Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36820 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Design Phase
« Reply #300 on: November 30, 2015, 05:02:43 am »

Yah, it's probably better to have something with a better chance of working then something that'll give us shiny tech right now, if we're going to make a landing this turn.

I'll switch my vote to the Long-Range Rifle Mk. 1 unless someone has a good reason not to.

It'd still probably be good to get the fast action rifle later on, as it looks better as a main line of battle rifle, but for now the range advantage verses the enemy's air rifles should be key.

Now that I think on it, one advantage would be we can make it much easier to revise breechloading on the thing later using something like the lindner system.

Edit:Or we can do this for our revision:

Spoiler: Kent Class Bomb Vessel (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:27:12 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 30, 2015, 05:40:17 am »

On a side note, do we have an idea whom to attack? And what to for the revision. Going for extra economy might be nice, but I don't think we can do it with a revision.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 30, 2015, 06:28:50 am »

Edit:Or we can do this for our revision:

Spoiler: Kent Class Bomb Vessel (click to show/hide)
I don't think the gunboats are big enough to hold 8 twelve pounders...

On a side note, do we have an idea whom to attack? And what to for the revision. Going for extra economy might be nice, but I don't think we can do it with a revision.
Well, I did suggest a plan earlier...

So, brainstorming a bit on future plans.

If you look at the game map, just to the right of Worchester, in Dunwich land, there's a small peninsula right next to an area flanked by two rivers. Currently, we both have cheaper cannons then everyone else (because we have another ore), and we also have superior cannons that out-range anything Dunwich currently has.

To me, that looks like an opportunity. If we can get a longarm upgrade of any sort that would let us counter the advantage of their Air Rifles, I think we should be able to take that peninsula and invade into the area between those two rivers, especially since our first transports should be coming out of the docks this turn, so we'll be able to invade with a lot more people at once.

Once we have landed and made our initial beachhead, our advantage in artillery should prove a key advantage, and with the rivers guarding our flanks (and only one direction we have to guard against on the peninsula if we take that too), I don't think they'll be able to throw us back.

But to make that initial beachhead, we're going to need to counter their air rifles, so I really think that a longarm upgrade is what we should do this turn, either in the design, revision, or sneaky git espionage phase.

...as always, feedback and advice is welcome, and so are any better ideas someone else might have.

Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 30, 2015, 07:01:52 am »

there was also some discussion on it. In particular, I suggested focusing on the peninsula, which is narrow and it seems ( to me, at least) easier for our first wave of soldiers ( few and underequipped) to hold a position until the second wave arrives. Keep in mind that we aren't going to have many transport ships, perhaps a couple. Furthermore, in the peninsula our fleet can give us artilley support, while in the river area the infantry needs to rely entirely on what they can carry, with artillery warfare going on in all 3 directions.

As fo the revision: the kent class as proposed is a no-go. our gunboats are refitted fishing vessels, no way we can get 8 howitzers on that. even one might be a bit of a stretch. if you instead meant our brig, that is also a problem. Bomb vessels are generally purose built, with reinforced hulls and one or 2 mortars. Furthermore, that is a lot of stuff for a revision, if you also want to include bettter casting.
It would be better, if we want the bomb ship, to revise the howitzer now and next turn design a proper ship for it.

edit: I forgot: changing my vote to +1 Long-range rifle MKI. simple, reliable, likely to succeed and help us in our next attempt on the mainland.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:31:15 am by andrea »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 30, 2015, 08:51:08 am »

I'm not sure we should take small steps when the enemy is already ahead. Also, I don't like the name. It's too generic.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 30, 2015, 09:18:54 am »

the name can be changed. And we must take smallish steps, simly because next turn we will have... 1 transport ship? 2 maybe?  we need a defensible area.besides, just because we land in a place, it doesn't mean that during the turn we don't advance elsewhere.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 30, 2015, 09:21:14 am »

We need to advance decently. If what Sheb said in the international thread is true, then in a turn or two the enemies Victoria weaponry will be cheap.

We already ran behind last turn, with the cannon being less than spectacular.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:22:56 am by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 30, 2015, 09:51:24 am »

we doubled the range of the cannon and got tech which, for the time being, allows us superior performance from any artillery piece. I think the cannon was great.

Also, what are you proposing for the focus action? we can't attack a city directly. amphibious attack on a settlement with just one ship worth of soldiers is, quite frankly, suicide. We need to attack somewhere in the countryside.
I don't believe that a victory will give more or less land if we land on the peninsula or between the river. The argument should, rather, focus on which one gives a better chance of victory. And victory will get us roughly 1/4 of the territory.

Now, the direction of the advance might be more relevant. If we land in the peninsula, we might want to advance south against montgomery. It would bring it within our range next turn. If we land between the rivers, perhaps we should instead seize the whole strip of land as suggested by happerry suggested, and next turn approach a city.

either way, don't expect anything spectacular until we gain a foothold on the island or have a good landing fleet. the first square mile of land is going to be the most important, by far.

edit: wait. did you mean make a more daring design, rather than advance on the ground? In that case, while true, we are voting a safer alternative because we want to try to land this turn. A botched design means less chances to gain a foothold and possibly wasting one more turn. While it won't get us huge advantages over the enemy in the rifle field, it evens chances out a bit. Disadvantage in small arms is one of the reasons I want to land in the peninsula, to leverage our fleet. Also, keep in mind that so far we have an artillery advantage, especially if we revise the howitzer to use our casting. That should greatly help.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:09:43 am by andrea »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #308 on: November 30, 2015, 10:29:14 am »

If we were to land, we need some seriously heavy artillery. As in, ridiculously heavy. As in, multiple Congreve rocket launcher mounted on a ship.
For the guns - I am okay with the rifle, we can get the Collier revolver (not exactly the Colt Paterson but it's okay) in some other way.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 30, 2015, 10:34:26 am »

we can bring a lot of artillery to the field, as long as we don't strike a fortification directly, we should be fine on that front.
Plus, we outrange their guns so even less artillery can still keep an area clean for landing.

why do you think we need an heavy rocket artillery barrage?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 30, 2015, 10:44:52 am »

because I think our current long range cannons in the ships and, after we land, our field cannns and howitzers will be enough artillery support.

not that I wouldn't like an heavy rocket barrage but for a land invasion a rifle seems an higher priority, considering we have our artillery support covered.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 30, 2015, 10:56:05 am »

Better question - why do you think we don't?
Because it's

Action 1 : Design rockets
Action 2 : Mount rockets on ships

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #313 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:24 am »

Better question - why do you think we don't?
Because it's

Action 1 : Design rockets
Action 2 : Mount rockets on ships
Or...
Action 1: Design rockets with ships strapped to them.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 30, 2015, 11:05:38 am »

No I think we need better rifles, and better pistols for a land war, our troops need to feel important after all.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34