Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Apprentice [TSG]  (Read 10695 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apprentice [TSG]
« on: November 12, 2015, 10:12:23 pm »

You were born and raised in the village.  Your mother was the most beautiful of the village folk, and died bringing you into the world.  Your father, from all that you have heard, was a traveller and a confidence trickster, and was long gone by the time you arrived.  Lacking siblings or parents you were given to one of your mother's more distant kinsmen, Duncan, who did not raise you as his own for he had already four children, but dutifully raised you as a ward of the village.  Your kinsman was neither kind nor cruel and you grew up with a deep sense of detachment from family and few real friends amongst the other village children.  Your childhood, save for a few precious moments, passed with little distinction.

At last came your ninth birthday, and Duncan's children gathered together with you for a somewhat sombre farewell party; a bit of bread and honey, some still-warm mutton stolen from a hearth and a single well-hidden sweetmeat from the roving trader who visited every few months.  You ate well, or as well as you ever did, and said your farewells to your kin.  No tears were shed, but you held them tightly that night, for you knew you would not see them on the morrow.

Nor do you.  Duncan awakens you before dawn and the pair of you set out along the long, dusty path towards the township.  It is high noon when you reach the town's marketplace, an ordinarily quiet affair with several stalls that you have visited before on Duncan's business.  Today the streets are thronged, and many brightly coloured tents are set up, for today is the day of the Hiring Fair.  Traders and commoners of all kinds are gathered together, some looking for work, some seeking workers, others to sell refreshment and entertainment to the seekers, yet others simply to enjoy the carnival air.  Most importantly for you, the Hiring Fair is where one might choose apprentices.  Masters and craftsmen select young boys and girls, typically of nine years of age, in order to train them in their craft in exchange for essentially indentured servitude.  Apprenticeship typically lasts seven years, leaving the surviving journeymen and women at a ripe age to set out into the world.

Duncan gives you a brief, almost perfunctory hug and leaves you with a group of other children waiting to be picked.  He does not turn back as he leaves, and the message is clear; he has brought you this far, if you do not get picked then that is your own fate and nothing to do with him.

Long hours pass, and the various craftsmen and women pick through the would-be apprentices like caravanners buying a suspect horse.  One or two of them actually check your teeth.  The gang of children diminishes, leaving only a handful of unwanted children like yourself, as as the sun continues to move across the sky the fair slowly begins to wind down.

When only four of you are left; yourself; a fat black-haired boy; an overly tall, thin blonde boy and a particularly slender girl; a pinched-faced, bespectacled older man in a grey coat approaches.  Three boys of varying age, likely between eleven and fifteen, follow him in similar grey clothes.  The two younger boys carry a shoulder bag and a scribe's travelling bag, whilst the elder walks tall and proud behind his master.  The older man squints at the four of you, until his gaze reaches yourself.

What does he see?

"You," says the old man.  "Skills?"

"Uh, yes sir," you say.  "I'm a -"

What was Duncan's profession?

"No, not you!" the old man snaps.  "You, the fat one."

"Baker, sir!" says the black-haired fat child behind you.

The scholar purses his lips and hrmms disapprovingly.  He continues squinting at your ragged little gang...
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice [TSG]
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 10:18:59 pm »

Duncan was a: Psychopath Assassin Drunk BlackSmith High_Priest_of_the_God_of_Mage_burning Butcher Alchemist!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:33:09 pm »

Duncan was a: Psychopath Assassin Drunk BlackSmith High_Priest_of_the_God_of_Mage_burning Butcher Alchemist!

yeah!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 03:23:11 pm »

When only four of you are left; yourself; a fat black-haired boy; an overly tall, thin blonde boy and a particularly slender girl; a pinched-faced, bespectacled older man in a grey coat approaches.  Three boys of varying age, likely between eleven and fifteen, follow him in similar grey clothes.  The two younger boys carry a shoulder bag and a scribe's travelling bag, whilst the elder walks tall and proud behind his master.  The older man squints at the four of you, until his gaze reaches yourself.

What does he see?

Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 04:55:41 pm »

He sees:
A skinny brown haired White boy that looks like a girl
A tall Skinny blond girl with massive breasts for her age
A Tall, Muscular, boy with Black and White Striped skin, who has Rainbow hair, and is covered in tattoos
An Average looking White boy, With White hair that has been dyed Black, and Pale Blue Eyes!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 04:59:03 pm »

a tough, slightly-above average, slightly more handsome boy with a slightly lighter blonde color than usual. Overall we could vanish in any group of people if we wanted and wouldn't ever stand out...yet somehow we do.

Our green eyes are squinted and full of scepticism and as for Duncan, he was nothing but a Farrier and occasional barber-surgeon...the kind that rips out teeth with his smithing pincers.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 09:53:58 am »

You, a white-blonde boy with fair muscle for your age (Duncan's bellows often needed pumping), stare with ice-blue eyes at the man in the grey coat.  He mutters to himself and then snaps his fingers.  The eldest of his entourage produces a candle and a tinderbox and hands them to the man, who lights the candle.  He holds the candle out.

"I want each of you to try and blow this out," he says.  "Blow as hard as you can, do whatever you need, but make the candle flame go out."

He passes the candle before the tall, thin blonde and the slender girl, and both of them blow hard at the candle flame, but it barely even moves.  Something about the flame seems oddly attention drawing, almost as if there is something not quite right about it.

The candle is brought over to you and you stare at the flame, trying to blow it out.  You huff and puff, and even your strong lungs seem to fail to so much as move it more than a flicker.  The candle is taken away from you, and you feel something wrench inside.

Is this it, then?  Will even this crazy old man not take you on?  Are you just going to end up being stood here at the end of the day, forced into begging and poverty?  Gods know Duncan won't take you back in.

The candle has been brought over to the last boy, the fat one at the end of the line.  His eyes are squinted and pig-like, and his face is red from blowing.  You swear you see the flame wobble a little.

No!

The flame winks out, to everybody's amazement, not least the fat boy's.

"Well well, baker boy," says the grey-coated man.  "Looks like you might have something hidden under all that lard after all.  What's your name?"

"Frederick, sir!" says the fat child.

"Come, Frederick.  You have a master now."

The grey-coated man turns and strides away, with his apprentices, including the new Frederick, scampering after him.  It takes a moment for you to get past the shock of the moment before you realise what is happening.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 12:07:42 pm »

Try and make the flame go on again.

If that fails. "Wait that was me and not him!"

EDIT: kinda reminds me of Krabat.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 12:12:49 pm »

"Uh... Sir... I... Think I might have done that... Somehow...Sir...?  Can you... Can I try again...?"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:15:34 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 02:13:02 pm »

You run after the grey coated man and his apprentices, stretching out your hand.

"Wait!" you cry.  The man stops and looks back, a dismissive expression on his face.  "Uh, Sir, I..."

He turns to leave.

"I think I might have done that sir!  Can I, can I try again?"

The grey man turns back and produces the unlit candle from his pocket.  He looks at it and then you and shakes his head, moving to put the candle away again.

Gods damn it, why won't it light?
With a sudden flare, the candle bursts back into flame again.  The grey man turns to look at you fully, then flicks the candle with his wrist.  The flame goes out.

"Hrm," he says.  He produces from his pocket three identical wooden wands, holding them up before you.  There is a slim wooden wand, a slim wooden wand and a slim wooden wand.

The second of the three wands stands out like a sore thumb.  You cannot say exactly what is odd about it, but it draws your attention, like a single sharp object in a sea of blurs.  You point at it.

"What - what is it?"

"What do you see?" asks the grey man.

"It looks... wrong.  Like there's something behind it trying to get out."

"Interesting."  The grey man's lip curls slightly at the side.  "It looks like we have two candidates, my apprentices!" he proclaims, addressing the three grey-coated boys.  "Alas, I will only take one apprentice.  Now which should it be?"

The grey man taps the wand to his lips a few times in thought.

"I have it!  I will take the pair of you on for a year.  Whomever shows the most promise stays.  The failure..."  He shrugs, a cruel smile playing upon his lips.  It melts away as he snaps his fingers at the youngest apprentice.  "The carriage, Pip.  Let us return home."

He strides off along the street, you and Frederick and the other apprentices hurrying after him, with the youngest apprentice rushing ahead and clambering atop the driver's seat of a black carriage to which are hitched four dark brown stallions (well, three and one mare, your Farrier senses tell you).

The grey man, your new master, gets into the carriage along with the two elder apprentices.  You, Frederick and the younger apprentice clamber atop.  The apprentice claps the reins and starts whistling to the horses, encouraging them off on a fair trot.  Once the carriage is underway, the apprentice glances back at you.

"Pippin," he introduces himself.  "Pip, if you like.  It's a three day drive to the tower, so make yourselves comfortable.  If you've got any questions, ask away."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 07:01:12 pm »

"What just happened?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 02:33:50 am »

Pip laughs.  "You got apprenticed!  Well, you got the opportunity of apprenticeship, only one of you will get the job.  Sorry about that, normally we only find one potential every few years, two at once is rare.  In any case, you have the honour of being maybe possibly perhaps apprenticed to none other than Harold of Lostland!"

A silence.

"No, really?  Never heard of him?"

You look at Frederick and shrug.

"Is he, in fact, a wizard?" asks Frederick.

"Yes, got it in one!"

"Are we going to be trained as wizards?" you ask, suddenly feeling your own heartbeat quicken.  You can feel your spirit soar.

"Ah, no." Your spirit crashes into a muddy field and sets on fire.  "Well, not exactly.  As Master Harold would say, he cannot train wizards, only magicians.  Wizardry you have to find on your own.  Are you sure you've never heard of him?"

"Wait," says Frederick.  "Isn't he the King's wizard?"

"King George?" you ask.

"Well, we don't have another king, so yes.  Master Harold is indeed the court wizard."

"So does that mean we're going to the capital?"  Again, your heart rises, a little more suspiciously this time.

"Nope!" Your heart ducks back behind a parapet, growing wise to this game.  "The master's tower is quite some distance from the capital, actually quite close to the border.  Master Harold prefers his privacy.  Any other questions?"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 05:24:57 am »

"So...whats the difference between a magician and a wizard?"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 12:52:05 pm »

"So what's the difference between a magician and a wizard?" you ask.

"A wizard, as the Master would tell you and Aethelwine knows very well," Pip nods down towards the carriage, "is a magician who has forged his own wand.  I don't know the specifics of it, and the Master generally will not go into them.  All I know is that a wand makes a wizard significantly more powerful.  To give an example, a skilled magician can assault a platoon of men in a fight with his magic, perhaps turning the tide of a battle.  Wizards decide the outcome of wars.  For this reason, the Master insists that each magician search for the secrets of wandlore himself, as the road to discovery might teach them not to wield such powers unwisely."

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 01:54:31 pm »

Considering this was the first non-starting comment, im DEFINITELY joining this
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12