Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259911 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Recycled, But Formidable
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2015, 01:48:49 am »

"That was all, thank you."

Use water to carefully clean myself and the skirt in some corner of the cell. Keep warm and wait for nightfall and anything interesting.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2015, 07:02:35 pm »

Quickly, put the sack on her upside down and then... Iunno. Sit on her. Add spike to inventory.

The sharpened spike constitutes your spoils after you've covered the priestess with a sack and sat down on her. She resists weakly, and you get the feeling that she's rather concussed, given her lack of coordination and general inability to do much of anything to you anymore. Guess a headbutt shortly followed by a brick to the head will do that to you.

You contemplate the nature of head injury as you wait here, wondering when the priest will be arriving with the mirror. At some point you become keenly aware that he's probably quite late at this point. Maybe stealing a mirror from the queen is not quite as straightforward as he thought it was.

Jack shrugs.

"Okay, so long as I get to wield it in the end. Priceless in the good or bad sense?"

Take a look around the house shack thing. Is there another exit? Take a look outside if there is and see what's there.

Either will do, now that you mention it. Though it is unfortunate that you brought up the bad sense ahead of time - now it won't be nearly as witty if you actually try it. And wit can be a powerful wellspring of good inspiration.

The house is, once again, a single room, most of it repurposed as a forge, or perhaps it was built in a slovenly fashion to begin with. The corners are put to very good use, you see - one has a patch of floor removed and a hole added (you need hardly approach to make a very accurate guess about its use), one has a mess of rags and straw, another has the forge and the last is the fuel corner, where all the furniture and unnecessary odds and ends appear to have been chopped up and piled up. It looks like the pile was probably much larger a month ago or so.

As for exits, there is the front door, which is solidly bolted but well within your ability to open, and the back door that you came in through. The windows, such as they are, are fully boarded up from the inside. With actual boards, in fact, which would mean this part of the renovations occurred a little earlier than the fuel shortage.

"That was all, thank you."

Use water to carefully clean myself and the skirt in some corner of the cell. Keep warm and wait for nightfall and anything interesting.

The elderly guard nods and walks off, and the turnkey does the same. Guess that's all for now, so you make optimal use of your bucket of water. In no time at all your bits and your skirt are free of gore, and the rest of you becomes similarly clean. Granted, you are still relegated to wearing a skirt made out of a torn robe as your only article of clothing, but that's hardly something you can help in the present situation.

Your fellow prisoner, you notice, is eyeing you with increasing wariness. You look back questioningly.

"Was what you told the guards true?" he asks after you stare each other down.

Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2015, 07:53:08 pm »

Go find that priest!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2015, 11:22:16 pm »

"Well Eileen, What do you reckon we should do? Could go fish some gold out of that pit, or just wait here for that priestess to get back."
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2015, 11:34:49 pm »

"It doesn't look like there's much here that would be helpful. Maybe we should check somewhere else, like that tower. Important things are always in towers."

I leave the dome thing and walk to the tower.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2015, 11:45:28 pm »

"Alright. Can I have a poker or something to whack people with if they try to kill me for some reason?"

Hopefully obtain whacking stick of metal or something like that - maybe a crowbar if he has one - then open front door and observe the outside.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2015, 12:29:54 am »

"Alright sure tower it is."
Accompany Ms. Minett to the tower.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2015, 02:01:03 am »

"More or less. I did cut some corners straight and left some things unmentioned. 80% of truth didn't get me what I wanted, however. I probably should have lied more, but what is done is done and I'm still stuck here. Why?"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2015, 10:38:52 am »

Go find that priest!

You rise from your comfy priestess-cushion and go see what the priest has done with his time. Strolling through the courtyard, you catch a few curious looks. Must be the robe. In any case, you go into the keep and do not even need to go very far, as it is in the foyer that you see the priest standing with a very apologetic look on his face as a scarred female guard stands behind him, a dagger poking into his back. Face to face with him stands a teenage girl in a nightdress, looking like she's been woken up a short while ago and none too pleased about it. They are flanked by four other guards of progressive burliness, a few of which make careful note of your arrival. Their glares imply that you had best not give them any trouble.

"There he is, Your Majesty," says the priest, and as he points your way you instinctively frown. "The Child of the Sun and Moon, brought into being by our minders to save us in the darkest of times. It is for his ascendance that I seek the mirror, so that he may better catch the light of our salvation!" he continues. The girl furrows her brow and looks you over.

"Who is that?" she asks after staring at you for a good while. The priest begins to repeat his spiel, but she motions for him to stop. "Wait, brought into being... by the minders. To save us, you say." She rubs her temples drowsily. "I... bloody hell, you expect me to deal with this right now? Eugh."

She looks a bit under the weather. And also quite drunk. Making eye contact with you, she raises an eyebrow.

"How's this: you tell me what the hell's going on," she says at last. "And without the bloody nonsense this time," she then adds. A guard pokes the priest sharply in the back as he musters to make an indignant remark.

"It doesn't look like there's much here that would be helpful. Maybe we should check somewhere else, like that tower. Important things are always in towers."

I leave the dome thing and walk to the tower.
"Alright sure tower it is."
Accompany Ms. Minett to the tower.

After spending far too much time admiring this wasteland of a temple, you turn around and head out, walking along the side of the courtyard to the largest tower available. It's an ancient-looking thing, the bricks weathered by many more centuries of existence than the stonework of the rest of the castle, and the windows look to be of a different style than the arrow slits and tiny view-holes of the rest of the place. Looking closer, you notice that it seems to not be so much a part of the castle walls as it is that the walls go around it, including the battlements.

The door is elevated, and you need to ascend a small flight of steps to get to it - it is a massive set of double doors, fortified and braced with steel, with reliefs of conjoined, oddly formed skulls cut into a large proportion of its surface. You are almost disappointed when it proves to be completely unlocked, allowing you access into the tower's first floor.

It's a dark place much like the keep - perhaps even darker. But this one at least does not appear to have had its sconces stolen. The room you are currently in seems to be dominated by a large hearth with several circles of seating around it. All of it looks immaculately clean, and there is not a speck of dust in sight. The inner walls are painted completely black, creating the illusion of a vast, dark expanse all around you, broken up by tiny pinpricks of light coming from strategically placed holes in the walls. The floor, by contrast, is almost pure white, to the point where you can very clearly make it out in the near-dark of the room. The ceiling is high and vaulted, and would look quite impressive if it did not have seven irregular holes in it.

The largest and brightest of the holes, you notice, seems to have someone standing in it. A small shadow, looking distant in its ceiling alcove, its eyes powerfully reflective, reminiscent of a cat in the dark.

Why have you come here?

"Alright. Can I have a poker or something to whack people with if they try to kill me for some reason?"

Hopefully obtain whacking stick of metal or something like that - maybe a crowbar if he has one - then open front door and observe the outside.

You may not, the boy says. His tools are precious and not to be handed out for such frivolous purposes as counter-murder. They still have a weapon of supreme might to forge, and wearing them out is something that just won't do. You suppose that's fair enough, so you go to open the front door, only to be rebuked by the boy again. There is a REASON he bolted that door! You ask what that would be, and he replies that he really doesn't want anybody to bother him. So he ushers you out the back door, telling you to only return once the stars have aligned and you have the components required. The door slams behind you, and you hear that one being bolted as well.

You take the long way around, then, coming out in what looks like a fairly empty castle courtyard. Only a few people are visible at the moment, and all of them seem to be in something of a hurry. Nobody appears to be terribly eager to try and stick around here. Maybe you shouldn't be, either.

"More or less. I did cut some corners straight and left some things unmentioned. 80% of truth didn't get me what I wanted, however. I probably should have lied more, but what is done is done and I'm still stuck here. Why?"

"You speak the Mother Tongue well," the crazy guy says. "Fluently. And when you speak it to the men of the guard, they understand even better." He rises from his seat. "But do you speak it truly? Or is this another layer of sorcery?"

He steps to the left, then to the right.

"I have said too much already," he adds as he draws closer. "Far too much far too easily. What trickery is it that you are performing here? Who do you work for?"

He's a bit hard to read, but you get a sense of overwhelming readiness from the way he seems to be coiling up internally.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2015, 11:35:30 am »

"You are an englishman? Or american? Sorry, couldn't tell from all those bodymodifications. English is quite commonly spoken language, isn't it? After chinese, of course, so I'm not suprised people can undestand it. And yes, I do speak english truly. Spent good ten years in school learning it and another ten speaking it in multicultural enviroment, so it would be fair to assume one becomes fluent with it after all that time."

"Accusing me of trickery wounds me. I trick no one, not consciously anyway, unless it helps me to get back home. I work for Kinross Gold, seventh largest gold mining company in the world! Specifically I work in Kupol Gold Mine in Russia, one of the most advanced mines, most coldest, most isolated and furthest away from any civilization. And hopefully I still work there after this kidnapping bullshit is done with."

"What's up with you, really? And those other guys? Even in Russia holding cells are far more pleasant, and Russia isn't famous for having nice prisons. Why would you guys even live in this poor pile of rocks?"
Old sigs.
Games.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2015, 12:04:30 pm »

"Some bastards summoned me and some other schmucks in the sewer about an hour ago and I've since been tasked with the elimination of that army outside and also been chased by a very angry priestess with a metal spike. That's... really about it."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2015, 02:55:02 pm »

"Yeah, he don't want nobody to bother him, which is why he jumped out at me with a metal stick instead of politely asking me to go away.
Worked out for him, I guess, he's got me doing this now. Eh, it'll be useful. Not sure why I want a sword, but it seems a thing worth going through some shit for.

So! Priceless, purple, profane. Best find out if there's any purple paint here, that way I'll be able to do it in all three at once."

He begins jogging after the nearest person he can see.

"'Scuse me! Care to help a feller out?"

Attempt communication with nearest person.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2015, 04:03:26 pm »

"Hello!" I shout to the shape. "I believe we were brought here by minders to help! Are you a minder?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2015, 01:35:44 am »

"You are an englishman? Or american? Sorry, couldn't tell from all those bodymodifications. English is quite commonly spoken language, isn't it? After chinese, of course, so I'm not suprised people can undestand it. And yes, I do speak english truly. Spent good ten years in school learning it and another ten speaking it in multicultural enviroment, so it would be fair to assume one becomes fluent with it after all that time."

"Accusing me of trickery wounds me. I trick no one, not consciously anyway, unless it helps me to get back home. I work for Kinross Gold, seventh largest gold mining company in the world! Specifically I work in Kupol Gold Mine in Russia, one of the most advanced mines, most coldest, most isolated and furthest away from any civilization. And hopefully I still work there after this kidnapping bullshit is done with."

"What's up with you, really? And those other guys? Even in Russia holding cells are far more pleasant, and Russia isn't famous for having nice prisons. Why would you guys even live in this poor pile of rocks?"

"I can understand you perfectly," the crazy guy concludes after listening to you, "but most of what you say is meaningless. Peculiar."

He steps to examine you from another angle.

"You are likely a magical idiot," the fellow concludes. His hands begin to grow restless as he produces a grin full of sharp teeth. "All that matters now is your motive."

"Some bastards summoned me and some other schmucks in the sewer about an hour ago and I've since been tasked with the elimination of that army outside and also been chased by a very angry priestess with a metal spike. That's... really about it."

The girl nods slowly, and her cadre of guards feign similar understanding. "You," she says, pointing at you a little shakily. "I like you," she declares. The guards carefully memorize your face as they add you to important mental lists. "Mind taking over for me for a bit? I'd really like to get some sleep rather than listen to the Royal Primate or whatever his title is supposed to be."

The priest attempts to chime in with his actual title, only to be dissuaded once again by sharp poking. A guard asks if Her Majesty is deputizing you or something.

"Yes, certainly, why not," Her Majesty agrees with a wave of her hand, "he can be Minister of Moronic Affairs until I wake up." She gestures at you again. "Right, Minister, go ahead and interview the pontiff. Let my guards know about what you discover. I'll be bloody well getting some sleep in the meantime."

She starts to walk away. A scarred female guard politely corrects her path and helps her get up the stairs in one piece. The priest huffs as he looks at you.

"Yeah, he don't want nobody to bother him, which is why he jumped out at me with a metal stick instead of politely asking me to go away.
Worked out for him, I guess, he's got me doing this now. Eh, it'll be useful. Not sure why I want a sword, but it seems a thing worth going through some shit for.

So! Priceless, purple, profane. Best find out if there's any purple paint here, that way I'll be able to do it in all three at once."

He begins jogging after the nearest person he can see.

"'Scuse me! Care to help a feller out?"

Attempt communication with nearest person.

You look around for any people who might be possible to communicate with. One skedaddles upon sighting, another notices you coming and recalls that they have urgent business to attend to. A woman carrying water gives you a dangerous glare. Your eyes finally come upon a muscular shirtless man wearing leather pants. He appears to be looking at one of the castle towers before his eyes meet yours. He smiles pleasantly as you approach, and looks intrigued as you ask for help.

What kind of help do you require, asks he. He is qualified to help in many respects. Very many respects indeed.

"Hello!" I shout to the shape. "I believe we were brought here by minders to help! Are you a minder?"

It is difficult to say whether the shadow is a minder or not. It shares many qualities with a minder. Not necessarily many qualifications. It blinks at your question. It smiles as it steps out into thin air and fails to fall, its white teeth illuminated just like its eyes. It descends the air like a staircase, stopping a little away from you, its feet still not touching the ground. This appears to be necessary for it to maintain level eye contact on account of its rather small stature.

Furthermore, it doesn't really look so shadowy when viewed from a shorter distance. In fact, if you didn't know any better you'd say you were looking at a curly-haired, barefooted child of no more than 10 years, her cherubic look contrasting wildly with the precociously serious look of her robe.

So you are the fruits of the ritual! It is very good that it seems to have at least done something, she guesses, if only for her teachers' peace of mind. Speaking of, would you happen to have seen them? There are certain upstairs matters that may require their attention in the near future.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2015, 01:57:33 am »

"Do you know what paint is? Is paint a thing in this place? If so, I'll need directions to the nearest place I can get some purple paint or dye, please."

Jack deftly ignores the possible gay sex proposition. He was straight after all, and getting plenty of it with -
Oh fuck my girlfriend's been left behind hasn't she. Shit.
She's gonna murder me when/if I get back.

Well, this place ain't too bad to live in at least; hopefully the time passage here compared to back home is dialated or something so she'll be too old to throttle me when I get back.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:42:44 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 161