someone helpful.  No sense just going outside and walking off in this moonless night.

"I suppose I can help.  Normally I would be contracted for this sort of work, but I will come along this time.  I will remind you that I am still looking for directions on how to get home."

Help her find an altogether safer place to stay, with appropriate fire exits and other safety features.

[Hunt For A Humbler Home: 3]

The gates of this castle appear to be steadfastly closed for the night, leaving you with perhaps less options than one would like, but you do have to say that the houses one can find in the courtyard do seem reasonably safe for the most part. And for now most of them do seem empty. Not a fire exit to be seen, however. And one house is blatantly missing a door, which a certain Mr. Daniels seems all too keen to make use of, making a bit of a ruckus within. The rest seem roughly similar, and at last you come to the only building with a proper ladder for any second floor escapes - seems a bit like a barn, and some fellow tries to stop you from entering, but your friend the guard tells him to bugger off if he'd be so kind - the fellow does not seem to need to be told twice, nervous recognition showing in his voice.

Together you get inside the place - looks like a storehouse of some kind, or maybe a stable. It's absolutely infested with rats, you notice. And other junk is strewn about chaotically as well, becoming clearer in the dark as the girl looks around. Er, perhaps not the best place, you admit. But it does have a fire exit of sorts. And also seemingly an armed guard out front - the added bit of security does set the mind at ease, doesn't it? She admits that it sort of does, yes. Keeps the rabble out with their spidery thieving hands, at least. Doesn't seem to be really a living space though, does it? A fixer-upper, you suppose. Kind of like one of those fire station to classy loft conversions, perhaps. Really depends on what budget she's working with. There's also a bit of a rat problem, you point out, but she doesn't seem awfully bothered about that. Rats are good for minding practice, she says. They're also good for spreading pestilence, you reply, which, she once again admits, is a decent counterpoint.

As I pass by where I think the priest is, I lean down to him. "Hey, keep the crowd busy while I'm gone." Then I shout to the people in the courtyard, "I can almost feel the warmth of the sun already! Keep this up! I will find the queen, and once she is here the sun and moon will not be able to forget us." I then try to head to the castle and find the queen.

The crowd begins to start calling out to the sun in a more coordinated fashion as the priest begins to lead them in prayer, and you utilize the darkness and noise to slip away to find the queen. Shouldn't be too hard to find. You get inside the keep and head for the second floor. Fortunately, you do remember the room you put her in. Somewhat unfortunately, it does seem like the door is guarded now, and the guards even have a few candles casting minute amounts of light on the surroundings. You suppose the incident with the stoatman might have had something to do with that.

[Goodwill of the Guards: 4]

You run up to them, saying there is no time to waste. The queen's help is required, and none other will do! The sun needs to be called back to end this terrible darkness, you say. They suppose that's a worthy ambition. Do you think it will work? You shrug. Worth a shot, right? The priest seems to think so, and he made that random guy shoot sun lasers and leap over buildings in a single bound, so you think he's probably the most trustworthy source of information on stuff like this. They admit that this makes sense, and let you in without much reservation to the queen's chamber, where you proceed to trail ash on the relatively clean floor. The queen's there, illuminated by a bedside candle, looking nervous. She looks past you as you enter. Her eyes trail back to a nearby window. Oddly, she does not seem to acknowledge your presence.

Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 09, 2016, 03:58:05 pm »

Fuck it, "SUN, Where the hell am I!?" Once more, find dry land.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 09, 2016, 04:07:11 pm »

"Hmm. I'm not really sure if this is your house, blacksmith. Would help if I could see anything. Wanna tell me if you're here or not?"

Go blunder about the house for a bit looking for blacksmithy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 161