Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Tanglestaves (40.24 Succession)  (Read 5457 times)

brendsmalls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tanglestaves (40.24 Succession)
« on: November 13, 2015, 10:05:06 pm »

I'm looking for people for a 40.24 succession fort, with people passing it to the next overseer every week. I'll leave the first year up to one of you, but the initial site has been picked, a tall plateau above a river deep below it with a waterfall.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our parent civ, the Razors of Calm, has been infiltrated by filthy goblins and has been under attack by warlike Elves of the Splattered Fells for decades. The Dwarves of Tanglestaves have been tasked with establishing an outpost closer to the Elven homeland, but a third party, a tower of Human necromancers, may complicate things. Putting your write up in an imgur album usually works best, I look forward to hearing about your FUN.

Secure your site, watch for Elves, and strike the earth!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/waxggdcu1zld8t4/AABmVuUcGmbzUTRG7I76iyWMa?dl=0

Current Turn Order
Year 1 - TheCheeseMaker
Year 2 - jwoodward48df
Year 3 - Gwolfski
Year 4 - Brendsmalls

If you'd like to get in on the mayhem, feel free to request a victim Dwarf during someone else's turn, I'm sure someone will have... plans... for you.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:32:09 am by brendsmalls »

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tanglestaves (40.24 Succession)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 12:51:29 am »

Well, seeing as I have one of my first weekends in a long time where I have no work or schoolwork to get done, think I'll take a turn here.  I've downloaded the save and should be getting started tomorrow if that's ok with you, brendsmalls.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

brendsmalls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 01:14:47 am »

Sounds good, you can have the first year.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 04:56:39 am »

second  year, pls
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

brendsmalls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 05:14:36 am »

second  year, pls

Alright you'll be in line for year 2 (or 1, if something goes terribly, terribly wrong)

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 10:25:13 am »

Edit: Nevermind, I've answered my own questions.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:31:18 am by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 11:58:13 am »

Journal of TheCheeseMaker

Life is the worst, sometimes, you know?

Like, for example, when your mother decides to name you TheCheeseMaker, then not actually teach you how to make cheese.  Or when you’re always being forced to move from place to place, never staying long enough to make friends.  Or being around fire snakes.  Or watching your friends and family being horribly mutilated and murdered wherever you go.

Unfortunately, events like this happen to everyone.  Such is the way of life.

I personally, however, believe myself to be cursed.  Not because everyone around me dies, but because I always survive.  Some people claim my bad luck is due to worshiping Avuz Ferastesh, who is responsible for allowing the demon, who has caused the dwarves here so much pain, to enter the world.  There is no proof that he did that, though.

Spoiler: He totally did. (click to show/hide)

I’m writing this journal because my therapist said that writing down my thoughts about my life would help me better understand my own feelings.  Of course, my state sponsored therapist was also a goblin who advised that any time I feel angry, the best course of action was to murder the nearest person.

Unsurprisingly, she was killed pretty quickly after she began her practice.

Anyway, I’m moving again.  After a long and grueling debate, the government of the kingdom of The Razors of Calm, decided that the best course of action was to create a new fortress near the elven homelands, where we will exact our revenge upon the lesser beings for the war started all those years ago. 

The government, of course, being a single drunken goblin who knows less about military strategy than a hamster man.  The rest of the government, and nearly every single dwarf, were murdered by a forgotten beast back in the 70s.  I was there too, but I, obviously, survived.

So as one of the greatest miners left in the entire kingdom,

I am one of the lucky few chosen to create this fortress, called Tanglestaves, because the baroness was drunk when she named it.  Since this is my first journal entry, I should probably describe some stuff about me:

Other interesting characters on our journey, include our expedition leader, brendsmalls, who has some interesting views on the war with the elves.  Hey baroness! Maybe if you’re going to create a fortress based around the military, don’t send someone who, in his own words, “views tranquility as one of the highest ideals” and “does not really value skills related to fighting.”

Spoiler: Peace-loving hippie! (click to show/hide)

Despite that, he’s a good worker and I feel like he can lead us competently in the future.

Everyone else is a pretty standard dwarf, except for someone named Gwolfski.  Now, most people are pretty hypocritical in their ideals, but not Gwolski.  No, she, once again in her own words, “thinks working hard is an abject idiocy,” but unlike the others, can actually back up her claim with her list of skills.

Spoiler: Gwolfski’s skills (click to show/hide)

Anyway, we should probably be arriving at the location within a couple of days, so I probably won’t write again until then.  If we’re lucky, maybe not everyone will die before we even reach the site.

Edit: I had to change a couple things, since on a closer look at legends mode, it's pretty clear that our civ, for all intents and purposes, doesn't actually exist anymore, but more on that in the next update.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:04:03 pm by TheCheeseMaker »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 12:08:23 pm »

Third year please.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 12:34:09 pm »

Writing gold again, TheCheeseMaker. :P

brendsmalls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 04:19:34 pm »

Third year please.

Your wish is granted! Also, laughed out loud at my dwarf's values, so good.

Levander

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 05:46:10 pm »

Requesting fifth year!
Where were the werebears getting wear they can bear to wear?

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 07:50:38 pm »

I enjoy your writing Cheesemaker, though the pics are bit small. The civ is run by a drunk goblin, absolute gold.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

brendsmalls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 08:14:32 pm »

Requesting fifth year!

In trying not to plan quite that far ahead, but if things are going smoothly in a couple years I'll start taking names down again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:56:16 pm by brendsmalls »

brendsmalls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 08:16:17 pm »

I enjoy your writing Cheesemaker, though the pics are bit small. The civ is run by a drunk goblin, absolute gold.

When I genned a world where the elves had been starting fights with dwarves I knew I found something wonderful. It only got better when I looked up the Razors of Calm and their sad history in legends mode. The nearby tower is also a clowncar of a couple dozen different necromancers all cranking out books, so the "visitors" won't stop any time soon.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:24:12 pm by brendsmalls »

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 05:11:47 pm »

A dorf and a turn, if you please. If we uh... get that far.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 05:19:23 pm by Iliithid »
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4