Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259847 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Mind-Killer
« Reply #210 on: December 26, 2015, 01:28:28 am »

"Oh god, you're like us. That means there are more. I've been brought here too, by the minders - five of us woke up in tubs full of rats. I don't know how, but I think... we're made of the rats, somehow. Another one of us, I forget his name, was with me in the tower. He turned into the rats, exactly like you said. But in five minutes you or I could be just like him."

I then step in between Mr. Daniels and the shirtless guy. "And there's no way this ritual will help you. There are literally tubfuls of rats here. If it was that easy to become more powerful, this guy would be saving us from the stoats instead of standing around half naked asking people to murder animals."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 26, 2015, 01:36:51 am »

"Oh dear, that's not good. Though I woke up in a backyard with not a rat in sight, so I may have been something different. Maybe. You said stoats? I've heard mention of them once before in the half hour or less I've been here, but I don't know what they are.

Also the guy didn't say to get rats specifically, just ... living things, I think? The rats were fortuitous, that's all."

Jack pauses.

"Hey, maybe the minders or whoever brought a new person into the world and that's why the other guy turned into rats?"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 26, 2015, 07:24:53 am »

"I don't know much about the stoats except that they apparently want to kill us all. It seems like an important issue. As for the minders bringing more people... they didn't survive whatever ritual brought us here. Maybe the spell they cast is still going, though."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 26, 2015, 02:29:58 pm »

"Huh. I guess we'll have to ask around and see what others came in with us, then. 'Cause I think you implied that there's more than just me, you, and the other guy.

After the ritual, though."
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 26, 2015, 02:37:20 pm »

"Pardon?  I'm not a rat?  Of course rats can't talk!"

A silly argument, really.  Can I just get myself out here?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 26, 2015, 08:18:48 pm »

"Hmm, this leaves us with few interesting options."

Leif steps out of the cell and leans against the wall right next to the door, watching what the stoatman is up for. "Oops?" He says at direction of the stoat. "Perhaps that was meaningless too?" With sarcasm bleeding from his voice. "But such is life."

Should stout decide revenge is in order, then incapacitate him. Perhaps not for life, but for sufficiently to discourage him from further activity.
Otherwise follow example of the much safer cellmate.

You manifest ultimate smugness as you accost the stoatman trying to leave, leaning against the wall with arms crossed. He gives you a frankly venomous look as he moves out, pausing mid-step to consider your words. Murder flares in his eyes, and you think he's about to come for you... but then it calms, and his eyes become merely snakelike and derisive instead as he coldly turns away and runs up the staircase. It takes him under a second the pick the lock of the dungeon door, then he's out. Well, guess that's that.

Your cellmate asks you to not stand around outside like that - the turnkey might find it untoward to take advantage of his forgetfulness like that.

"Iunno. Sure, yes. What am I doing?"

It is hard to say. Prophecies deal with prerequisites, mostly. You have appeared from the aether, you speak the tongue of the Sun and Moon, and now you will have a raiment of mirrors as well - these three should make you an adequate Child of the Sun and Moon, so to speak. So the answer to that question, or the best you're likely to get at this point, is "what comes naturally, my child, what comes naturally".

The priest is surprisingly quick in working the shards into your robe, and soon you find yourself looking quite a lot shinier than before. It's not exactly the most comfortable thing to wear, being a bit on the sharp side, but it probably looks kind of swanky. Or so you'd assume - the only mirror you could possibly check this in was the one you broke to make the robe. Sooner rather than later the finishing touches are put on, and you are now something akin to a humanoid mirror ball, resplendent in your odd tackiness. The priest certainly looks satisfied at his handiwork, stroking his messy beard appreciatively and giggling slightly.

"A beautiful thing you have become, Child of the Sun and Moon!" he congratulates you. "I think that fulfills the prophecy very nicely, don't you?" You shrug. It's his prophecy, he ought to know better. He agrees with this assessment, nodding along as he ponders what you're supposed to do next. Announce your presence? Publicly proclaim yourself the manifestation of a celestial avatar? Come up with mystical-sounding nonsense on the nature of light?

Hm. Wait. Better not jinx it with that kind of talk, the priest decides. How about you walk out looking all dignified and whatnot, and he heralds your arrival? Or, wait, he heralds your arrival, and only then do you actually arrive? Sunset's here already. It's the perfect time! Damn, if only he'd planned anything after the robe bit. He didn't think it would work out as well as it did, truth be told.

"Well, Child, it seems like we shall have to wing it," he says after a minute's indecision. "On the count of three we shall both run out of the chapel. Me first - I will herald you appropriately, have some material just for that event. You come after me, fulfilling the prophecy and so forth."

Fulfilling the prophecy, you ask?

"Well, yes. It is not difficult. You need only speak in a way they understand, and also look alien and very shiny. And reflect the sunset favorably and interestingly - that last part is critical. Now quickly, before it gets dark," the priest says excitedly, positioning himself for beginning a sprint, "one, two..."

I follow Mr. Daniels. "Please, this is barbaric. It's an innocent animal and it's very important to my friend. Why are you even doing this?"

The why is an interesting thing to contemplate, the shirtless man interjects. Largely irrelevant, particularly in this context, but interesting nevertheless. Each person who comes to the circle may keep their reasons as their own, he elaborates. It does not really change anything whether they do or not.

Jack stops to catch his breath after his sudden long-winded explanation, and then turns to shirtless guy.

"Well, I've not done any actual rituals, but the karate does have a lot of structure to it - bowing, kneeling, standing at attention, in a specific order, stuff like that, so I think I could pick it up rather quickly. And yeah I wouldn't mind all that much giving it a go - what did you say the benefits of this were again by chance? Just wanna get this down in my head what I'm doing in exchange for my former morality."

Karate? Sounds fascinating. You will have to tell the man about that later, he notes.

As for the actual benefits, the man with no shirt will not lie. Ms. Minett is, of course, correct in her assessment. He is not a man who bequeaths power, and he can guarantee nothing - that would be the purview of the chapel, the shrine and their respective, highly dubious residents. They can promise you quite a lot, he has noticed.

What is offered by him and the circle, you see, is not salvation. Perhaps it is not even truth. But it can be compelling, sometimes, if the day is good and the gifts are sufficiently novel. It is from new things - and their loss - that one can learn the most, he has discovered. It is also much more fun to observe for him and for others, as a side note - the community aspect is all-important, after all. It is the entire point, in fact.

"Pardon?  I'm not a rat?  Of course rats can't talk!"

A silly argument, really.  Can I just get myself out here?

You're not? News to this fellow, clearly. It takes a little more convincing (including permitting him to poke you with his foot a few times, and several increasingly insistent affirmations of your non-rodency) for him to open the bag you're in. You may have been able to escape on your own, perhaps, provided you were not shy about putting your teeth to good use and had a bit of time, but this is probably faster.

In any case, the top of the bag opens and you find yourself face-to-face with a dirty-looking peasant dressed in a vast array of rags and cloaks, only the vaguest traces of his flesh even visible from your vantage point. Man's wrapped up tight.

As for where you are, it looks a lot like a dark cellar and definitely not at all like a place where you'd ever be thrilled to wake up. It smells like mold, and you hear a lot of squeaking in the darkness where a number of wooden crates have been arranged against a wall. Nearby you can see a generous area of straw-based bedding, and in the best-lit corner next to a small grate you see a desk that you would guess was stolen from a much nicer room, a pile of clay cylinders as well as some odd-looking instruments strewn along its surface. Other than that, the room looks pretty bare, the only visible exit being a door on the far side from pretty much everything else. Said door appears to sport a wealth of locks and tripwires that would make the average survivalist flagrantly jealous.

"Huh," the man in rags says. "Your story checks out," he notes with surprise. "Bloody minders. You one of their people, then?" he asks with disappointment even a metric ton of cloth can't mask.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 26, 2015, 08:22:05 pm »

"Eh, seems worth it to give it a go. What d'ya want me to do? Like I said, I'm pretty sure I can cotton on to this ritual stuff fairly quickly."
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 26, 2015, 08:28:26 pm »

"Minders?  What?  My name is Thomas, and I need to get to work.  Mr. Munderly would not like it if I am late.  I haven't worked under him for fifteen years with perfect attendance to start being late now.  Where in town am I, anyway?"

Ask confused questions.  Try to get home.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 26, 2015, 08:28:58 pm »

"Wait how the hell does this help with that army ousiiiiand he's gone."

Welp. Time to put on my game face. CHAAAARGE!

Everyone: Behold robes.

I had expected magical powers to fight an army with. This is not that.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2015, 04:02:23 am »

Oh man that felt good.

"By Loki, ain't he fast with that lockpick thing." Back into the cell. "Now that he's gone I can probably return back to the first cell, it's bigger after all. But yeah, let us proceed with proper procedure."

"By the way, does numbers mean anything to you? Six four three? Or six three four? Or was it four six three? He said it was important number."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2015, 10:15:00 am »

"I can't believe you're doing this." I sigh, then stand around and wait for the ritual to start. If I can't stop it, I might as well at least see what's going on. Maybe there is something to learn here. Still, I'm getting some bad vibes, so I make sure to stay on the edge of the crowd in case I need to leave quickly.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Words Which Burn
« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2015, 01:33:48 pm »

"Eh, seems worth it to give it a go. What d'ya want me to do? Like I said, I'm pretty sure I can cotton on to this ritual stuff fairly quickly."

Mostly you would need to destroy living things upon that slab over yonder, the shirtless man indicates with his hand. Decisively, quickly, absolutely. Leave no room for doubt. Use your hands as much as possible - maybe utilize a rock for the tougher bits.

As for more specifics, well, there's more finesse involved than you would expect. Reducing a rat to a thin red paste is not an easy task at the best of times. Or your average bird, for that matter. He spends a few minutes going over the more practical ways of making things quick, yet interesting to watch. It is important to engage the public in particular - you being largely naked ought to help with that, in fact - if the public is not engaged, they may start to chat to one another, which can ruin the mood if it gets out of hand. You want to usually do things that produce a respectful, intimidated silence. You've got the build for it, so you would be well-served by practicing some grim expressions beforehand. Or perhaps not - one of the best sessions he's had was when he broke down laughing in the middle of smashing a rat to pieces. Fell off the slab accidentally when he couldn't stop it, actually. A few people had to pick him up and carry him home that evening. They looked at him oddly for a week afterward.

In any case, make sure to be as violently, yet respectably off-putting as possible. Also cultivate an air of mystery. That's about the gist of things, really... although you could try speaking as well, if you want. It will make the whole business a little more formal, having a guest speaker. Feel free to improvise - you no doubt have some life experience to draw upon here, as you appear to be familiar with the idea of a world devoid of meaning or spirit.

He is about to go into more detail, but the sound of a man hollering as he runs out of the nearby chapel cuts him off. He looks for the source, and spots a man of poor habits running around hollering something about suns and moons and children. The man with no shirt looks intrigued. The priest is not usually this agitated, he says. He is even more surprised when Mr. Codeburn follows after the priest, looking a bit doofy in a weird homemade mirror-sequined robe.

"Minders?  What?  My name is Thomas, and I need to get to work.  Mr. Munderly would not like it if I am late.  I haven't worked under him for fifteen years with perfect attendance to start being late now.  Where in town am I, anyway?"

Ask confused questions.  Try to get home.

You're in the castle, the shrouded individual says. Not in the town- wait, this sounds familiar. You're one of them demonfolk, aren't you? You show the classical signs - naked, clueless, mysteriously manifested from hellish planes beyond mortal ken. You beg his pardon on all that, but he seems convinced all the same.

Right, starting over, you are in Benzerwald. Anglefork Castle. It is not a place you are familiar with, says the man, but that's all right. Minders are, er, wizards. Or priests? Something like that. And your job is to kill all the stoats before they kill you. They've been sieging the place for a while now. There's a couple of you demonfolk around that they called to help with that, actually. Six, was it? It's getting a bit hard to count them. It's also a little frustrating, he mentions. He's been helping you bloody demons for the better part of the afternoon, and he's got nary a rat to show for it. Ten more days like this and he might get behind on his rat acquisitions. And then what will he do? It'll be an economic disaster.

While this sounds like a legitimate concern for a lunatic to have and you truly sympathize, you ask if you could be let out now, you kind of need to get home. The man politely acquiesces and momentarily untraps and unlocks his door, letting you out of his mad-cave and into a stairwell, which leads up to an empty storehouse in a seemingly advanced stage of disrepair. It is dark, old and smells mustier than even the basement you were just in, and seems to mostly have stored a bunch of firewood once upon a time, the only remnants of which are a few damp pieces of lumber that nobody has bothered to steal. Aside from that, you also pass by a single sandbag, propped up in the middle of the room with no place else to be. It looks lonely.

Since there's nothing here you care about, you take a look outside, and note that this definitely does not look like anywhere in town you've ever been to. Might be upstate, one of those places where people gather for weekends to do their lair-ping or whatever it is they're into these days. On the bright side, the castle does look very authentic. Not a bad place to stop and take some pictures on a road trip, as it were. Probably not a great place to awaken in at dusk naked and without any possessions, however. It smells like the countryside here. Air's too fresh. And there's probably no phones about. For maximum authenticity and inconvenience, you'd expect.

You notice an unkempt man in a bloodstained, torn robe running through the courtyard, hollering something incoherent. Another lunatic, probably dangerous. He is followed by a strange robed individual who reminds you of a humanoid disco ball, reflecting the sunset irritatingly in your eyes as he completes the impression by starting to spin around.

"Wait how the hell does this help with that army ousiiiiand he's gone."

Welp. Time to put on my game face. CHAAAARGE!

Everyone: Behold robes.

I had expected magical powers to fight an army with. This is not that.

As the priest executes his plan, you break into a run with arms outstretched (the holiest of arm positions, or so you have been told) after him. As he hollers holy-sounding phrases of prophecy to herald your arrival, you follow in his wake, staring at the heavens gravely and making a conscious effort to appear as auspicious as possible. It has all the charm of a prophetic high school production in its delightful spontaneity, eliciting equal parts confusion and surprise from the people who already seem to have begun gathering in the courtyard for some reason. No doubt the priest would credit the prophecy here, too.

You come to a stop in a particular spot, noticing the priest starting to run in circles around the area, trying to rouse the others, get them to look your way. You think this position is a pretty great one - there is the sun, starting to disappear over the edge of the wall, clouds flowing along it, altering its light pleasingly. And slightly behind you - there is the moon, pale in the slowly darkening sky. You stand to catch the light of both, and as the people gather, you start to turn about to take maximum advantage of your robe's properties, reflected rays moving around the entire courtyard.

As you turn, you behold the Moon. It watches, shapes of faces on its surface growing more convincing the longer you look. It is pale in the darkening sky, but very much visible. Very close to fullness, perhaps even completely full. It looms large, its albedo almost producing its own lovely reflection on you. No doubt it will grow brighter still with time. And the Sun, waning as it starts to disappear behind the parapets, but still amazingly bright. It sees, its radiance drowning out everything else in its vicinity, only scarcely held back by clouds flowing to slightly obscure, the variations in brightness creating delicate interplays.

It seems both of your would-be parents are observing your antics. As you turn, you see them both for short periods. The ancient, timeless rulers of the natural cycles, moving in the sky in ways that can be described, but perhaps impossible to truly comprehend by the folk of this world. By their motions the world was created and shaped in the past, is guided and shaped in the present, and as the Moon flies free and the Sun explodes to devour and burn the world in the distant future, so too will all things come to an eventual end.

You contemplate their power as you catch the light in your whirling. And as you cavort in the light of immense, mindless things of unimaginable power, the oldest gods that mankind has ever known, the words come to you easily. It is simple. There is the sun, and there is the moon. The sun, the moon. You behold them in succession, one and the other.

At the back of your eyes, a vision starts to burn. It crosses from one eye to the other, taking ineffable shape, traveling along your nerves, nestling in the back of your throat, yearning for release, burning like the purest essence of thirst. You involuntarily shape the word it craves, but do not give it your voice.

SUN

At the front of your mind, a silvery shadow forms. You breathe it out, then breathe it in. It is dust, metal, lightness. The unknown. It builds in your lungs, and you feel the need to consciously cough, to cleanse yourself. As you consider the itch, you mouth a second soundless word.

MOON

Oh man that felt good.

"By Loki, ain't he fast with that lockpick thing." Back into the cell. "Now that he's gone I can probably return back to the first cell, it's bigger after all. But yeah, let us proceed with proper procedure."

"By the way, does numbers mean anything to you? Six four three? Or six three four? Or was it four six three? He said it was important number."

They certainly sound like numbers, your cellmate guesses. Who really knows with stoats, anyway. Maybe they meant something to it and nobody else. An anniversary of some Great Leader or another in the stoat calendar they invented last year, or maybe the one they invented the year before that. The things are crazy, as she is sure you well know. This is partly the reason why she's rather concerned about one making its way out, actually.

Also, she does not get to complete that thought because the turnkey and the guard arrive momentarily, looking rather displeased at the sorry open state of the dungeon. They would like very much to know more about what just happened here. Your cellmate proves forthcoming as before, explaining that the filthy stoatman escaped by using that odd thingamajig you told her about, then defeated the dungeon door without so much as breaking a sweat - clearly a dangerous criminal, that one. They should really be quite careful with it.

The turnkey nods, and the elderly guard says he'll take that into account. Having no time to waste, they decide not to bother questioning you and instead bugger off immediately after making sure all doors, yours included, are shut immediately, this latest jailbreak having introduced a slight shift of priorities.

Well, says your cellmate. They know what they're doing, she vaguely suspects. No doubt they'll catch that stoat in no time at all.

"I can't believe you're doing this." I sigh, then stand around and wait for the ritual to start. If I can't stop it, I might as well at least see what's going on. Maybe there is something to learn here. Still, I'm getting some bad vibes, so I make sure to stay on the edge of the crowd in case I need to leave quickly.

You can't say it's much of a crowd yet, but it is starting to grow. A few rather nasty-looking residents of varying ages and genders emerge from the keep, coming together near you while they keep a respectable distance from the others. The less photogenic of the castle's serving staff. Probably kept in a basement someplace normally. A large, dull-faced man slinks out from the shadows, looking a little unsteady in his gait. He smiles the same way as the shirtless man - vaguely unnervingly - and he gives you an off-puttingly affable look as he stands next to you, occasionally shooting you a glance. He asks if you've got anything on you for tonight, patting a small satchel on his belt as he smirks. The satchel twitches ever-so-slightly.

Mr. Daniels and the man with no shirt continue to converse about the finer points of ritual sacrifice, working out which sort of barbarism would suit either of them best. The shirtless man occasionally glances about, doing a headcount. Seems like not everyone's here yet. He looks momentarily hopeful as you see him look at an elderly guard and a man with an eye carved into his forehead run along the side of the courtyard, but as they run along on what looks like important business he seems disappointed again.

That is, until Mr. Codeburn, seemingly quite all right after you so generously told on him to the angry woman, trails a bloody, unkempt individual out of the nearby chapel. The bloody fellow shouts and hollers like a madman, trying to grab as much attention as you are willing to give, and beseeches you to devote it all to the approaching Mr. Codeburn, who seems to have obtained a robe covered in shards of mirror, looking very luminous and perhaps impressive to less worldly eyes as he twirls around the courtyard looking like a bit of a twit.

Needless to say, most of the people in the shirtless man's gathering crowd seem suitably impressed by the hollering and the shiny objects. A few shier residents lean out of doorframes to take a look. Probably the shiniest thing they've seen in weeks. Perhaps months.

Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 27, 2015, 01:56:11 pm »

Assume The position.

"Praise the SUN."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 27, 2015, 02:14:57 pm »

"They probably kill him when they catch him, but that's just the risk one have to take if one wishes to escape the prison, which is also why I have learned to serve my punishment. Notably less common practice in western countries, thankfully.
So, gotta pass some time before evening comes, right? Tell me more about yourself. You said you had a reputation as a small talker before? And is there something wrong with your face?"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 27, 2015, 02:25:43 pm »

Thomas looked at the shiny fellow.  Well, that's a thing, and probably the main focus of whatever this event was, and- oh no, is it SUNSET?  Did he already miss the meeting?  Well, there's one problem that can be fixed.

Go grab that sandbag and see if it can be made into a pants-like apparatus.  Dump it out if need be.  Then watch the performance, maybe see if they drop a time or date.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 161