Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play Fire Emblem: Chapter 1: Dialogue and Parrot Exposition  (Read 1679 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Once, dragons and men coexisted.
They shared a peace forged in wisdom,
a peace that lasted many generations.
All that was lost when mankind disrupted
this balance in a sudden onslaught.
Man fought dragon in a savage war
that shook the foundations of their world.
This war was called The Scouring.
Defeated and humbled,
dragons vanished from the realm.
In time, man rebuilt and spread his
dominion across the land and
on to the islands beyond.

A millenium has passed
since those dark days ended.

In 2003, Fire Emblem, the seventh game in the Fire Emblem series made by Intelligent Systems and Nintendo, was released in the West for the Game Boy Advance due to the popularity of Marth and Roy (neither of whom appear in this game) in Super Smash Brothers Melee. In Japan, it had the subtitle "Rekka no Ken" (depending on who you ask, that means "Blazing Sword" or "Sword of Flame"; I prefer the former), but being the first Western release, it had no localized subtitle.

Fire Emblem is a series of turn-based strategy games, the video game equivalent of tabletop wargames; you move your units, have them attack the enemy, brace yourself for their counterattack, rinse and repeat. It's also half RPG; units have hitpoints, classes, and levels, and experience points are a core mechanic (to the point that the classic way the games trip up newbies is to have a temporarily overpowered character who will steal experience points from everybody else if you use them too much.) One thing distinguishing the series is the permanent death of fallen characters; units who die in battle never, ever get back up, with a few rare exceptions--the most recent games allow units to return after falling in battle, and a couple of the older games have a special staff that can be used to bring characters back from the dead.

Fire Emblem 7 (referred to as "Blazing Sword" from here on out) is set in the world of Elibe. It's a prequel to the game before it, Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals (or possibly The Binding Blade), and is about Eliwood, the father of the protagonist of Binding Blade, searching for his own missing father and fighting a band of assassins called the Black Fang; this is basically everything I know about this game, because I'm going into it blind.

Also, I'm going to be using the in-game mugshots and pasting in dialogue from a text dump instead of posting screenshots of all the cutscenes, because most of the text in the (emulated) game is screwed up for some reason that likely involves the multiple layers of transparency and my computer's 2006ness.

The game begins with telling me that I'm a tactician travelling the world of Elibe and asking me to input personal information.

"Are you awake?"

"I found you unconscious on the plains. I am Lyn, of the Lorca tribe. You're safe now."

These games get straight to the animé hair, with the very first character Westerners were introduced to having a lengthy green/teal ponytail. Thankfully, it's not compounded with the mullets and 80s' metal hair everybody had back in Genealogy of the Holy War.

"You're safe now. Who are you? Can you remember your name? Your name is Tawa? What an odd-sounding name... But pay me no mind. It is a good name. I see by your attire that you are a traveler."

As an aside, I always thought these translations were nice. They're not full of Ye Olde Butcherede English, but they're usually also not too modern-sounding, either, making sure to use vaguely archaic synonyms when applicable.

"What brings you to the Sacae Plains? Would you share your story with me? Hm? What was that noise? I'll go see what's happening. Tawa, wait here for me."

As you can see, I'm dead silent, much in the same way as Link.

Lyn heads outside for a second.

"Oh, no! Bandits! They must have come down from the Bern Mountains! They must be planning on raiding the local villages. I... I have to stop them! If that's all of them, I think I can handle them on my own. You'll be safe in here, Tawa! What? You want to help? Well, can you use a weapon? Ah, I see... So you're a strategist by trade? An odd profession, but... Very well. We'll go together!"

And the game starts in earnest. This is the tutorial level, so don't expect very much actual playing yet. Don't worry, we'll get to the real fighting in due time.

Lyn starts in the bottom-right corner of the map. Her job is to get to the northwestern corner of the map, kill the bandit standing there, and get to the village.

We begin by moving Lyn closer to this bandit here.

The bandit comes to her and we prepare to attack.

We move into the fight scene. Being under the command of the player character gives Fire Emblem units the magical ability to duel their enemies in a magical pocket dimension with floating numbers everywhere.

Lyn and the bandit take turns poking each other with pieces of metal on sticks until the bandit dies. The bandit's friend never comes over to help. This is because he's a boss, and the bosses almost never move.

Lyn stops for a moment to tell me what our next move is:
"There's another bandit over by the ger to the west. You don't know what a ger is? It's a type of round hut. Many nomads live in huts like these."

Well, that was totally relevant. :P

We quickly advance to the northwestern corner.

Since there's no way you can read that:
"Who do you think you are? You think you can stand up to Batta the Beast?"

Lyn and Batta exchange blows on her turn. Lyn is knocked down to six hit points, and Batta to thirteen.

On the enemy's turn, Batta thankfully misses...

...and Lyn, after hitting back once, performs the following spectacular critical hit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
thereby killing the bandit. Critical hits in Fire Emblem triple your damage and generally involve violations of the laws of physics and lots of spinning.

Then Lyn levels up!

This is a beautiful first level. You can't read that at all, but Lyn (who is of the Lord class) got +1 to HP, Strength, Skill, Luck, and Resistance. Aside from not getting any Speed, that's still a very good level!

I should probably give a quick summary of stats:
HP is, well, hit points. It determines how much damage a unit can take before dying.
Strength determines how much damage a unit's attacks will deal; magic-using units get Magic points instead of Strength points.
Skill determines how often attacks will hit.
Speed determines how good a unit is at dodging; additionally, if the unit's speed is high enough compared to their opponent's, the unit can "double" their opponent and strike twice.
Luck does a lot of stuff and isn't as important as most of the other stats, but is handy to have a good amount of anyway.
Defense and Resistance determine how much damage the unit receives from physical and magical attacks, respectively; enough of one stat will nullify weak attacks of that type entirely.
Constitution, the last stat on the screen, doesn't go up by level and determines the unit's ability to wield heavy weapons and is related to "rescuing"; more on that later.

The reason I was concerned about her level being "good" is that units in most Fire Emblem games (with a few exceptions) only ever gain 39 levels, tops, and the stats you get at each level are randomly determined from percentages. One infamous Let's Play of the 9th game ended with a traditionally high-quality starting unit, a Fighter named Boyd, getting no speed whatsoever and getting benched pretty early on, while a character often considered mediocre at best, a healer named Mist, getting higher stats than the infamously overpowered main character, Ike.

Anyway, back to the Let's Play.

"Whew... That was close. I sorely underestimated him. Sorry if I worried you. I'll need to be stronger if I'm going to survive... Strong enough that no one can defeat me."

Lyn gets to the 'ger' the bandit was in front of and completes the level.

The Next Day...

"Good morning, Tawa! Are you awake yet? That fight yesterday must have taken a lot out of you. Say, Tawa... I want to talk to you about something. You have some experience in the ways of war, I can see. Would you allow me to travel with you?"

"What? You want me to get permission from my parents? My mother and my father... died six months ago. My people --- the Lorca--- they don't... I'm the last of my tribe. Bandits attacked, and... they killed so many people. The tribe was scattered. My father was our chieftain, and I wanted to protect our people. I am so young, and my parents are old- fashioned. They wouldn't follow a woman. No one would follow me.

I had to reread this twice to realize what she was saying; Fire Emblem is very equal-opportunity as far as video games about war go, with entire classes being completely exclusive to female characters and several main characters being women.

"Sniff... I'm sorry. I've been alone for so long... No. No more. I will shed no more tears. Thank you. I'm better now."

"Tawa, I want-- I must become stronger, so that I may avenge my father's death! Yesterday's battle taught me something. I won't become stronger by sitting here alone. Agung, tell me you'll train me, that you'll let me travel with you! You will? That's wonderful! Thank you! Oh, thank you! We'll be better off working together, I know it. You'll be my master strategist, and I'll be your peerless warrior! We can do it! Right?"

Travel with Lyn, Tawa. Give her your aid, and master the art of combat.
Complete the tasks set out in each chapter, and help Lyn in her quest.
Turn the instruction windows on or off by pressing SELECT.

And so ends the first update. Stay tuned for (hopefully more exciting) tactical wargaming action!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:32:14 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fire Emblem: Prologue
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 07:33:21 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 08:22:43 pm »

You should probably double (or maybe even triple!) the screenshot size. As it is, it's kind of annoying to make out.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 01:31:38 pm »

Chapter 1: There's Dialogue This Time

A strange pair on an even stranger journey. To prepare for the long road ahead, they go to Bulgar, the commercial center of Sacae. Unbeknownst to Lyn, she will discover something that will alter her life forever.

"Tawa! Over here! This is Bulgar, the biggest city in all of Sacae. We should purchase supplies for our journey."
"Oh, my heart! What a dazzling vision of loveliness!"
"Hm?"

Oh boy. Resident Fire Emblem womanizer incoming.

"Wait, O beauteous one! Would you not favor me with your name? Or better yet, your company?
"Where are you from, sir knight, that you speak so freely to a stranger?"
"Ha! I thought you'd never ask! I am from Lycia. I hail from the Caelin canton, home to men of passion of fire!"
"Shouldn't that be 'home to callow oafs with loose tongues'?"
"Ooooh... You're even lovely when you're cruel.
"Let's go, Tawa. I've nothing more to say."
"Wait! Please..."
"Sain! Hold your tongue!

And here we have the resident Red and Green Cavaliers. A hallmark of Fire Emblem games, present ever since the first game with Cain and Abel. The Red Cavalier traditionally has high growths in strength and defense, making them a sort of tank, if you will, while the Green Cavalier traditionally has high growths in speed and skill, making them good at hit-and-run-style tactics. At least one of them is usually a good endgame character.

"Ah, Kent! My boon companion! Why so severe an expression?"
"If your manner were more serious, I wouldn't have to be so severe! We still have a mission to complete, Sain!"
"I know that. But how could I remain silent in the presence of such beauty? It would have been discourteous!"
"What do you know of courtesy!?"
"Excuse me! You're blocking the road. If you would be so kind as to move your horses..."
Of course. My apologies..."
"Thank you. You, at least, seem honorable enough."
"Hm? Pardon me, but... I feel we've met before."
"I beg your pardon?"
"Hey! No fair, Kent! I saw her first!"
"Tsk! It seems there are no decent men among Lycia's knights! Let's go, Tawa! I've run out of patience!"
"Wait, please! It's not like that. Sain, you lout!"
"Huh? Not like that? I thought you were..."
"I am NOT you!!! Come, we must follow her. I suspect she might be--"
"Be what? She's our mission? You're joking! Wait!"

"Run!!! We're being pursued! Could it be those knights from town? No... It's not them. These men are out for blood!"

"Heh heh hehhh... Aren't you the pretty one! Your name is Lyndis, is it not?"

Today's villain, ladies and gentlemen.

"What did you call me?... Who are you?"
"Such a waste. An absolute waste. The things I'll do for gold. Ah, well. Time to die, darlin'! C'mon out, boys!"
"Oh, no! There are more than I can handle... But I'll not give up!"
"Hey! There she is!"
"Huh?"
"Whew... Finally caught up... Hold! You there! what is your business? Such numbers against a girl? Cowards, every one of you!"
"You! You're from--"
"We can discusss that later. It appears these ruffians mean to do you harm. If it's a fight they want, let them look to me! Stand back! I'll take care of this!"
"No! This is my fight! Stay out of my way!"
"Well, I can't just stand here and do nothing..."
"I have a solution. You there, command us. I am Kent, a knight of Lycia. My companion is Sain. We will follow your orders in this battle. Is this acceptable, milady?"

I don't see at all how this helps it being "Lyn's fight", but whatever floats your boat.

"Yes, it is. Tawa and I will lead! Let's go!"[/img]

Here's the field we'll be fighting on. I took this shot a little early, but Sain and Kent showed up in the bottom-left corner at the start. Another bandit came in from the northern part of the field, as well. I'm bad at timing screenshots. :v

The game takes this opportunity to explain the Weapon Triangle to us. The general idea is that, in combat, swords are effective against axes, axes are effective against lances, and lances are effective against swords. (No, I have no idea why spears were called "lances". The name "spear" is instead given specifically to thrown lances.) This adds another layer of strategy to the game, as well as simulating real-life warfare and the pros and cons of infantry, cavalry, and the like.

There's another triangle about magic, which I'll cover when it becomes relevant, and bows are outside all of the triangles entirely.

Sain and Kent make it their first priority to take out the bandit in the southern part of the area. (Sain isn't dead in the first screenshot, I accidentally took it when the HP bar showed up.)

Lyn singlehandedly decimates a bandit placed a bit further north.

Lyn then trades Sain this vulnerary, a healing item. I didn't actually want to do that, but the game forced me to. I figured out how to turn the tutorial off after this.

This bandit, who was situated yet further north, takes a shot at Lyn...

...and discovers what happens when you ignore the weapon triangle.

Two bandits left, one of whom is the boss.

This bandit went for Kent and missed entirely.

Then, we have Kent fight him. You can see here that it won't kill him. Why, might you ask?

So that Sain can finish him off and milk more EXP out of the encounter. EXP is a limited resource here and we want as much as we can get. Since Kent already killed one bandit and got plenty of EXP out of it, I "fed" Sain this kill, so to speak, to get them a bit more even.

Let's not do that.

Let's do this instead.

Zugu the bandit boss misses Sain entirely. Not that it matters much, because...

Lyn finishes him.

She levels up again. +1 Luck and +1 Speed. Not quite what I had in mind, but more Speed is always nice.

"That's the last of them! Fantastic work, Tawa! And now for these knights of Lycia. You were going to share your story with me?"
"Yes. We have ventured from Caelin, in Lycia, in search of someone."
"Lycia... That is the country beyond the mountains in the southwest, isn't it?"
"Correct. We've come as messengers to the lady Madelyn, who eloped with a nomad some 19 years ago."

I think we can all see where this is going.

"Madelyn?"
"Our lord the marquess of Caelin's only daughter. He was heartbroken his own daughter would abandon him so. Eventually, the marquess simply declared that he had no daughter."
"And then this year, we received a letter from Lady Madelyn. It said that she, her husband, and their daughter were living happily on the Sacae plains. The marquess was ecstatic to learn he had a granddaughter of 18 years. I remember the smile on his face when he announced that he'd suddenly become a grandfather. The granddaughter's name is Lyndis. This was also the name of the marquess's wife, who passed away at an early age.
"Lyndis?"

Madelyn was part parrot, it would seem.

"That she should bear this name thawed the marquess's heart. Now, his only wish is to meet his daughter's family at least once. This is why we're here. We didn't know that Lady Madelyn died a few days after sending her letter... We only learned this shortly after we arrived here in Bulgar. But we also learned all was not lost. Her daughter yet lives. We heard that she was living alone on the plains."
"I... I knew it immediately. You are the lady Lyndis."
"Why would you think that...?"
"Your resemblance to your departed mother is remarkable."
"What? Did you know my mother?"
"I'm sorry to say I never met her directly, but I saw her portraits in Castle Caelin."
"To the rest of my tribe, I was always Lyn. But when I was with my parents... When it was just the three of us, I was Lyndis. It's all so strange. I was all alone in the world, and now I have a grandfather. Lyndis... I never thought I would hear that name again."
"..."
"Wait. That bandit! He called me Lyndis, too!"
"What? How could he have--"
"He was a henchman of Lord Lundgren, wasn't he?"
"Lundgren? Who's that?"
"He's the marquess's younger brother. Everyone assumed the lady Madelyn was gone forever. This made Lord Lundgren heir to the marquess's title."
"To be blunt, milady. Your existence is an obstacle to your granduncle's ambitions."
"That's-- But I have no interest in inheriting any title!"
"Unfortunately, your granduncle is not the sort of man to believe that. I believe the attempts on your life will persist."
"What should I do?"
"Accompany us to Caelin. Continuing on this way is dangerous."
"I feel I have little choice. I will go with you."

"Tawa... I'm sorry. This changes everything. What will you do, Tawa? You... want me to decide? Of course, your companionship would do much to ease my journey, but... It's going to be so dangerous. You'll come? Are you sure? Thank you! Let me ask once again for your friendship and your aid."

You should probably double (or maybe even triple!) the screenshot size. As it is, it's kind of annoying to make out.
Manually scaling them all up takes a little while, so I'll have to see if there's an in-emulator option to scale up screenshots. Thanks for the advice!

...That said, how far out is your browser zoomed? They look fine to me.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fire Emblem: Chapter 1: Dialogue and Parrot Exposition
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 11:49:05 pm »

It's at 100%. They're not illegible, exactly, but you can't make out details at a glance like you can with a higher size.

Also, at 1X they're really far to the side, which looks awkward.