Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33

Author Topic: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - Game Over.  (Read 57539 times)

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
Re: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - The First Scepter War
« Reply #345 on: May 19, 2016, 06:51:03 pm »

"Archives"->"City Info" which is now under construction for Phoenix-0.52, and it should be possible to
set build queues and goto city from there so it should be more useful.
set build queues
set build queues

HOT DAMN. That alone would slash the time it takes to play my turn by half.
I'll try it out.

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Phoenix, an EFS patch/remake
« Reply #346 on: May 19, 2016, 07:11:13 pm »

"Archives"->"City Info" which is now under construction for Phoenix-0.52, and it should be possible to
set build queues and goto city from there so it should be more useful.
set build queues
set build queues

HOT DAMN. That alone would slash the time it takes to play my turn by half.
I'll try it out.

I should point out that maybe I should have written "set the build queues" as build queues were implemented in v0.9.0, two years ago 8). And the build units window also has a selectable list of all planets where you have cities, and a selectable list of the cities on the selected planet, and the current build queue shown is the one in the selected city. So a bit more modern interface for building units  :)

But I was thinking a long list like sortable interface like in "City Info" might also be good to have ...

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2016, 08:04:07 pm »

(Question for this game)

Do you have to have your own house's noble on the surface to vote, or does a ministry's suffice? Which one are we going by?

On one hand, that would be an unfair (?) advantage for ministers. On the other hand, that could be considered an expression of the power one gets when one is a minister. As usual, I'm gonna abstain for the actual vote.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 19, 2016, 10:40:52 pm »

(Question for this game)

Do you have to have your own house's noble on the surface to vote, or does a ministry's suffice? Which one are we going by?
I don't think ministry nobles should count here.

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 20, 2016, 04:18:58 am »

I tried to install that setup file, but it failed in both Wine and virtual Windows. In the case of Wine after the installation it simply refused to launch, without any message windows. In the case of virtual machine Windows after the installation when I try to launch the exe it says that my Windows version is not supported and I have to contact the distributor to get the version I require, be it 86x or 86_64x version.
The installation in itself performs fine.
I tried to build the project from repository, but it seems to be too obfuscated. Exactly, I failed to launch the project in Eclipse IDE. Can you try to add bash script or makefile? It requires some specific knowledge but it is really cool for any Linux-based OS. I will still try to manually create the project and insert there all source files and then try to compile it.

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 20, 2016, 06:59:10 am »

I tried to install that setup file, but it failed in both Wine and virtual Windows. In the case of Wine after the installation it simply refused to launch, without any message windows. In the case of virtual machine Windows after the installation when I try to launch the exe it says that my Windows version is not supported and I have to contact the distributor to get the version I require, be it 86x or 86_64x version.
The installation in itself performs fine.
I tried to build the project from repository, but it seems to be too obfuscated. Exactly, I failed to launch the project in Eclipse IDE. Can you try to add bash script or makefile? It requires some specific knowledge but it is really cool for any Linux-based OS. I will still try to manually create the project and insert there all source files and then try to compile it.

Hmm, I tried it with Win 7 both in virtual machine and not, and it has worked ... I was hoping self-contained would make it easier to use :(

Here is a self-contained package made for Ubuntu 1404 linux,
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7pbLNesu2qwemhvMGhpX0FWVzQ

And here is just Phoenix, requiring separate java install/configure
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7pbLNesu2qwOFNfUEJ3aU5mbVE

Both should be unzipped into your EFS directory (make backup first)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:01:34 am by joulupunikki »

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 20, 2016, 08:21:36 am »

Ok, I was able to run it with this jars. There were exactly two problems: Naturally Ubuntu consider java 1.8 as "experimental" (or maybe just unstable, not sure) and it has to be installed separately. It is fine, although, but probably should be noted. The second problem - the many files in the EOTFS directory contain low-case symbols, for example "PCX/CATHED3.pcx". Not sure if it depends on mods or the original game was the same. The thing is that Linux is case sensitive and was unable to read them, showing me java.awt errors.
But now it works!

It is definely can be played, but at the moment it is full of bugs and, as you say, is striped out of AI.
I guess I could help with writing the last one thing. I have some good knowledge of reinforcement learning, the technology which was used to self-train programs to play Atari games and recently to win GO championship. It probably will be very hard to write a decent environment for it, but the results could be very interesting. If I will not be busy this summer I will try to contact you.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:39:19 am by Gollor »

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2016, 09:15:03 am »

Turn sent.

I'll be out of town Monday-Friday and unable to play the turn.

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2016, 10:29:43 am »

Ok, I was able to run it with this jars. There were exactly two problems: Naturally Ubuntu consider java 1.8 as "experimental" (or maybe just unstable, not sure) and it has to be installed separately. It is fine, although, but probably should be noted. The second problem - the many files in the EOTFS directory contain low-case symbols, for example "PCX/CATHED3.pcx". Not sure if it depends on mods or the original game was the same. The thing is that Linux is case sensitive and was unable to read them, showing me java.awt errors.
But now it works!

Dammit, I've dealt with that and then forgotten about it. Here is a bash command that will transform all filenames in directory DIRECTORY to uppercase .
Code: [Select]
find DIRECTORY -depth -execdir sh -c 'mv "{}" $(echo "{}" | tr [:lower:] [:upper:])' \;
It is definely can be played, but at the moment it is full of bugs and, as you say, is striped out of AI.
I guess I could help with writing the last one thing. I have some good knowledge of reinforcement learning, the technology which was used to self-train programs to play Atari games and recently to win GO championship. It probably will be very hard to write a decent environment for it, but the results could be very interesting. If I will not be busy this summer I will try to contact you.

If it fails to start do not waste too much time trying to make it work, or on the AI until we see what comes of my 2nd gen Symbiot AI.

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2016, 11:12:59 am »

If it fails to start do not waste too much time trying to make it work, or on the AI until we see what comes of my 2nd gen Symbiot AI.

It works fine exactly. The problem is that it has a lot of minor bugs. For example:
- When on a space map you click many times it stops to receive any new signals for a short time. So it is hard to quickly move through the map.
- When you select units on a detailed screen (the one where you can see unit parameters) you have to click right on the unit image, the program doesn't accept clicking on unit names. There are also no unit avatars.
- The planetary map has no soft tile borders (obviously).
- Archives may crash if you try to enter page with some specific topic.

But in the other ways it works fine.

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2016, 02:07:03 pm »

It works fine exactly. The problem is that it has a lot of minor bugs. For example:
- When on a space map you click many times it stops to receive any new signals for a short time. So it is hard to quickly move through the map.
- When you select units on a detailed screen (the one where you can see unit parameters) you have to click right on the unit image, the program doesn't accept clicking on unit names. There are also no unit avatars.
- The planetary map has no soft tile borders (obviously).
- Archives may crash if you try to enter page with some specific topic.

But in the other ways it works fine.

1: The trouble with the mouse clicks has to do with this issue. I updated and reopened it based on your input as the ability to play fast is rather essential. I'd hate to lose the option to replay games automatically but if it interferes too much with playability then it must go.

2: I just checked EFS1.4 and the area with names and details should function when selecting units, so a new issue was opened about this.

3: That archives crashing is new to me. If you run into any more anomalies please post the contents of "phoenixlog.txt" in the EFS directory.

Edit: That Archive crashing seems to be caused by the above mentioned issue with lower case letters in filenames, so a new issue was opened for this.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:49:40 pm by joulupunikki »

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2016, 05:04:01 pm »

One thing I noticed was that when I dragged a unit into a transport, I had to drag their graphical icon, rather than any part of their unit block. I also had to drag the icon to the transport's icon, rather than its unit block. This seemed a little cumbersome compare to the way it is in EFS 1.4.

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 20, 2016, 05:53:24 pm »

One thing I noticed was that when I dragged a unit into a transport, I had to drag their graphical icon, rather than any part of their unit block. I also had to drag the icon to the transport's icon, rather than its unit block. This seemed a little cumbersome compare to the way it is in EFS 1.4.

Gollor also reported on the unit focus being only on the icon instead of the block so this will definitely have to be fixed in 0.52.

Did you manage to install the self-contained windows package "Phoenix-0.51.0-alpha-setup.exe" ? Gollor said he had no success with Wine or virtualized windows. Which OS are you using ?

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 20, 2016, 06:27:11 pm »

I installed and played around with it. I had some trouble getting it to work initially, but after making sure the folder wasn't read-only, running it as an administrator, and making sure the path has \Phoenix at the end after setting the file path it worked.

I really, really like it so far. This has the potential to be a HUGE improvement over vanilla EFS. The opportunity to have player League and Church (maybe even Symbiots if there are masochists who like playing this game) is really exciting.

There were some issues I saw, if you'd like I can PM you a list of stuff I found that wasn't working so well.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 20, 2016, 06:57:53 pm »

Well, my Avast liked the installer seemingly less than every other file I install, but once it scanned it multiple times, it installed to my EFS folder fine and I was able to launch it no problem. I'm using Windows 10 64-bit.

Here's another question - what about the Vau? What kind of AI does a semi-neutral, isolationist faction need? I've always found the Vau a very interesting presence in EFS and the setting as a whole. But even as Decados, right next to them, I hardly see any reason to go to war with them, and they certainly won't go to war with me or do anything of their own. Perhaps more of a trade element would be interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33