Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Mission 25: Void  (Read 29092 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 25: Void
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2015, 05:44:27 am »

((To avoid future confusion, the colors correspond to the following teams:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:50:17 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2015, 06:43:04 am »

"Smooth but unsuspicious looking rock discovered. Take a closer look or keep moving, Miya?"

Unless ordered otherwise, take us in closer to the kidney bean, see if there's anything unusual about it otherwise. Slowly, of course.
((According to pw, we are too far apart somehow to be in contact. So we can't answer that untill we're sure where we are, sorry.))
((Wasn't the point of the buoy system to have a comms line everyone would (in theory) always be adjacent to? Or can we communicate across tiles ship to ship but have to be in the buoy line to use it?))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2015, 07:06:16 am »

"Smooth but unsuspicious looking rock discovered. Take a closer look or keep moving, Miya?"

Unless ordered otherwise, take us in closer to the kidney bean, see if there's anything unusual about it otherwise. Slowly, of course.
((According to pw, we are too far apart somehow to be in contact. So we can't answer that untill we're sure where we are, sorry.))
((Wasn't the point of the buoy system to have a comms line everyone would (in theory) always be adjacent to? Or can we communicate across tiles ship to ship but have to be in the buoy line to use it?))

((Yes, but we haven't deployed it yet, and can't until we're at a high enough speed, or else we'll just fall 'out of touch' with them (since, once deployed, a buoy can keep going straight but can't accelerate anymore) or be forced to keep going slowly. That's why the plan was to start deploying that buoy net once we're at 8 squares/turn, and then keep going at 8 a turn while deploying it so we could stay in touch. So we'd have a straight line of buoys, and any ship adjacent or in that line can stay in touch. But now the positions of teams blue and red are kinda off, so untill we're sure where we actually are, probably best not to assume we can talk. Does all that make sense?))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2015, 11:12:13 pm »

((Yes, but we haven't deployed it yet, and can't until we're at a high enough speed, or else we'll just fall 'out of touch' with them (since, once deployed, a buoy can keep going straight but can't accelerate anymore) or be forced to keep going slowly. That's why the plan was to start deploying that buoy net once we're at 8 squares/turn, and then keep going at 8 a turn while deploying it so we could stay in touch. So we'd have a straight line of buoys, and any ship adjacent or in that line can stay in touch. But now the positions of teams blue and red are kinda off, so untill we're sure where we actually are, probably best not to assume we can talk. Does all that make sense?))
((Not quite. Is the idea is for the buoys to keep moving with us on momentum? How do we get a line out of that, and won't it shoot past anyone stopping to explore anything?))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2015, 03:43:46 pm »

((Not quite. Is the idea is for the buoys to keep moving with us on momentum? How do we get a line out of that, and won't it shoot past anyone stopping to explore anything?))
((Yes, they move with us on momentum. Thing is, if we deploy them too soon (aka when our speed isn't very high), we are forced to either keep moving slowly and cover less ground, or speed up and go out of sync. But if we deploy them at max speed, any sort of hold-up also means desyncing irreparably. So, I figured we'd deploy them at 8/turn so that, when a ship needs to make a slight detour or slows down a bit to take readings, it can then catch up again, while still allowing us to cover enough ground to have a hope of finding our missing lemmings.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2015, 06:02:38 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to rig up a device to launch the buoys backwards quickly so we can have a slower moving buoy net but still travel fast. It would have to be pretty powerful cause spaceships go very fast. Hmm. Might have to make a general knowledge roll and see if there's anything that could be made to work in the cargo bay.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2015, 12:03:08 pm »

So I...don't have access to dropbox or my stuff for this right now...This is gonna make things a bit hard to be exact. Should we soldier on and just kinda fly by the seat of our pants?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2015, 01:57:28 pm »

Fly by the seat of Miya's pants, to be specific. They should be roomy enough and all. No comment on their deliciousness.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2015, 03:23:28 pm »

Fly by the seat of Miya's pants, to be specific. They should be roomy enough and all. No comment on their deliciousness.
... I prefer something a bit more chewy, but yes let's keep going
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:59:59 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2015, 05:45:04 pm »

Lets keep going.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2015, 08:22:18 am »

So I...don't have access to dropbox or my stuff for this right now...This is gonna make things a bit hard to be exact. Should we soldier on and just kinda fly by the seat of our pants?
I think continuing might be best, else we'll get too far behind the other missions. But only if you think you can manage it without your notes, of course. We could try to help out by keeping close track of the ship's locations on the wiki if that helps.

If you do wanna move on, my action remains:

This is where I have you with some delays for going around things.
The problem may stem from me counting movement in a different way than you, since diagonals on a square grid are a bit iffy.

(y'know pw, this is exactly why I proposed realigning the axis system so we wouldn't have to deal with diagonals and the like -.-
it's still not too late to switch.)

Either way, for a ship on the mainline, his coordinates should always be of the form (2a, a). So, since acceleration along each axis is measured independently, we should always be able to choose to end up at a coordinate like that. Green and blue have the same, but there you need to add or subtract 1 from the y value.

So now, last turn, red and blue were next to each other. 1 turn later, where each had equal speed and acceleration, red is much further ahead than blue even though red had to go around some things (remember red= team micropsia on both maps). So how is that possible? Shouldn't red be lagging behind on blue?

Also, on your map blue is at (12,5) and not (12,3) like you said. Maybe it was just a typo? It'd make more sense then (though still not completely).

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2015, 08:59:54 am »

I think continuing might be best, else we'll get too far behind the other missions. But only if you think you can manage it without your notes, of course. We could try to help out by keeping close track of the ship's locations on the wiki if that helps.

If you do wanna move on, my action remains:

The problem may stem from me counting movement in a different way than you, since diagonals on a square grid are a bit iffy.

(y'know pw, this is exactly why I proposed realigning the axis system so we wouldn't have to deal with diagonals and the like -.-

Either way, for a ship on the mainline, his coordinates should always be of the form (2a, a). So, since acceleration along each axis is measured independently, we should always be able to choose to end up at a coordinate like that. Green and blue have the same, but there you need to add or subtract 1 from the y value.

So now, last turn, red and blue were next to each other. 1 turn later, where each had equal speed and acceleration, red is much further ahead than blue even though red had to go around some things (remember red= team micropsia on both maps). So how is that possible? Shouldn't red be lagging behind on blue?

Also, on your map blue is at (12,5) and not (12,3) like you said. Maybe it was just a typo? It'd make more sense then (though still not completely).

If you can track your position, I can do the rest.

Now let me think...

You move in slowly closer to the kidney bean. As you do, sensors pick up a shift in its position. It begins to rotate along its axis, moving quite quickly actually. The gravity it puts out is higher than it should be, though it's still quite small, not even enough to be physically felt.

If you're gonna keep track of it, track however you'd like.

And fix them however you'd like. Doesn't matter as long as you can remember where you ran into things.

((Capgras is Blue Team, right? Since us not being Green Team let us dodge the radioactive space noodle, yes?))

"The trend of finding anomalous space garbage continues."

Keep an eye on the readouts. Anything... anomalous? Aside from the perceived smoothness, of course.
Not only is it rotating but it appears to be moving slightly. But the look of it, it looks as though the entire thing is moving into an orbiting path around the ship.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2015, 09:03:12 am »

"Looks like we are inadvertently capturing the kidney bean. This may turn out poorly for our survival."

Provided nobody overrules my infallible judgment, move the hell away from the bean and see if it stops following us.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2015, 10:16:50 am »

((So, would people be ok with me realigning the axis system as proposed before, and altering our coordinates accordingly? We basically put our start at (0,0) and the planet at (336,0) so we can nicely move along the x axis without worrying about diagonals. Keeping track of your position is as easy as incrementing your x axis value by your ship's speed that turn.

If no objections, I'll alter the wiki and comypaste the relevant info here.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2015, 10:43:10 am »

it's the right distance. the only problem is it means PW has to move all the objects on his map as well.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16