Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - Game Over.  (Read 57501 times)

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
Re: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - Game Setup
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2015, 10:04:28 am »

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the work Il Palazzo.

Alright folks, now that we have a good espionage mechanic in place everyone is going anticipate scandal and murder every turn on Byzantium Secundus so we have to step up to the plate and deliver.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2015, 11:42:23 am »

Anyone has this game working on Win 10? I copied the whole folder to my new computer, and it tells me to install the game.  :o

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2015, 02:07:48 pm »

Here's the file link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1eZPxTx0Z_4Z0RYR3JXMTFzTHc/view?usp=sharing

Notes on assassinations:
with the damage output such as they have, the better assassin units have a small chance of killing all but Decados and Hazat nobles in one blow. Most likely it won't happen, and they'll at best wound the target.

To get a properly done assassination, you'll likely need at least two good units (or a stack of crap ones), and attack one-at-a-time, otherwise all the extra units will start targeting other units in the stack.

The presence of a bodyguard means that you'll likely need to attack with two units to have a chance at scoring a hit on the noble, two bodyguards need three assassins, and so on.

Small defending stacks may fail to kill the assassin before close combat, at which point the better ones get another chance at finishing the job, but with such low close damage output it probably won't work unless the target is already damaged.

Since most missions are going to be suicidal, you want to always choose 'assault' to maximise the chances of scoring a kill.

At least that's the idea. Admittedly, testing wasn't terribly extensive, and of course there's a lot of randomness to combat, not to mention that certain je ne sais quoi that comes bundled with all EoFS mechanics.

In the end, we'll see how it works in practice.

Let the game start!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:13:31 pm by Il Palazzo »

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Phoenix, an EFS patch/remake
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2015, 06:01:22 pm »

A quick update regarding assassinations:
http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/bugs.htm number 56 has this to say:
Nobles, Officers and Dervishes have the same assassination ability as Spies, Assassins and Doppelgangers. I've partially worked around this problem in Nova, but it would be better to have it fixed properly.

This would suggest that the vanilla Noble, Officer and Dervish slots (45, 48 and 51) provide assassination ability. I have only looked at Emperor Wars 3.4e UNIT.DAT but there those have no units with indirect, so, since you picked indirect for prime assassination attack their usefulness as assassins should be limited compared to "real" assassins, and AFAIK they cannot attack on Byz II like Spy slot units can. That said, a large stack of Swords of Lexitus (slot 51) might do some damage in the enemy's higher ranks ... caveat: I've tested none of this personally.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2015, 06:29:29 pm »

That shouldn't be much of an issue, for the reasons you stated. But interesting to know.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2015, 08:03:52 pm »

Anyone has this game working on Win 10? I copied the whole folder to my new computer, and it tells me to install the game.  :o

Mine's working on Windows 10. Do you have the registry entry added?

sk128234

• Bay Watcher
  • King Charles is dead.
    • View Profile
Re: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - Game Started!
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2015, 08:43:20 pm »

turn sent!  i'll try to get some flavor up soon.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2015, 07:14:33 am »

By the way, I forgot to add I made some other, minor, last-minute changes to the unit.dat file too. Like giving trackers a bit better stats, or tradeports more income. You might notice those as you play. Nothing contentious I believe.

Turn sent

Oh dear god, where are all my units? I didn't realise how much more I had to work with at the beginning, playing al-Malik.

Lady Catherine, still in battle gear, was cowering before the onslaught of Lazarus' fury.
-How do you manage to break my precious antiques like that? Two Mastiffs lost to some rabble that barely had a gun to its name? I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the report. Do you think these tanks grow on trees? They remembered my grandmother's reign, for Zebulon's sake, and you've just run them into a ditch.
-But uncle, such are the realities of combat, you should know...
-Fuck realities. You should have been able to bend them to your will. That's what all this training you received was for. The times are rough, and our court dervishes all agree that momentous events are approaching. How are we ever going to stand our ground against other houses if carelessness and irresponsibility takes root in our family, and we waste the few assets we have like that?
-Sorry uncle. It'll never happen again.
-Not with those two tanks, that's for certain. They're beyond repair. Not much for scrapping, even.
Now get out of my sight. And talk to Lucinda. She's to take command of your troop for the time being. What ever made her entrust you with anything is beyond my ken.
You'll be spending the next year back in school, that frankly you shouldn't have been let out of yet.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2015, 05:52:25 pm »

How are the traits working? Are we going with default, some points system with any modifications, or none?

And if we are using traits, anyone have tips on what is genuinely relevant for this mod?

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2015, 06:01:57 pm »

Default for extra roleplay investment. The mod author also considered the starting traits when he developed each House strength and weaknesses. Although I think I am going to remove one of Hawkwood's starting loyalty traits for something superfluous like Friend in the League, +40 loyalty is way too much.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2015, 07:20:05 pm »

Nicolai, now known as Zebulon II, reached for the exotic Vorox steak prepared for him by his most trusted slaves. Drooling, he took a bite and chewed slowly. He watched the video again, for the sixtieth time.

"I hated the man, but he was still blood." he muttered under his breath. The video was no forgery. Decados nobility killed in action by a renegade from a long exiled imperial family.

One of Nicolai's cousins, his name of no concern, was gone for good this time. His last valiant campaign, no more heroic charges or last minute victories. Popular among the people, even more so than Zebulon II, his death was ill received in the capital.

Nicolai revealed a sly grin, as he realized the prize was worth the sacrifice.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2015, 09:20:37 pm »

Turn Sent
----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Get ready to pull!" shouted the Nobleman as he reloaded his absurdly cumbersome Quarry Gun.

His retainers strained and pulled an enormous crank connected to a large catapult a few paces nearby. Once a weapon of ancient war, now it served as a plaything for the bluest of bloodlines.

"My liege I must protest! Surely there must be more constructive and civilized way to spend the day?" asked a foppish chamberlain, picking at his badly fitting hunting clothes. The sun was rising above the backdrop of the ice-kissed mountains of Delphi in the distance. A small crowd gathered around the scene as family, friends and a Sheriff of the Realm looked on the field.

Clad in royal blue and bearing the gold crest of the Lion, the Noble grinning from ear to ear as he readied his weapon replied, "Nonsense! I think it's a rather ingenious way of discharging my duties AND squeezing a bit of fun into my schedule." Nodding to the Sheriff, he hefted the gun to his shoulder and aimed down the range.

The Sheriff read from a prepared film-scroll, "By Order of his Most wise and August majesty, Duke Bror Fredrik von Ivald Hawkwood, I now pronounce thee guilty of...two counts of treason most foul, may the Pancreator have mercy on your immortal soul!" With a quick pull of the catapults lever, a screaming vagabond hurtled into the air until his cries (and his head) were cut off by a thunderous crack.

A round of polite applause joined in the noise as the Duke lowered his smoking gun, he waved to the crowd and gestured to the Sheriff, "Well done. Justice has been carried out, Zebulon's will be done, etcetera, what do we have left in the lockup?"

"We have two murderers, one unlicensed slaver and a cattle stampeder sire."

"Cattle stampede? That's not much of a crime."

"He forced them through the Capitol Cathedral my lord."

"Kinkyyy, load him next then!"
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:24:18 pm by Margrave »

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2015, 08:39:19 am »

Turn sent!

So, the game has finally started. Al Malik looks much more powerful then Decados when I was starting the previous game. Although I have to say that I feel the lack of really good units.
Also, let's exchange passwords?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many nobles have gathered in the palace of Istakhr. It was decorated with many famous art works. There was almost no hall without magnum opus picture or statue or at least without golden chandelier with a few hundreds of plasma lamps.

- My dear cousins! Just like the shattered vase the world has broken into small pieces. They are drifting away and will not soon combine again. Hawkwood as usually will try to get emperorship, Hazat will oppose them, Li Halan will try to take over Church and Decados will try to infiltrate all other houses and ministries.

Some nobles nodded at this words. In Al Malik it is common to have deals with other houses and their plans were not so hidden from this people.

- And this chaos is our best chance... to multiply our holdings! We cannot work on only 4 worlds - our trading network requires much more space! And this chaos is our best chance to cover the whole Empire!

Nobles start to applouse. At first they were sure that Rockefeller, the head of Al Malik, will propose just another mad plan to capture the world or gain regentship, but this proposition was looking really good.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2015, 09:20:35 am »

Yes. Did not help.
Have you done anything else other than just copying the folder? Did you copy it some place special, or just on the desktop? Are you running 64-bit or 32?

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2015, 09:48:26 am »

Yes. Did not help.
Have you done anything else other than just copying the folder? Did you copy it some place special, or just on the desktop? Are you running 64-bit or 32?

I am very much sure that it's DirectX fault. It has very bad old versions support and EotFS also has many graphical bugs already.
Also, DirectX 32 and 64 bit versions are somewhat different, so I guess it is why the game launches on one machine and crashes on another with the same OS. Maybe you both should try Run-command "dxdiag" and look for the difference?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:26:22 am by Gollor »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33