Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Apprentice [TSG]  (Read 10709 times)

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice [TSG]
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 02:03:39 pm »

I say we question Pip about the process to come and what will hppen should you become an apprentice. Im pretty sure we could beat baker-boy, as he only blew the candle out, while we lit it. Ours seems more impressive. In short, its game on chub-nuts

Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 02:15:34 pm »

Also how long the other apprentices have been training.
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 04:29:18 pm »

And we might have extinguished it, too.
The colors are clearly important.
In fact, if we have some sort of mental synthesesia, this might be helpful.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 04:31:40 pm »

Basically, Chub-Nuts has no chance against our xxX!SUPREMEWIZARDREY!Xxx
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 04:35:09 pm »

We don't exactly KNOW that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 07:05:33 pm »

PTW

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 09:07:27 pm »

You and Frederick engage Pip in conversation about your upcoming apprenticeships and what they are likely to involve.  This conversation continues for the rest of the night, and you learn that as with most apprenticeships you can expect to spend most of your time as an indentured slave doing household chores for your master, but that you will occasionally be taught the secrets of magic.  Pippin notes that he will be teaching you a fair number of those secrets, as it is the Master's custom that the elder apprentices teach the younger, nominally so that he can be free to teach only the important lessons, but mostly because Master Harold finds the basic lessons uninteresting.

Apprenticeships last seven years as elsewhere, and you learn that Pip has been apprenticed for two, making him eleven now.  Aethelwine, the eldest, is in his final year and is fifteen, whilst Tostig, the middle apprentice, is thirteen and still has three years to go.  Master Harold typically searches for a new apprentice every two years to take over the gap left by his latest graduate.

"Because the Master really, really hates doing his own housework," Pip adds.

The coach stops at a coaching inn late into the night and two rooms are hired by Master Harold; one for him and one for his existing apprentices.  He pays the suitable obsequious innkeeper with a handful of bright silver coins that you recognise as talens.  The pair of you seem to be expected to sleep in the coach, which somehow manages to be as cold inside as out.  Pippin opts to stay with you in the coach overnight, and the three of you huddle up on the seats.  Pip digs out some blankets from a hidden compartment beneath the coach seats.

"I've slept in this coach too many times," he mutters.  "Want to see a trick?"

Pip grins and draws a wand from his robe, literally a slim stick of wood.  He gestures into the air with it, and holds his free hand cupped in front of him.

There is a sort of pressure in the air, centred around Pip's free hand.  He gestures with his wand, trailing it as if drawing out toffee strands in the air, and you get this sense of crystallisation about you, separate from the atmosphere.  Pip makes a circular motion with his wand, and you get this sense of enclosure, sealing the pressure.  Pip makes a few small, complex gestures with his wand and you feel a pinprick in the air, which seems to follow his wand until it seals itself to the trapped pressure.

A sudden bloom of heat seems to swell out of mid air, invisible save for a slight haze around its point of origin.  It starts to warm the carriage up, and you can feel the chattering in your teeth start to die down.  You notice Frederick staring up in amazement, although you cannot be sure if he is noticing all that you are.  Pippin slides the wand back into his coat pocket, grinning.

"We have a campfire, now.  Anybody want to tell stories?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 10:44:59 pm »

"What was that??? It was like you made a bubble that's keeping the cold air out and warm air in."
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 10:49:16 pm »

"... That wand, looks different than it was when you pulled it out..."
Sigtext

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 09:38:25 am »

Spoiler alert: We are actually Merasmus
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 03:31:12 pm »

"What's with the colors?"

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 04:27:45 pm »

Ask him about the situation with the apprentices. Who do we want to like us, whos trouble, whos stupi. Then we can begin setting up our underground gambling ring

That is what we are gonna do right?
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2015, 07:29:12 pm »

"What was that?" you ask.  "It was as if..."  You struggle for words.  "As if you made a bubble to keep the hot air in."

"Not quite, but you have good senses.  It's a trick you'll learn later once you get the hang of basic channelling.  I don't strictly need the bubble ,as you put it, for the spell, but it lets me store up a bit of, let's call it magic, to keep the spell going without me running it manually.  If I've calibrated it correctly, we should have about an hour and a half of heat before I need to refresh it.  There are actually some books in the tower that you might be interested in reading on the matter."

There is a slight pause.

"I can't read," you say.

"Ah, right.  Country boy, I forgot.  I suppose that will be another of my tasks then.  You're not a lot of use if you can't read, you need to do a lot of study if you want to be a magician."

"I can read," says Frederick.  Bastard.

"Ah, useful.  Who taught you?"

"My mother.  She was a scribe's apprentice before she met Father."

"Excellent.  And can you sense the spell I was working?  The bubble and so on."

"Nnnnot quite," says Frederick. "It's as if I can tell there's something there, and maybe I can distinguish different parts, but I can't say anything detailed about them."

"One natural and one educated, then.  You're both half of an ideal apprentice."  Pip rolls his eyes.  "Well, I'll teach you to read, and we'll work on Fred's sensitivity."

"Your wand," you say.  "It looks a little different now that you've used it."

"Hm?  Oh yes.  You are sharp, aren't you?  That's contamination, happens to any implement.  Not a true wand, of course, but then this isn't one.  Implements are a very useful focus, but if you use them to work magic they pick up a bit of the magic with them.  Aethelwine swears by them, and he keeps one on him at all times because it makes it easier to work the same magic with them again.  I prefer to cut new ones and replace them often, as otherwise you might get magic mixed together and that mostly just causes your spells not to work well or at all.

"Anyhow, that's enough talking about work for now.  Get some rest whilst it's still warm, you'll regret it if you don't."

You bed down on the uncomfortable coach seat and eventually doze off.

Morning comes, and with it snow.  You wake to dawn's light, your every joint aching from cold.  You are surprised to see Fred already awake, then remember his parentage as a baker.  He seems lost in thought, and you have little energy for conversation in any case, so you huddle beneath your blanket and rub your arms to fend off some of the cold.  The Master has his breakfast in the tavern, but Pip is able to bring the pair of you some leftovers, mostly bread crusts and a bit of saved jam.  Hungry as you are, it tastes delicious.  Not long after you set on the road again, and you are grateful that you are allowed to take the blankets on top of the coach during the journey.  Even with the extra cover it is freezing, and Pip informs you that he cannot reliably maintain a heating spell in the open air, whilst travelling and driving the coach - any heat would dissipate away immediately.

Three long days the journey goes, with the snow worsening each day.  Master Harold and his favoured apprentices in the coach below cope by wrapping themselves in furs and reading (if apprentice) or drinking constantly (if Master Harold).  At the end of each day, Pip manages to smuggle Frederick one of the books, who reads all the way through each one with a furious, silent focus that somewhat intimidates, holding one of a handful of candles smuggled from one tavern or another.  Bereft of conversation with your fellow apprentice, you try to engage Pip in talks about magic, but he grows terse and irritable with the cold and exhaustion of the journey.  At the end of the first night he leaves the carriage in frustration and returns an hour later.  He thrusts a handful of stones of varying shapes and sizes into your hand.

"There.  If you can't find anything else to do, sharpen your witchsight.  When you can figure out the trick to seeing them in more detail, then come back to me and we'll talk about your first spell.  More of a notion than a spell, really, but still.  That should keep you occupied until we get back at least."

It does indeed keep you occupied, and you find yourself studying the otherwise entirely normal pebbles until your eyes and your head hurt.  It does at least get you to sleep.  Aside from some ordinary pebbles mixed in amongst them, you can detect several 'flavours' of something amongst them.  You can define what if any experiments you conduct with the pebbles at your leisure.

In the late afternoon of the third day, the carriage finally arrives at Master Harold's demesne, a tower with an attached village and a large amount of tenant farmland.  Part of you is slightly disappointed by the tower, feeling that it should spiral into the air like in stories and possibly have some sort of decorative pointed roof.  This looks very much like a tower build to withstand a siege, down to the squat shape, reinforced buttresses and heavily fortified crenellated battlements.  As the carriage pulls into the tower's courtyard, you notice several murder holes at the side of and above the entrance, as well as positions from which to drop boiling oil.

The carriage stops and Master Harold emerges.  He gestures to you and Frederick.

"Baker boy, get into the kitchens and get started on dinner.  You, sort out the horses.  Once you're done with that, stay out of my way, Pip will find you rooms."

Master Harold gives a dismissive flick of his fingers and strides into the tower's keep.  All three of his elder apprentices follow, but Pip mouths to meet him back here in the courtyard.  As for you and Frederick, the pair of you extricate yourself from the carriage roof, moving with awkward, stiff limbs.  Fortunately, you have cared for your fair share of horses in Duncan's service, and after an hour you have parked the carriage, unhitched the horses, led them to the tower's stable (no groom, but fresh hay has been laid in) and had them fed, watered and cleaned.  You return to find Pip waiting for you in the courtyard.

"Well, you've in luck.  Master seems to have forgotten about your existence, so you won't be required for the rest of the evening.  You have a night off, and believe me those are rare enough.  You could join us after table for a drink in the study, I'll save you some food, you could take a look at the village, I daresay you could take some time to study those stones when you aren't freezing, or whatever else you might like.  I wish you the best of it either way, as I shall be returning to the warm."

Pip gives you a grin and a mock salute and returns to the tower.  A fair question then.  How shall you occupy your evening?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 07:41:25 pm »

Don't think about the stones.  Do anything but.  Then come back to them later.
Sigtext

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 05:30:44 am »

Find a cosy, spot, stash some supplies and study stones.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12