Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Reign of Rot-Day 1 (Game Thread)  (Read 10753 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Reign of Rot-Day 1 (Game Thread)
« on: October 23, 2015, 11:02:48 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=153669.0 <--OOC Thread

The air is so much cleaner, now.

There aren't enough people left to dirty it up again. The great machines of society have stopped, the grand mechanisms of industry and economy coming to a shuddering halt. Nature is slowly inching back from the brink-even now, the great Whales are beginning to repopulate the seas...the Timber Wolves howl and prey once more in the hills of places once known as 'Wisconsin' and 'Minnesota'...the former United States is becoming the wild, dangerous, untamed place it was once, and perhaps always was-and now, it will be again. The Rotters don't care about animals. One of those odd things. They usually ignore them, though Rotter Animals are not unheard of...

This probably matters little to the subjects of our story-a small band of tempest tossed men and women who have survived, despite all that has been thrown against them until now. Most of them can't remember a time when they ever felt safe. There had always been the War. Tarrak vessels, shaped like the blades they were named for, streaking from the sky...sowing death and destruction...Tarraks Ground Troops-looking so much like us-dropping down in the millions...their massive war machines still little the world, like so many crushed metal insects...one wonders if the victory was worth the cost. Or if we truly did win, or merely enter another phase of the invasion...

Our small group is currently fleeing-that's the best word-South, to avoid the chill in the wind that preludes a long and harsh Winter. They were safe enough in the former Canadian Provinces, for a time. Rotters are not entirely fond of cold, and it makes them sluggish and easy to avoid. The same cold would have killed them all, perhaps-this group decided to move on, looking for warmer climates-it was an unspoken agreement that the party had become too large-too many mouths to feed, especially over Winter. So, some stayed. Others followed, and died-bandits, wild animals, rotters...vehicles broke down and were abandoned with a casual regularity. Nothing lasts long out here. You are thankful for what you have, and don't dare hope for more.

There are only seven left, now, on foot. They are desperate for shelter. Their supplies are thin. There's not going to be a return trip. Even if they could make it back, those they left may not let them in.

They've been walking quite a long time, but civilization-as it is-its getting closer. Empty gas stations and fast food kiosks, most already being reclaimed by the forests, are more abundant. Mostly empty, of course. It's hard to find anything these days that hasn't been picked over a half dozen times-and if it's not been scavenged, there's usually a good reason...

The cracked cement road they're walking on is in poor shape-it's likely in a few years, the cracks will become gaps, then giant fissures that will make wheeled travel an impossibility. Back to riding horses. A thought for the future, but for now...there's a sign.

A big one, placed at a seemingly arbitrary point on the side of the road.

The group pauses momentarily, taking in the stamped yellow metal, the words and the rude red spray paint someone defaced it with, perhaps leaving behind a warning, or baiting a trap-perhaps a crazed vandal sought to portray his thoughts. It's not like it comes as any sort of surprise.

Spoiler: The Sign (click to show/hide)

The chickadees still twitter in the alder trees. There's not outward sign of any threat. The road goes on, if they want to take it.

As with most groups of survivors, the seven of them can't be said to fit perfectly together. They couldn't differ more-but, it's that exact reason that makes them stronger, than any one of them would be alone.

Jason Lane-a nondescript, every day guy. He's past the point of fearing death...but, not past the point where he won't fight it till his last breath. Solid as a rock, you might call him-his presence is stabilizing force among the Survivors. Unselfish, he spurns his own needs for others on his best days. A voice of calm and reason in a world gone mad...and, pretty good with a machete, when it comes down to it.

The one known only as 273. His build is rough, rocky-like a mountain that learned to walk. Armed with a well used pipe and seemingly able to endure any hardship. He revels in his newfound liberty, trying not to think of who might be looking for him, even now, what they might do if they take him back. He treasures every breath of air. Every bit of food. He has lived in a prison, of a world gone to Rot. Right now, he's never felt more alive...and free.

Gianna Piagratolli. Young in a world where you have to grow up fast-a girl clinging to her youth like a flotation device in a stormy sea. Part of her doesn't want go grow up, doesn't want to face this world-a life, in this world. The rest of her remembers who died to keep her alive, and tries to be strong, to be brave. Even if her only chances of survival are a bit of luck and how well she uses her wits. She still wields her hockey stick with the same grace she used to smack pucks in the Ice Vault Arena. Not more than a few times, was she glad she was born with an athletic streak.

Martin Bryant, better known was 'Doc'. A compassionate, intellectual man. He doesn't belong here. Part of him knows that people like him were supposed to die. His mind was to be extinguished, like so many others. But he did survive. The same hands that learned to save lives learned to wield a gun with brutal, clinical efficiency. He doesn't have many patients anymore...but, Martin Bryant still remembers who is, and what he does. He saves lives. As many as he can.

Johnson Holliday. A Lawman in a world with no laws to enforce. His eyes are usually haunted with the memories of those he failed to save, though never to the extent it clouds his vision. Slung over his shoulder is a weapon truly ancient in comparison-in a time where men could use pinpoint energy weapons and rail guns, such a primitive firearm best belonged in a museum...but in these times, it's solid dependability is a boon. It's weight and grip are a comfort to him. To remind him of his duty...which he feels he has failed, so many times, and so often. To protect and serve. These few lines often come to him, keeping him from despair. Even if he doesn't always live up, to his own ideals...

Ebony. When did the cliche become something more? When did the fashions of the Gothic subculture become something that resonated in the living world? The Dark Bards of the Wastelands. The Sirens of the Apocalypse. Ebony has embraced this-a woman with no past and an uncertain future-and become a symbol of something dark, moody, and mysterious...in a world of walking corpses, she seems something of a natural fit...her Katana, produced from old truck springs in a Chinese factory, cuts as well as any folded steel from the lost island of Japan. She keeps it carefully hidden, for to draw such a weapon requires the shedding of blood...

Harriet Frey. Another wanderer, cast adrift. She's had to learn how to live without the comfort of a roof. Or friends. Or family. Harriet has learned to do without a good deal of most things, and learning to live without has sharpened her senses, and honed her mind. Hunger has turned her into something else entirely, than who she was-true hunger, something she had never felt before the fall. Her heavy crowbar seems almost misplaced in her scrawny hands, but she has learned to use it...and done many things she's not proud of, to survive-and to help others survive. She has seen the best and worst of humanity, and put herself on the side of 'doing the right thing'-the hard thing. She knows enough that this ideal will lead to her own death...and, perhaps, accepts that.

Spoiler: The Main Cast (click to show/hide)

And this, is their story.

Spoiler: Group Status (click to show/hide)
Survivors
Spoiler: Jason Lane (Glacies) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Number 273 (kj1225) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:30:18 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Reign of Rot-Day 1 (Game Thread)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 11:39:11 am »

237 tilts his head at the grafitti. He scratches and itch with his pipe as he read out loud.
¨Go dead, here away?¨

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 11:46:32 am »

((GOAL: L DEAD. Near away))

"Na, it says 'Go All Dead, Me Are Away'. Whoever wrote this hasn't kept their sanity well. I think there tryin' to tell the Rotters to get lost."

Holiday examines the surroundings for any sign of movement, scanning the world around him with his eyes. Traps like this aren't uncommon now a days, getting everyone focused on one object lets raiders take you by surprise.

"Best to avoid 'em best we can."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 12:00:05 pm »

Doc sniffs and checks his long dead watch.

I believe it is meant to say "Go away, all dead here", though evidently they failed to note that if everyone was dead, no-one could make the sign.

Regardless, if whoever made the sign is still here, I doubt they will want company. If we intend to continue in here, we had better be careful.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 02:26:15 pm »

"They could have wrote it while they were running away or something. But that means they left in a hurry, so there might still be supplies."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 03:01:44 pm »

Doc sniffs and checks his long dead watch.

I believe it is meant to say "Go away, all dead here", though evidently they failed to note that if everyone was dead, no-one could make the sign.

Regardless, if whoever made the sign is still here, I doubt they will want company. If we intend to continue in here, we had better be careful.

"The dead can walk, the dead can socialize with each other, and the dead can kill. At this point I wouldn't put to much a limit on what the dead are capable of. Whatever the sign says, all it is is proof grammar died in the apocalypse. Literacy's probably next, shoulda drawn a picture if the wanted to leave a lasting message "

Holiday looks closer at the sign, the non-painted letters.

"Looks like there is a town up ahead...and the sea. Sea's got plenty of fish in it still, don't it? And the town's not that big. Good place to get food, maybe a warm place to stay for a bit while we stock up on supplies. Maybe even a boat, though I don't think that's a great idea seein' how you guys treat your vehicals. Not like we can turn back either. Lets just send someone ahead to scout the place out, the rest of us can take a break here for a bit."

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 03:09:57 pm »

Jason rummages around in his pack, doesn't find what he's looking for, sighs quietly, and nods at Holiday.

"Who do you think should go?"

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 03:36:51 pm »

Jason rummages around in his pack, doesn't find what he's looking for, sighs quietly, and nods at Holiday.

"Who do you think should go?"

"Not much more dangerous then stayin' here, we could take volunteers for this course of action if we went for it. If I had to choose them myself, I'd pick Gianna an' Harriet. Gianna can hide if somethin' goes wrong, and Harriet is good at noticing if things are going to go wrong before they do. They'd make a great scout team."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 03:54:43 pm »

Doc shakes his head.

We are a small enough group that we should be able to avoid attention. I do not believe there is need to risk any of our number by splitting up at this time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 04:01:02 pm »

"I say me Harriet scout it out. And by say, I mean I'm going to go and scout and you guys can continue arguing."
273 says walking towards the town with purpose.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 04:02:14 pm »

"Uh... ok?" Harriet says, following 273.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 04:04:47 pm »

"I say me Harriet scout it out. And by say, I mean I'm going to go and scout and you guys can continue arguing."

Doc sighs quietly and mutters

I think you and I will become quite acquainted if this keeps up... Be careful, you two.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 04:22:10 pm »

Doc shakes his head.

We are a small enough group that we should be able to avoid attention. I do not believe there is need to risk any of our number by splitting up at this time.

"Its big enough to get plenty of attention, and if it really is a risk then it would be risking all of us. They get into trouble, they leave at the first sign, come running back here and we all leave to somewhere else. If we all went, we couldn't run or hide as effectively. Sure we could fight, but eight of us against whatever numbers means someone would die."

Holiday tips his hat as they leave.

"Good luck. Try to be back by sundown, if ya can manage it."

Doc sighs quietly and mutters

I think you and I will become quite acquainted if this keeps up... Be careful, you two.

"Don' worry about them, Doc. They handled themselves before finding the group just fine. Dead or undead, nothin's gonna kill em."

Holiday then looks toward the nearby trees.

"An' as for us, it looks like a fire and sounds like dinner to me. Probably don' wanna give away our position with the smoke, but it can't hurt to get one ready. We probably got time to do it the really-really old fashioned way, too. Rubbing two sticks together would save a match..."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 04:57:43 pm »

"Its big enough to get plenty of attention, and if it really is a risk then it would be risking all of us. They get into trouble, they leave at the first sign, come running back here and we all leave to somewhere else. If we all went, we couldn't run or hide as effectively. Sure we could fight, but eight of us against whatever numbers means someone would die."

I disagree, but it appears that is moot now. Doc shrugs.

"Don' worry about them, Doc. They handled themselves before finding the group just fine. Dead or undead, nothin's gonna kill em."

Of course, but that does not mean they will completely avoid getting injured. Our supplies are running low, and they deserve the best treatment should they get hurt. I am not sure they can get with what we have.

Holiday then looks toward the nearby trees.

"An' as for us, it looks like a fire and sounds like dinner to me. Probably don' wanna give away our position with the smoke, but it can't hurt to get one ready. We probably got time to do it the really-really old fashioned way, too. Rubbing two sticks together would save a match..."

Doc glances around, looking for places people other than themselves could hide.

At least we can give them something to look forward to when they return. Do we have anything appetising on the menu?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 05:21:18 pm »

"We can make do. Anyway, chickadees aren't much for eating, but they mean somethin's living in the forest. Our buddies would probably appreciate it if we don't go around blasting the wildlife, but we can probably get a somethin' worth eating. 'Specially this close to the coast. We probably have some time, there in no hurry. We can set up squirrel or rabbit traps for meat. While those are waiting we can pick some other edibles, barriers an' eggs and whatever other edible plant we can find. Its an all-you-can-catch buffet, Doc. Worst comes to worst, we gnaw on twigs and dandelions."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8