Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legendary Gem Window as room improvement?  (Read 1412 times)

tadpole

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Legendary Gem Window as room improvement?
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:46:01 pm »

One of my dwarfs built a gem window as a legendary artifact. It has a quite high base value of 132000, so I replaced a wall separating two rooms of my queen with this window. But it seems that it hasn't any impact on the room quality.

Do walls and the windows and the like impact room quality? And if so, how (much)? Maybe the base value of the window is ignored for any weird reason?

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Gem Window as room improvement?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:48:10 pm »

Are you sure the room is covering the window? Windows should count for room value (and walls, though I think they have to be smoothed first not sure)

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:45:15 pm »

Does your room extend to actually cover the wall? Otherwise the wall isn't considered as part of the the room. Try redefining the size of the room to include the wall the window is in.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:17:59 pm »

Do Windows add value to both sides of a wall, or just one (like engravings)?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 10:28:29 pm »

Do Windows add value to both sides of a wall, or just one (like engravings)?
I would like to know this as well.  If the former, I will have to revisit my bedroom blueprints.  Glass still does not provide LoS though, right?

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:32:12 pm »

Glass does give LoS, at least in windows. I had a safe grazing pen set up with Fortifications protected by windows and my animals were freaking out at the zombies roaming around outside.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 11:23:04 pm »

Try re-designating the room.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 09:50:40 am »

Glass does give LoS, at least in windows. I had a safe grazing pen set up with Fortifications protected by windows and my animals were freaking out at the zombies roaming around outside.
No kidding? :o  So a glass Arena would allow my Dwarves to be horrified at the sight of death witness the glory of battle in relative safety?

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 11:33:19 am »

Walls do indeed count towards the value of a room.  However, I recently discovered that doors do not (unless they are set as internal).

Furthermore, my Queen recently demanded a steel door in her bedroom.  I replaced the door to the room with the new steel door, but her demand was not satisfied.  It wasn't until I built the door inside the actual room beside her bed that she felt satisfied.

It makes me wonder if windows work in the same or a similar way.  If that is the case, or if redesignating the room doesn't work, then you could build the artifact in the middle of her room as a kind of art display.

Artifact gem window... didn't even know that was possible.  Neat.  What gems is it made of?

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 11:38:02 am »

You must remove the window then resize the room so it overtakes that square, then place the window.  I suppose you could do this for multiple rooms though it would still cut the value in the normal way for overlapping rooms I believe.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »

You must remove the window then resize the room so it overtakes that square, then place the window.  I suppose you could do this for multiple rooms though it would still cut the value in the normal way for overlapping rooms I believe.

Wouldnt you then be penalized for it not being a proper room?  not fully enclosed in walls/doors or other things that cause a dark blue room definition outline?

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 01:23:10 pm »

Wouldnt you then be penalized for it not being a proper room?  not fully enclosed in walls/doors or other things that cause a dark blue room definition outline?

I didn't know that was a thing, from the wiki;

"This zone does not need to extend to the walls. It is well possible to define several such rooms in one actual enclosed space; they may even overlap, although this comes at a penalty to the room's value. "

I just put up a quick window to test and the area where the window is appears to be blue like the walls.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 01:29:36 pm »

Question: what was the room quality before the window was installed? Because if it was already "royal" (10000 dwarfbucks or more) then any further addition of value has no effect, except maybe for preventing jealousy.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 01:44:36 pm »

"This zone does not need to extend to the walls. It is well possible to define several such rooms in one actual enclosed space; they may even overlap, although this comes at a penalty to the room's value. "

I just put up a quick window to test and the area where the window is appears to be blue like the walls.

I thought that dwarfs got the "did not sleep in a proper room" thought if their room wasnt properly defined.  Maybe I just made that up and have been doing it wrong all these years.  Somehow I thought rooms were devalued if they didnt have a proper perimeter.

I'll probably continue to fixate on it anyway, just like I fixate on not allowing unsupported 7x7 open spaces...

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 01:51:34 pm »

I thought that dwarfs got the "did not sleep in a proper room" thought if their room wasnt properly defined.  Maybe I just made that up and have been doing it wrong all these years.  Somehow I thought rooms were devalued if they didnt have a proper perimeter.

after sleeping without a proper room = Was sleeping and couldn't find a bed designated as a bedroom not assigned to someone else.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Thought#Accommodations
Pages: [1] 2