Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Afterlife  (Read 4993 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Afterlife
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2015, 10:09:05 am »

Are we able to hunt down other undead and feed off of them to grow more poweful?
We... what? No, no, we certainly can't just devour the essence of other souls. We lack any knowledge or skills to do that, though we are somewhat sure that the dark arts hold such knowledge in store.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2015, 10:55:20 am »

(What game is this?)

Become a tool of Righteous Vengeance. My hate will be for good, and the rewards for punishing the guilty make the act even sweeter than before.
+1
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2015, 11:44:29 am »

(What game is this?)
(Just me running a plain old suggestion game? The semblance to ascii-roguelikes, is intended though. Good times. On that matter, I'll take the chance to give credit to "Kyzrati", creator of "Rexpaint", which makes all of this rather easy. Well, at least compared to most other methods out there, I guess.)
Ha , you use Rexpaint? i feel like the only one that does not use rexpaint.(I use "asciipaint")
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 06:30:11 am by KillerHP »
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2015, 06:08:18 pm »

Afterlife

Resolving the grudges of other ghosts, as to rise in power yourself, strikes you as an acceptable compromise. Not all grudges are rightful though, and you might want to question the motives of those who would enlist your help - "Judges and Guardsmen, avoid the gallows" after all.

In the meantime, you have made yourself a bit more presentable. Having a mob come after you in the daytime, would cut your revenge quite short. Luckily, it seems to not have rained heavily since your burial, as you are mainly dirtied by dust, instead of being caked with mud. You still bear an ugly wound along your throat though, a dead give-away towards your current state of undeath.

For all that it is worth, you noticed to have retained possession of your sigil ring. You don't have any particular sense of fondness for it, nor would it be impossible to counterfeit. Regardless of its future use to you, holding on to it shouldn't prove to hurt you. Or so you presume.

From the looks of it, the graveyard is overall not greatly cared for. Overgrown or fallen slabs galore, with the forest even slowly reclaiming the area. The depth of the later, you are unable to fathom nor remember, though this close to the capital, you can't envision it to be one of the ancient, or dangerous woods, which one should avoid to enter at all cost.

At the other end of the graveyard, is a small shrine, the subtle unearthly glow and wailing from its direction, more than hinting at ghostly activity. Much further into the same direction, where the forest opens up, you can see a spark of light. If it is the torch of some guard, a campfire, or something else entirely, you are unable to make out due to the distance.

Even if the night is far from over, it would be prudent to start to seek shelter before dawn.

(Aww, yiss. That portrait came out rather well, if I might say so myself. )
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 06:01:06 am by escaped lurker »

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2015, 06:31:42 am »

Try to make a improvised shelter out of branches and leaves in the forest.(yep , this can be done in real life , so i guess its possible here , right?)NOT in the direction of the light , though.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2015, 08:59:20 am »

Head to direction of the shrine and try to figure out what the wailing sound is.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2015, 09:43:48 am »

Head to direction of the shrine and try to figure out what the wailing sound is.
+1

It was stated that it was not close to night yet, so lets see what the shrine is before we dedicate a Shelter.

Even so, aren't we an incorporeal entity? Why we need shelter when any elements would phase through us. Its not like we can die again through natural means, only at most being banished by priests or higher Dark entities.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2015, 09:46:05 am »

It's still night except light is comming soon and pretty sure sunlight wont kill us but will leave us in very weak state.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2015, 09:53:34 am »

It's still night except light is comming soon and pretty sure sunlight wont kill us but will leave us in very weak state.
Oh I misread, I through it was morning and night was approaching. So its the case I think we focus on the shelter then.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2015, 10:21:01 am »

Even so, aren't we an incorporeal entity? Why we need shelter when any elements would phase through us. Its not like we can die again through natural means, only at most being banished by priests or higher Dark entities.

Bay12 has choosen us to be a Revenant - a ghost that has repossessed its former body. As such, yes, we can loose our corpse, or even free ourself from it. But, as we are tethered to this realm through our corpse, we can't stray from it all-too-far in ghost-form. Having our body destroyed, would have us loosing most of our power. Which, currently, would be close to banishment.

Else, it is only a short while after midnight. Dawn will start at about 5, half an hour later we will have massive problems with even moving about, and at 6, well, you don't want to find out what happens to us under the full glare of the sun. (Yes. That sounds a lot like vampires, right? Then again, the original vampires of eastern folktales, were actually just revenants that occasionaly sucked blood. To make them more interesting for the central european audience, well, they were changed to what we know them by now.)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2015, 10:51:13 am »

ptw. seems fun.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2015, 12:42:17 am »

Afterlife

Deciding to explore the nearby occurrence, you carefully wander towards the shrine.
The building itself, is rather unremarkable; a declining limestone foundation, with a rusted idol on its shingle roof.
Surrounding it, however, is a maddening display.

You feel sick to the core. The spirits and ghosts dance and gibber in a catatonic chorus, and while none of them actually brings forth words, the rhythm and incantation reveals their aim.
Elnea, goddess of mercy's "Prayer of Redemption", reserved only for heinous sinners. Having noticed another nameless gravestone like yours before, you hastily glance at a few others in your vicinity. None of them bear a name. Outlaw grounds - you should have suspected as much.

Regardless, the atmosphere of this place weighs heavily on you. A fixation or grudge not close to your own, should normally not be able to influence you much, but in this case their aim seems to be the complete opposite of yours. Should you approach much closer, or dally around too long, you think this could drive you mad.

Ready to leave, you look over the scene once more, and notice a pair of glowing orbs staring back at you. This one, has not joined their dance, and is instead glaring at you. Worse yet, even over all the madness surrounding him, you still can feel some of his hostility.

It about half an hour after midnight, dawn will come at five.

This place, is poison to you.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2015, 02:18:12 am »

Seeing how the very shrine is a detriment to us, I say we just a few paces east away from it and talk to this ghost. He may have a relevant grudge we can solve. If he proves too hostile, lets head to the woods and make the shelter KillerHP talked about.

Try to make a improvised shelter out of branches and leaves in the forest.(yep , this can be done in real life , so i guess its possible here , right?)NOT in the direction of the light , though.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2015, 03:49:28 am »

Anyway , thrust me , the shelter will protect us from the light.
And rain.
Not sure about powerful wind though.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2015, 05:03:24 pm »

Afterlife

You decide to speak up to the spirit, for why not?

You are not sure if the ghost can make good on his threats, but you are not insistent on trying either. Instead, you leave for the forest, in search of shelter.

It is a nice grove, filled mainly with oaks and beeches and the odd birch tree. Especially the oaks, seem ancient to you, overgrown with moss and surrounded by young saplings. To the east, it is bordered by a river, with you spotting a rather impressive bridge to the north, and what you think to be a township to the south. Wading across the currents, is not something you would like to try, especially as the other side of it is entwined by a stone-paved road - sure to bustle with people in the daytime.

Within the forest, there also exist the occasional colony of cherry and apple trees, though they felt odd under your gaze at first glance. Taking a closer look at some point, you find them to be slightly pruned - not as good as one would expect in an orchard, but someone has taken care of their growth.

Having spotted the first sign of this woods being well travelled, you discover a number of them - almost no rotting branches hint at them being collected for firewood. Even though it is spring, there are also far less leaves strewn on the ground than one would imagine, leaving you to deduce that much of it has been gathered as feed for livestock.

Having discovered just how close the forest is to civilization far too late, you have already searched it, and found two promising locations. During your wanderings, you also found a suitable sturdy branch - not a great weapon, but better than your bare hands.

A half-dead, holed out oak
The core of this grand ancient tree, seems to have long since rotted. It has formed what you would consider a natural cave, and would only need a token of work to spend you shadow for the day.

A toppled beach
Having fallen towards the south, the roots alone would give you an acceptable amount of shadow during the brightest hours. You still would need to build some sort of protection on the sides though.

Search elsewhere
While you have searched for over two hours, only to discover how often people come here, your night is only halfway over. If you want to try somewhere else, you guess further south-west, away from the capital in the north, or the presumed village in the south, would be the way to go

Wandering about, has also given you a feel for your, well, somewhat new body. Your discoveries are as follows;

Strength: 3+1
While you kept rather fit while alive, your strength has grown a fair bit since. Peculiar.

Agility: 3-2
You are, however, far less nimble than before. A bad trade-off, or so you find.

Constitution: 2x2, No regeneration
Being an undead, your body won't be worn down by exhaustion. Wounds, are another matter though.

Will: 4+4
Grudges are not to be trifled with, as your mind feels far stronger than ever before. At a price.

Intelligence: 4-1
Too much has fled your mind. Especially personal memories, are simply overshadowed by your grudge.

Charisma: 5-1, Halved for the living
Your voice and body have suffered much. The living won't be fooled as easily, as they would fear you instead.

(This, is slowly coming together. In a good way.

On that matter, I feel conflicted between making each frame last "too long" {The intro lasted for, what, a minute already?}, and making it almost too short to read. Any comments on the speed, would be very welcome. )
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6