Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Thoughts on Transhumanism  (Read 22051 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Transhumanism
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:54:33 pm »

If pieces of technology were developed to augment sight, strength, speed, lifespan, and the such, would you utilize them, and, if so, to what degree?  By augments, I am referring to stuff such as the mechanical augmentations as seen in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, or biological augmentations such as Meld from Enemy Within or adding in additional organs that may or may not naturally occur within the body, or within nature in general.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:32:39 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Curious...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 06:58:02 pm »

Sure I would, I would then get a copy uploaded into a new organic brain, while the digital version gets uploaded to play minecraft forever (sucker)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 07:10:37 pm »

Sure I would, I would then get a copy uploaded into a new organic brain, while the digital version gets uploaded to play minecraft forever (sucker)

Let's assume the process is single-directional.  There might be a portable unit device that you could have yourself uploaded into which could allow control of a body (artificial or, potentially, biological with exception to the brain unit), but you cannot return to a biological brain.  One other thing as well, even a digital copy of yourself should be assumed to take an extremely long period of time to gain as space will be needed for the newly uploaded.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 07:13:55 pm »

I'd do it right away.  Digital is a much better way to preserve my brain, because then I can make copies. 

I mean, you'd hate to leave it for a while and then accidentally have your head eaten by a bear or something.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 07:14:34 pm »

Yes. Yes. Yes. Look at the h+ in my sig. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Yes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 07:16:05 pm »

Provided I can afford a good quality, physically tough, and malware-safe casing/computer/whathaveyou? Sure. I'm not really attached to this weird blobby flesh-sac anyway.
Plus, I could make backups of myself. And maybe talk to myself from an hour ago or just watch the years pass by. It'd be interesting.

Semi-unrelated side note, I've always kinda wanted to have a virtual farm, of sorts. Just watching different NNs compete and grow and change to adapt to their environment. Kinda like people-watching, but more... whole, in a way. Just watch something grow and develop. Just reminded me because it's something that actually could happen if this (the whole brain-uploady-thingy) came to occur.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:18:41 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 07:40:35 pm »

I'd take advantage of such technology as soon as I could afford it, provided that I didn't lose all ability to interact with the physical world. If I just became a digital ghost lost in a computer system forever I would probably pass.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 07:51:06 pm »

It really depends on what kind of existence the digitised would have. There is lots to like about being biological so being digital would have to offer more than longevity to tempt.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 08:05:24 pm »

I wouldn't do it; not worth it to lose all interaction with the physical world

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 08:08:19 pm »

You guys are all aware that this would kill you, right?  Your "consciousness" is an emergent property of the physical and chemical organization of your neurons, it's probably possible to replicate this organization digitally but there's no reason to think that doing so would transfer whatever you think "you" are over.
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 08:09:44 pm »

You guys are all aware that this would kill you, right?  Your "consciousness" is an emergent property of the physical and chemical organization of your neurons, it's probably possible to replicate this organization digitally but there's no reason to think that doing so would transfer whatever you think "you" are over.
So a bit like reincarnation then

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 08:10:57 pm »

Considering that the OP includes statements like "uploading of your consciousness" and "proven to work", I think we can safely ignore that little obstacle. Especially since this is all hypothetical unless Zan is about to unveil some sort of secret project.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 08:13:25 pm »

Nope.  Absolutely not.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 08:16:09 pm »

Possibly, it'd certainly depend a lot on all the variables that other people have mentioned.

I would not be morally opposed to it, certainly. Make me into a super-tank and make other people do the pmcs on it, heck yeah.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 08:16:34 pm »

As people said, it would depend on the type of life that digitized people have. And I don't think I'd want to be an early adopter... Well, I wouldn't turn it down if asked I guess.

I mean, to me honestly the question of "Is it me" Is pretty meaningless. I already ignore so many questions like that for the sake of sanity anyway, one more isn't going to hurt.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24