Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

See Episode 11, Which contract should we take?

Contract 1, FedCom Extraction Raid
- 4 (100%)
Contract 2, Outworlds Alliance Recon Raid
- 0 (0%)
Contract 3, FedCom Recon Raid #1
- 0 (0%)
Contract 4, FedCom Recon Raid #2
- 0 (0%)
None of the above - wait a month and try again (please post to specify acceptable contract criteria)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40

Author Topic: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)  (Read 73992 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)
« Reply #240 on: November 28, 2015, 01:06:25 pm »

You don't want all of your techs to be elite, otherwise whenever a single tech fails something it's unrecoverable and has to be completely replaced, whereas if a green tech fails a regular one can try, and so on. Of course, having the XP available so that if your elite techs decide to retire you can replace them easily is also helpful.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #241 on: November 28, 2015, 02:25:30 pm »

Zhou's Scout Lance is getting backup, and the enemy is focused on running, so hopefully it won't go too badly. Still, those Pegasus' can ruin someone's day if they get lucky with those SRM packs.

KICK ALL THE THINGS!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 28, 2015, 03:04:44 pm »

Administrator: that's true, we can game the Administrator thing, but I'm not spending precious, precious XP on our mechs or techs on Administrator duties until they're elite-skilled. :P

You don't have to spend XP!  The basic Administrator skill, enough to be an Administrator, is FREE.  FREE

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 28, 2015, 07:24:57 pm »

You can also give all the admins another admin job as a secondary occupation. A bit less cheasy and they actually have the skill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 28, 2015, 10:25:48 pm »

You don't want all of your techs to be elite, otherwise whenever a single tech fails something it's unrecoverable and has to be completely replaced, whereas if a green tech fails a regular one can try, and so on. Of course, having the XP available so that if your elite techs decide to retire you can replace them easily is also helpful.

It is one of the weirder gamey aspects of this.

You would think that MAYBE a Tech would be able to roll the lower level and keep working on it until the elite roll and the reason multiple techies are needed is because it is a lot of work.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 28, 2015, 10:30:04 pm »

You can also give all the admins another admin job as a secondary occupation. A bit less cheasy and they actually have the skill.

Does that allow one Admin to count as two?

Honestly, I don't think it is cheesy to create an admin without spending points because you'll notice under Interstellar rating that the number of admins needed is the exact same as the number of tech teams you have.  They're basically support to the teams and don't need any actual skills.  And honestly, you only NEED four skilled admins: The rest are just demands under Interstellar for excess baggage, which I've no problems solving as easily as possible.  It's not like my new Admins are free: Their new Admin job costs me more in salary.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 28, 2015, 10:45:42 pm »

Though honestly it isn't like Salary is all that demanding for these guys. The bigger barrier of entry is mostly that it can be tough to find a good enough administrator, doctor, or the like.

Which makes sense, because Mechs are not cheap and the price to make even a light mech could allow someone to live comfortable for their entire lives.

Heck if we sold off all our mechs, paid back the debt, and stuff... all the pilots could retire right now.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 28, 2015, 11:08:34 pm »

Though honestly it isn't like Salary is all that demanding for these guys. The bigger barrier of entry is mostly that it can be tough to find a good enough administrator, doctor, or the like.

Which makes sense, because Mechs are not cheap and the price to make even a light mech could allow someone to live comfortable for their entire lives.

Heck if we sold off all our mechs, paid back the debt, and stuff... all the pilots could retire right now.

Now that is an idea for a campaign!  Company Revival campaign: What a company does after selling all it assets and everyone retires.
You probably think I'm joking.  I'm not.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2015, 06:01:04 am »

Does that allow one Admin to count as two?

Honestly, I don't think it is cheesy to create an admin without spending points because you'll notice under Interstellar rating that the number of admins needed is the exact same as the number of tech teams you have.  They're basically support to the teams and don't need any actual skills.  And honestly, you only NEED four skilled admins: The rest are just demands under Interstellar for excess baggage, which I've no problems solving as easily as possible.  It's not like my new Admins are free: Their new Admin job costs me more in salary.

From a personal level, I'm against it out of some sort of stubborn insistence about following the rules 'correctly', until they reach some undefined level of being too silly.

From a character level, Han Zoku is going to look at your proposal and agree that it's the most funny way of gaming the bureaucratic system. Double-administrators don't count, sadly. I tried that first. :P

Oh, and we're going to draw lots on who gets the extra salary.  :D

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2015, 08:28:15 am »

But double admins can give you more leeway when it comes to buying stuff in bulk. If you give the non logistics that as their 2nd job.
It is a bit silly sometimes, that you can only ever request one magazine full of ammo or 5t of armor. There might be more where that comes from, maybe that guy sells 10 or 20 rounds of AC/20 ammo, not just 5? And maybe that other guy who has a scrapyard for military vees has a larger stock of armor?

Edit:
Something that I couldn't figure out so far is the rating of the enemies. The first part is their experience, that one is easy. The other one is their equipment, and here I am not sure if A is the best, as with your Company under Dragoons rating, or if F is the best, as with other stuff, like the quality of the Mechs.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:39:56 pm by Rince Wind »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 01, 2015, 02:44:49 pm »

But double admins can give you more leeway when it comes to buying stuff in bulk. If you give the non logistics that as their 2nd job.
It is a bit silly sometimes, that you can only ever request one magazine full of ammo or 5t of armor. There might be more where that comes from, maybe that guy sells 10 or 20 rounds of AC/20 ammo, not just 5? And maybe that other guy who has a scrapyard for military vees has a larger stock of armor?

Edit:
Something that I couldn't figure out so far is the rating of the enemies. The first part is their experience, that one is easy. The other one is their equipment, and here I am not sure if A is the best, as with your Company under Dragoons rating, or if F is the best, as with other stuff, like the quality of the Mechs.

A is best.  And that is why I reverse quality ratings so that A is still best.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #251 on: December 01, 2015, 03:00:13 pm »

Found that option recently. The world makes so much more sense now!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2015, 03:14:41 pm »

Then why do those C-rated St. Ives guys only  field medium vehicles when they attack our base (and some light mechs and a Hunchback). :( My assault lance is there to welcome them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2015, 04:16:53 pm »

Then why do those C-rated St. Ives guys only  field medium vehicles when they attack our base (and some light mechs and a Hunchback). :( My assault lance is there to welcome them.

Because they're from St. Ives?
I usually enable Regional Force Variation, so its a valid explanation in my game.  Base defense is also screwy.

...Why yes, I do just select Manual->Victory when faced with a Base Defense Mission.  After all, there is no real threat of losing (in my untested mind) but it would take forever.  Plus, I see it as giving up good amounts of salvage for convenience, a trade-off that seems fair.

I would likely play a Base Defense if the enemy force was actually a threat to the base defenders + me.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2015, 04:26:40 pm »

Some missions I just delete. And the last base attack (attacker) was even fun, because my ComStar allies did not stay put at the starting location and even put their SRM and LRM carriers to good use and robbed me of quite a few kills. Neither of us lost anything. The one before that the allied AI sent 2 of its tanks into the fight, the rest just stayed where they deployed. I had to face about double my BV. I gave up and transferred control of the allies to me. Still lost some mechs, but won.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40