Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Farmer's quest [SG]  (Read 2728 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Farmer's quest [SG]
« on: November 01, 2015, 02:46:25 pm »

It had been a fateful evening. You’d just been quietly drinking in the inn, hoping for a meal that wasn’t turnips, when those madmen had come in. A pair of wood elves, a half orc, a pair of dragonborn and some kind of human monk. Adventurer types - just keep your neck out of their blade line and it’d all be fine, right?

Wrong. One of the dragonborn came up to you, brandishing what looked like a piece of coal. He spoke common like someone who had never heard it, yet you couldn’t help but feel compelled by his words. To be more precise - “Take this to the Deep Halls, and get good reward.”. You hesitated, and this was followed by the word “Please” - and a flame brandished under your chin, held on a claw.

With a gulp, you fled the tavern, and it was only once you were home at the farm that you noticed you were clutching the piece of coal. Regretfully you realised that probably meant you’d accepted - and thus it would be best not to be seen by them again. So you packed your meager possessions into a bag - a few days rations, a change of clothes, and that lump of coal - picked up your walking staff, and set out.

As you set out, you passed back through the village - Bree, your home - sticking to the shadows. You didn’t do the best job of it, given the familiar elf sitting outside the inn yelling “Good Luck” to you. Again, the strange compulsion set in, and you realised that if you were leaving, you may as well do the task at hand. ‘Good reward’ sounded good to you.

Spoiler: What the hell is this? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

The guard on the Eastern gate is Harold. He’s a volunteer - and your rival in the local turnip growing competition. And, in true volunteer style, he’s hiding behind the gate, out of the wind, with a pipe. You wouldn’t expect anything more from Harold.

Still, he could cause you some trouble, so you take stock of your attributes. You’re a human male called… well, no one outside Bree knows you, so you suppose you could choose whatever name you like. But more importantly, you always excelled at a pair of things - strength certainly was useful at farming, as was constitution. But your dexterity might have helped make a little extra coin from the others in the village, and your charisma would get you out of any trouble you got into. And still, intelligence and wisdom would have given you a one up over the other, less educated, farmers, with fancy fertilisers. Oh, but of course there was a pair you kind of sucked at. Shame about that.

Regardless, you feel Harold won’t let you past easily. What you need, is a plan.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Farmer's quest [SG]
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 03:52:51 pm »

Don't have time for a roper suggestion, but so much PTW.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 04:02:32 pm »

Henry Thornberry.

Not sure how to pick on stats but..

Primary stats should be strenght and constitution.

Weaker stats should be Intel and wisdon.

The rest are average.

PLAN: "Harold what did the pineapple say to the hare?" in a low voice.

EDIT: Then punch him in the face.

Make sure to have our face in some hood so he can't see us.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:53:27 pm by 3man75 »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 05:43:34 pm »

Yup, that's fine for stats :)

I'll see if anyone else chips in.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 05:47:05 pm »

Jimothy o' gadgeteer
Primary stats are intel and wisdom

We suck at strength and constitution

Our quote is

"Invention awaits!"
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 11:12:31 am »

((Going for the one with the action.))

Ah yes, Thornberry sounded good. the villagers had called you Bull, but damned if you were sticking to that. You’d always had a suspicion it had been an insult. Not that your intuition could figure out why - though Harold had definitely used it a few times over the years.

Bearing that in mind, you pull the hood of your travelling cloak over your face, and lurch up to Harold. He staggers to attention, nearly dropping the pipe, and yells in a thin, reedy voice

“Who goes there!?!?”

You pause a moment, before taking a step closer in silence.

“Hey, Harold, what did the pineapple say to the hare?” You whisper.

He looks confused for a moment, and in that moment you swing at him. His nose crunches beneath your fist - with a muffled ”Ouch” he collapses, unconscious.

“Heh. Wrong answer.” That was satisfying.

You step over his unconscious form with the coastal road before you. Thinking, you pull out your map, and after a moment turn it the right way up. Then you decide upon your next course of action - a route would probably be the best choice right now.

You could cut straight through the mountains - the trolls might think you’re one of them. On the other hand, if you followed the road round to the rivers you could get a boat upstream, and save the whole effort. And there are probably other options that don’t occur to you immediately - there usually are.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Sigtext

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 03:03:54 pm »

((Bump?))

Sigtext

Nunzillor

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 03:30:27 pm »

The mountains!  It is time to meet our troll folk kin!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 04:10:21 pm »

Mountains are hard. Let's saunter down the road in the general direction of our quest. Maybe we'll find some non-adventureer companions at the inn farmer's market in the next town. Look specifically for a fishwife, an urchin, and a common drunk. Oh, and a stray cat.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 05:31:19 pm »

The mountains!  It is time to meet our troll folk kin!

+1! Trolls will make very good adventuring companions.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 09:42:34 pm »

Boats sound good... but, well, To the mountains!

Also, watch as we get to our destination and the adventurers are sitting there.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 03:52:52 pm »

You head north, veering off the road into the foothills. A few thin trees dot the landscape, leaving a cold, lifeless impression. At around midday, however, you become aware you are being watched - it could be the trees, it could be the rocks - you can trust nothing.

The feeling continues for the better part of the day, and grows to a peak as you start snapping branches off the trees to make a fire. The trees, strangely, seem to bleed, though you don’t see any reason they shouldn’t. A short while later, though, even you realise something isn’t right, as you look up to find your camp surrounded by the trees.

Sigtext

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 04:07:48 pm »

The trees are alive. You know what that means? It means we can beat trees to death with their comrades.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 07:35:32 pm »

We trust nothing, and suspect the trees and the rocks, but still start yanking limbs off the trees without thought? Living trees, mind you, not the dead ones that are likely to burn. We grabbed green wood instead of picking dead shit up off the ground, like any farmer with two synapses to spark together would have done. We're the most city farmer ever.

Coal burns. Burn coal.

Nunzillor

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 07:40:39 pm »

"Greetings, my fine rooted fellows!  If I have committed a transgression in some way, I can assure you it was completely unintentional.  How can I make it up to you in a way that would leave us all satisfied?  Perhaps our relations can turn over a new leaf?"

Pun at them.  Prepare for the ensuing assault.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:33:44 pm by Nunzillor »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4