Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tanglestaves (40.24 Succession)  (Read 5450 times)

brendsmalls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tanglestaves (40.24 Succession)
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 03:19:47 am »

Having any difficulty?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 03:03:21 pm »

Real life. I'll be able to play in a couple days, might be able to play for a while right now, but one paper due tomorrow and an exam the day after that.  :-\ College is fun but hard.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 10:42:36 pm »

And about a month later, I arrive! So it turns out those dwarves were dancing in preparation for DF2015, in which dancing was introduced. Sadly, not for old saves. So this will be kept on DF2014, at least for my turn. And because my computer's rekt, everything I did is gone.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2015, 01:08:10 pm »

I will begin. Now that 42.04 is out (and I consider it to be at least equal to 40.24 in terms of playability) I will in fact be using it for this fortress.

And it is wonderful. I have designated the dining hall as a tavern and placed a drink stockpile within, as well as a temple to the side. Visitors have come and are telling stories. Dwarves are meditating - TheCheeseMaker is meditating on mountains. The only thing missing is a library, but we cannot make books (as the world was generated in DF2014).

Some elephants came by, but they went away quickly.
Sigtext!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2015, 06:25:29 pm »

This seems interesting. I'll take a turn if possible.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2015, 08:26:48 pm »

The Carvings of Moldath Fashdishmab, Engraver

24th Slate, 101

Note: I apologize for the giant entry; it seems many more dwarves came than were expected.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

27th Slate, 101

And boy did I sleep. 39 dwarves in total now live here. And I am quite grateful that they have come. Why didn't I just say "a bunch of dwarves arrived"? Well, partially because the Cheesemaker told me to... *smack* fine, brendsmalls. The "real" reason is that here, every dwarf is important. We don't know if there are any more dwarves out there: all these dwarves were living in camps or with humans and elves, but heard about Tanglestaves and came here for DWARVENKIND. Now we must rely on babies to bring back the dwarven civilization of the Razors of Calm. We now calmly rest on a razor's edge.

18th Felsite, 101

My wife is working so hard at becoming a swordsdwarf! I've never seen her work so hard before, honestly. She's covered in sweat, yet she persists, practicing slashing, stabbing, blocking, dodging, and striking.

In the tavern, someone's telling a story about the fall of the Razors of Calm. The Wicked Rag-Cruelties, curse their name, defeated us and pillaged Faintedsteel in the midwinter of 63, that accursed winter.

19th Felsite, 101

The three swordsdwarves are all sparring together. I am smoothing Ezum's bedroom. The miners are working on something near the river.

23rd Felsite, 101

Brendsmall announced today that Shosa Ethrabuslon, a human pikewoman, petitioned to reside in Tanglestaves for the purpose of soldiering. With great happiness he approved the petition. She's a competent soldier, and twenty-five years old. She's always dreamed of becoming a legendary warrior, and thinks that here is the right place to do so. The first thing she did was argue with a dwarf about the value of stoicism. Heh, she'll do fine here.

27th Felsite, 101

Since the pastures are growing shrubs, our herbalist is collecting them.

Shosa tells the story of the rise of a necromancer as law-giver of her human civilization. No wonder she left.

Ebir Simonerib, a human lasher, has joined us. He's happy to do so.

2nd Hematite, 101

Summer is here! Udil is a talented swordsdwarf, top of her squad!

4th Hematite, 101

There are no fish in the river. The immigrant fisherdwarves have fished not a single guppy. How unfortunate.

13th Hematite, 101

Some humans have arrived, and brendsmalls traded our hoard of crafts for their wood, metal, and food.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2015, 08:45:48 pm »

15th Hematite, 101

Apparently, there is a tunnel from the forges to the river. As I was smoothing them, a mechanic opened a small door then slammed it shut, screaming "Giant cheetah!" I recently saw a giant cheetah in the river, so that must be it. I also saw a turning axle and heard rushing water. I deduce a mechanical project.

The soldiers rushed down and gathered by the locked door. I hope my wife doesn't get injured.

16th Hematite, 101

The battle was uneventful. After a small scuffle, Gwolfski killed it with a hammer to the brain.

20th Hematite, 101

Udil has grown attached to her date palm training sword.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2015, 11:02:31 am »

13th Malachite, 101

Mafol Duthaldomas has been working aside me for months. He was a lye maker. Now he is an engraver. Quite talented.

15th Malachite, 101

Judging by the Kogan Scale, I'm talented too!

20th Malachite, 101

What joy! Udil has given birth to a girl. I have become a parent. Such adoration I feel!

2nd Galena, 101

As late summer begins, a small migrant group finds our fortress. There are many skilled craftsdwarves in it.

12th Galena, 101

Athel has finally finished processing all the pig tails into thread.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!~

Tha forgott'n beast En Pasmugquiba Budzuitvid ha' come! A HUGE serpent with extern'l ribs!! It has a KNOBBIE SHELL an' it SQUIRMS 'n' FIDGETS! Its rose taupe scales are BLOCKY 'n' CLOSE-SET!! BEWARE ITS NOXIOUS SECRETIONS!!!!~

But the caverns are sealed off! Phew! I nearly had a liver attack.

2nd Limestone, 101

A lord consort appeared. Before I could ponder this unusual visitor, Alath cried out: "Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!" The levers were pulled, the bridges lifted - we wanted to kill this kobold! It got away, but the soldiers discovered another kobold sneaking in. Gwolfski got there first, and the battle went so:

"The militia commander bashes The Kobold Thief in the left hand with her (silver war hammer), bruising the muscle!
The militia commander scratches The Kobold Thief in the head, tearing the muscle!
The Kobold Thief has been knocked unconscious!
The Kobold Thief falls over.
The militia commander bashes The Kobold Thief in the head with her (silver war hammer), bruising the muscle and fracturing the skull!
The militia commander bashes The Kobold Thief in the head with her (silver war hammer) and the injured part explodes into gore!
An artery has been opened by the attack!"

And I forgot: Cerol hunted an armadillo. More meat, bones, and leather = good.

Now Gwolfski is saying this:

"Death...  This is truly horrifying.
Those injuries...  Begone fear!"

Not a scratch hit her. I do not get her. At all. But I notice she is dizzy, and quite grouchy at being out in the sunshine again.

4th Limestone, 101

Erib the animal caretaker is overwhelmed by horror, staring at the dead kobold. Somehow, she knows it was named "Blijulber". "I could really use a drink," she says, and leaves, exhausted, to get one.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2015, 12:25:34 pm »

11th Limestone, 101

The dwarven caravan arrived. The CheeseMaker muttered something about bandits. However, no liaison arrived. A trader brought rumors of necromancers spreading across the land.

I immediately ran up to brendsmalls, demanding to know why there was not a reserve squad of training militiadwarves. Except for the small militia, us engravers, and a few miners, everyone's partying. Partying! He said that we would start to work on an aboveground structure for safety, and that mining was progressing in the hematite and tetrahedrite veins. Okay. He also said that every dwarf would be a reserve marksdwarf. "What do we have to make crossbows and bolts out of?!" I asked. "Metal is scarce, wood is scarce..." "Bone," he said. "Our hunters and butchers will provide us with material."

19th Sandstone, 101

The structure aboveground is being worked on, as is a mechanical project down by the river. Another forgotten beast has arrived in the caverns: a towering quadruped composed of chrysocolla. It has a pair of long antennae and it has a bloated body. Beware its poisonous sting! But it's trapped with the other beast, so we're safe. Speaking of the snake, it's killed quite a few trolls and crocodiles and whatnot. Peering through the small crack in the floor, I can see almost nothing but miasma.

And miasma is also present in our refuse pile. The bone carvers are getting a little annoyed. Still, we need bone crossbows and bolts to train with.

24th Sandstone, 101

My wife has become a great swordsdwarf! That means she is now a Swordsmaster, and is the second in her squad to do so. I am an adept Engraver, and hopefully will catch up to her soon!

9th Timber, 101

A giant hamster fell in the river and went up into the machinery. Cerol tried to hunt it, but ran out of bolts, so Rakust killed it with two bashes. It was rather funny to watch the entire militia run down there (giant hamsters could be deadly...) through the narrow corridor, then a minute later run back through, almost trampling Bembul and the CheeseMaker.

20th Timber, 101

A loud crash was heard throughout the fortress, then Bembul cursing. It seems he deconstructed the bottom of an axle, thinking that the CheeseMaker had already constructed the top support. He had not, so the entire construction fell down. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

14th Moonstone, 101

As winter begins, Bembul is designing wells and swimming pools. The entire militia goes outside to guard the miners, mechanics, masons, and haulers.

12th Opal, 101

I got into an argument with Mafol as we were smoothing the soon-to-be reservoir. I am also frusterated. I have been unable to practice a craft: this smoothing is too important. I cannot acquire objects, eat good food, or socialize with friends. I cannot even pray to Ular the Ultimate Prince. But I know this must be done. Freedom is worthless.

25th Opal, 101

Uthra Casastuse, a fifteen-year-old swordsman, has joined Tanglestaves.

((Question: is it okay if I go a season or so beyond the end of winter? I want to finish my machine.))
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:36:47 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 10:04:56 pm »

I am uploading the save.

However, I would be very grateful if you would wait a few days (and give up a few months) to let me finish my contraptions. Othersise, they will be built wrong - or not at all, the horror! Empty repeaters, connected to nothing, and lonely smoothed halls yearning for water. If I haven't posted back in three days, you may continue without me.
Sigtext!

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 07:32:57 am »

May I be DORFed as the next conscript into the militia? Or the first dwarf to undergo a strange mood, whichever the overseer prefers.
I'd request for a turn, but I use tilesets. Can't wait to see where this fortress goes, for I just retired a wholly surface dwarven fort untouched by gobs and kobs, and the lack of blood is getting on my nerves.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 02:50:56 pm »

Here's the save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11617

I am working on the contraptions right now, so please wait two more days. You don't have to, but I'd be quite happy.
Sigtext!

alexs2112

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't remember what that lever is supposed to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2016, 04:53:03 pm »

Sign me up for a year please. I've never done a succession game before and I'd like to try

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2016, 03:31:10 pm »

I'm almost done, will upload in a few hours.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2016, 04:56:12 pm »

A few things:

A pool has been set up, and the militia ordered onto the bridge. Many injuries occurred when the bridge fell out from under them. Dodok, a hammerdwarf, had his right hand explode into gore. And my baby is stuck in there! Nobody can seem to get her out!

The well has been set up.

A reservoir, with future-proofed floodgates, has been set up.

An emergency hospital was set up, because of the poor hammerdwarf whose hand may never work again.

--------

I leave this fortress with a potentially deadly makeshift "swimming pool", a set of axles that took up half our wood to do nothing but creak and bring power up to the millstone, and a well. Also, however, there is an above-ground structure upon which a tower may be constructed, and a set of cage traps. Tanglestaves will survive.

Just don't order the soldiers back in that thing, okay? Not until they've got at least a helmet on. I'm lucky none of them landed on their heads.

-------

It has been much too long since I prayed to Ular the Ultimate Prince, the goddess of duty. I suppose this entire year has been a shrine to her, but I pray now, meditating on duty.

Dodok says she's lonely and bored, but at least she has some pretty neat cloth wrapped around his broken hand! And what a fine splint! She's a fine dwarf, a great example for all the dwarves here. Her hand's just a little fractured, says the novice doctor, so she should be able to hold a shield again in a few years.

And yes, my child was fished out of there! Literally. Stupid fisherdwarves have actually been trying to fish in the pool. It's a pool, not a pond, dimwits. Now my wife holds her as she spars. All is good in Tanglestaves.

-----

The save will be up in a few minutes, right here below this text in this post.

IT'S HERE

Have !!FUN!!, Gwolfski!

(p.s. are you ever going to finish uristildom or is it dead?)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:07:42 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4