Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Been away from DF for a while. How well does 2014 run these days?  (Read 2057 times)

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Been away from DF for a while. How well does 2014 run these days?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 05:27:30 pm »

Do fortresses experience proper sieges now?
I miss the old sieges too.

I'm in much the same boat: Played a decent amount a number of years ago, and am getting the itch to try another fortress. As such, I'm just catching up. For the sake of clarity, can someone confirm: Is the problem simply that the sieges are piddling now that they are drawn from goblin populations out in the world?

Another related question: Do escaping enemies now re-add themselves to the global population? I seem to recall that this was not the case back in 0.34, but from the sound of it, but if they now rejoin the global pops, would it make sense to do a catch-and-release goblinite harvesting operation now?

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 02:07:44 am »

@Blue_J

it seems to be at least that's what peoples are saying to me I am in the same boat as you.
I just started an embark where my main target is actually not the best embark possible but just a decent one but one that is extremely close to a healthy goblin population.
Hopefully it works and if it doesn't I will try another embark until I actually get sieges.
Peoples have experienced them so it should still be possible.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 10:17:21 pm »

FPS-wise, I haven't noticed a huge difference. Multi-level trees are great to look at; the new plants still have some issues (mainly with dwarves collecting parts they can't actually use without Modest Mod,) but have a lot of potential. Expanded dwarven personalities are fun, though unfortunately they're also Fun once you have to start disposing of corpses.

Not that I've seen a lot of those. I do miss sieges, so I might switch back to 34.11 for now... shame I can't use TWBT with it as far as I know.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 11:24:16 pm »

What is TWBT?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 11:49:15 pm »

What is TWBT?

Text Will Be Text. Makes stuff look less ACSII-like - Swords look like swords and ammo looks like ammo instead of "/"'s and clothes/armor looks like what it represents instead of "]"'s. Stuff like that.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 12:41:27 am »

What is TWBT?
Text Will Be Text. Makes stuff look less ACSII-like - Swords look like swords and ammo looks like ammo instead of "/"'s and clothes/armor looks like what it represents instead of "]"'s. Stuff like that.
That describes graphic tilesets. The difference is it does so without affecting the text or things with the same symbol.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 03:53:23 am »

What is TWBT?
That describes graphic tilesets. The difference is it does so without affecting the text or things with the same symbol.

Aaah, thanks for the clarification!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 09:13:13 am »

Aaah, thanks for the clarification!
I forgot to mention there's also a feature that lets you see several z-levels at a time where open space exists.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]