Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Era of Mars [SG]  (Read 994 times)

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
Era of Mars [SG]
« on: November 04, 2015, 08:11:51 pm »

The first colony on mars has been set. Led by Elon Musk, a new sovereign nation, called Libertatem It quickly reached across Mars, and took over.

Control comes with a price, suddenly, and without warning, the country is attacked by rebels. It quickly splits into many countries. You lead one of these new countries. Will you lead it to prosper? Or run it into the ground.

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:17:27 pm by tntey »
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Nanobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Era of Mars [SG]
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:34:25 pm »

Name: The Node
Government Type: Authoritarian Technocracy
Traits:
Exocortexization - many Node citizens have the very mechanisms of their thoughts strung out across arrays of memory modules, processors, sensors and remote limbs that help them function optimally in the harsh environment of Mars.

Fragmentation - Node augmentations are flawed prototypes, loaded with their own array of bizarre, tragic consequences. Overclocking a human being has associated costs. Psychological instability and violent difficulty in interpersonal relationships boil over from natural failures in the primitive transhuman mental architecture.

Purification - the Node's powerful mix of electrochemical and heat-refining installations churn out ultrapure silicon, rare-earth metals and expensive alloys for special use. As a state, it is quickly able to exploit ores to their full metallurgical potential - but currently lacks the industrial might to get large quantities of any kind of bulk material.

Austerity - Noders do not crave luxury goods or engage in conspicuous consumption to the degree of other cultures. From the outside, they appear dour and puritanical - but a closer inspection would show that they live for more abstract pleasures.

Black Operations, Black Ships, Black Death - the cold technicians, comms analysts and spies of the Node are the backbone of this disturbing, insular backwater, a state based around leadership by unelected researchers and ruthless intelligence agents whose names are restricted from the general population. Paranoia, signal-jamming, light-bending metamaterials and radar-proofed lines warp the location of their bunkers and make them somewhat difficult to root out of the terrain. Their assassins and saboteurs are without peer. The computer viruses and hijacker-ware in their databanks seethes with awful E-warfare power - just waiting to dust a hab module with burning pesticide or seize a foreign drone for the Node's incomprehensible purposes.

Background: "IF I AM FOR YOU, WHO CAN BE AGAINST YOU? MARS IS NOT FOR THE REJECTS OF YESTERDAY. MARS WILL FORGE A NEW INDIVIDUAL. FROM NOW ON KNOW WE ARE CENTRAL HUMAN NODE. THE PARTY IS OF WORKERS WHO BATTLE EACH DAY WITH HAND AND BRAIN. WE LIVE IN THE SAVAGE PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE AMONG THE STARS. SWEAR TO COMMANDER, NODE AND BLOODLINE THAT YOU WILL UPHOLD THIS PREDATOR'S LIFE."
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:03:42 pm by Nanobones »

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:40:51 pm »

Umm. It's an SG. But if you really want to make it multiple players, I'll be cool with that.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Nanobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 10:00:20 pm »

Wow, I totally misread that. But my submission still stands.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 10:05:09 pm »

Wow, I totally misread that. But my submission still stands.
Wow. Super OP hive mind. Could you redo it so the traits talk About the nation? Also, the main race is humans. You can however research turning your people into a single hive mind.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 10:09:55 pm »

I vote multiple players!

Nation Sheet

Name: Argidad
Government Type: Fascism - subject to stretching
Traits:
Military culture (disciplined, efficient, hierarchical.)
Patriotic
Industrious
Weapons technology (Most of our research is initially designed with the military in mind. This easily adapts to non-military applications as well after the fact. All of our technology in general, but especially our military technology is a step up from the standard.)
Clandestine operations (the highest branch of the military is always feared and largely unknown. Rumors about them say they are anything from robotic to psychics to the remnants of the Spanish inquisition.)

Background: Formed out of the remaining military after the shatter of the main state, they seek to reclaim. They are defined mainly by the persisting military culture, and their ruthless efficiency. The funding that had gone in to military research has provided them with a technological edge. They remain completely united even after the shattering of the old state, and this unity shall propel them to victory and some day back to earth proper.
Color: maroon - green glow
---
Turn
Draft and train a standing force of infantry to defend the new nation.
Disseminate propaganda building on the natural sense of patriotism to develop a sense of "duty to the state"
Begin construction of the industrial sector or if I begin with an amount of industry, expand it.
Begin construction of the agricultural sector or if I begin with an amount of agriculture, expand it.

Research - automated industry

*Am i supposed to define what my traits do or do you get to decide that?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:48:16 am by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Nanobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 10:11:11 pm »

The traits as presented do discuss the nation. They would be humans with some near-future hardware, poor population growth and built-in societal problems from overuse of information tech - zero hive mind features whatsoever.

I also assumed all five traits were either supposed to be positives or a flaw thrown in for flavor.

Since you determine the initial allocation of resources, equipment and infrastructure, whether or not the subject of the SG is "OP" is your choice! Traits are more like vague suggestions to the GM for "this is what the colony could be described by", no?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:40:08 pm by Nanobones »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 11:39:02 pm »

Can we get a current map of mars, divided into territories so we can claim one?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.