Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not hauling stone from one stockpile to another  (Read 2534 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not hauling stone from one stockpile to another
« on: October 27, 2015, 05:22:15 pm »

I am trying to clear stone out of an all purpose stockpile and have done this so far.

1) made another stockpile just for stone
2) disabled stone in the original stockpile
3) set each stockpile to 3 wheelbarrows and build the wheelbarrows needed.
4) set the original stockpile to give to the new stockpile.

Things to note: Stone stockpile is outside, I have a burrow set for only the inside. I am confident that these are not factors though as they have no problem hauling stone laying on the floor outside to the stockpile.

So yeah, I have no idea what is wrong. Help.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not hauling stone from one stockpile to another
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 02:23:42 am »

You have little use for wheelbarrows in the old stockpile if it shouldn't contain stone, since the inter stockpile hauling is done based on the receiving stockpile. The wheelbarrow assignment restricts the number of hauling jobs TO the old stockpile (and makes it easier to haul heavy stuff).

The receiving stockpile is limited to 3 hauling jobs by the wheelbarrows. Unless you have set it up to take from links only, that hauling is free to pick up any stone anywhere, not just the giving stockpile. With links only you make sure all the jobs are to move from pile A to pile B. You can change the settings when the transfer is done, if desired.

Is there a free path between the stockpiles?

You said you have a burrows. Is that active or inactive, and is it a civilian alert one or specific to some dwarves only?

Do you have free haulers to perform the jobs, so you're not just starved for dwarfpower?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 07:52:12 am »

I'd just like to add a quick note that since you added a link to make the first stockpile give to the second, it shouldn't matter whether you disabled stone in the first stockpile or not. #4 makes #2 unnecessary afaik, in other words.

Wheelbarrows limiting the amount of hauling jobs that stockpile can generate is a good point. You mentioned that you built some wheelbarrows, did they already get delivered to the destination stockpile?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 08:05:49 am »

I have to disagree with Snaake. I believe hauling to the first stockpile is independent of hauling to the second one, so unless you disable hauling to the first one they will still haul more stone there to fill it up. Also, even if I'm wrong and there is some magic rerouting going on, the first stockpile would definitely keep getting stones once the second one got filled up.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:15:53 am »

Here's the thing, though, as far as I know: once stone is forbidden from the first stockpile, then the stones are no longer part of its contents -- they occupy its tiles incidentally.  The same way if you set up a non-stone stockpile in a freshly mined room, the stones that are lying there from digging aren't considered stockpiled there.  Unless the second stockpile is set to take from links only, then dwarves should still haul the stone to it -- but it's redundant.

One other thing to consider is whether you have accidentally turned off stone hauling in the standing orders menu.  (o)/(s)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:38:14 am »

You have little use for wheelbarrows in the old stockpile if it shouldn't contain stone, since the inter stockpile hauling is done based on the receiving stockpile. The wheelbarrow assignment restricts the number of hauling jobs TO the old stockpile (and makes it easier to haul heavy stuff).

The receiving stockpile is limited to 3 hauling jobs by the wheelbarrows. Unless you have set it up to take from links only, that hauling is free to pick up any stone anywhere, not just the giving stockpile. With links only you make sure all the jobs are to move from pile A to pile B. You can change the settings when the transfer is done, if desired.

Is there a free path between the stockpiles?

You said you have a burrows. Is that active or inactive, and is it a civilian alert one or specific to some dwarves only?

Do you have free haulers to perform the jobs, so you're not just starved for dwarfpower?
There is a free path, the burrows is civilian alert and inactive, and yes I have dwarves free.

I only linked the stockpiles after I had wheelbarrows sitting in the stone stockpile unused. Even now that outdoor stockpile is still only halfway full while my new indoor one is already full. I still have no idea what was restricting stone tot he outside. It was definitely allowed as sometimes they would haul it outside, it was/is just rare.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:44:59 pm »

One other thing to consider is whether you have accidentally turned off stone hauling in the standing orders menu.  (o)/(s)

^^^ Did you check this ^^^
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 01:38:18 pm »

You're right, Kneenibble. That also means the only way to selectively get stones from the outer to the inner stockpile is to set both the outer and the inner one to take from links only and add a feeder stockpile to the outer one for the (now) desired stuff, and only remove stone as parts of the outer one's contents after all stone has been removed (at that time the outer stockpile can be set back to take from anywhere and its feeder stockpile be set to take from links only until it's drained, at which time it can be removed).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 11:22:45 pm »

^^^ Did you check this ^^^

Thought that was clear that I did considering that I already said multiple times that they were already moving stone both inside and out.

You're right, Kneenibble. That also means the only way to selectively get stones from the outer to the inner stockpile is to set both the outer and the inner one to take from links only and add a feeder stockpile to the outer one for the (now) desired stuff, and only remove stone as parts of the outer one's contents after all stone has been removed (at that time the outer stockpile can be set back to take from anywhere and its feeder stockpile be set to take from links only until it's drained, at which time it can be removed).
Ok, so linking was pointless, still doesn't explain who my dwarves are so reluctant to move stone outside.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 06:17:28 am »

Its probably a distance thing. Stones inside are closer to the new pile, stones outside in pile are farther.
forbid all inside stones.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 06:22:41 am »

Its probably a distance thing. Stones inside are closer to the new pile, stones outside in pile are farther.
forbid all inside stones.

Goatmaan

I would love if that is it, but the new stockpile got full, and all the dwarves are without jobs and nothing is getting moved to the outside stockpile. I dump a bunch of stone from the inside stockpile and it fills up almost immediately.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 07:17:36 am »

Id double check its setiings, maybe delete and remake it.
And where are the stones coming from for the one that's being filled?

I'm currently thinning my stone stocks down, and found that a full stockpile far away will be ignored, (I don't usually link piles together. Just pile to workshop.)
My solution has been to delete the far/full pile.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.