Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 96

Author Topic: Might and Fealty (Beyond Battlemaster: Sandbox Strategy-RPG Medieval RP)  (Read 136355 times)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
Re: Might and Fealty (Beyond Battlemaster: Sandbox Strategy-RPG Medieval RP)
« Reply #1350 on: December 29, 2018, 07:30:22 pm »

Sup Coleslaw

yo wassup homie

You're invited to help me make my dream come true and reestablish the kingdom of Armok, for glory and death

lel good luck with that.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1351 on: December 30, 2018, 04:08:18 am »

Yeah... after probing here and there, roleplay seems dead and under lockdown by a little number of people. Dev is cool, system is interesting, but the community sounds retracted on itself and after reflexion I'm not sure I want to engage people permaset into passive aggression mode.

Owell. Ill try a couple things and probably jump ship afterward
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:29:37 am by Cathar »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1352 on: December 30, 2018, 08:39:35 am »

Yeah I keep thinking of picking this up again and then going "meh, what's the point?" It's just not worth the effort to try and pry open a gap to play in. Heck, it was barely worth the effort years ago when the game was more alive.

Has the game actually been developed at all of late?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: December 30, 2018, 10:32:52 am »

Hah, a little bit. However, the problem is that the new additional features are often not well fleshed out, and insufficient work is done to integrate them with the rest of the experience. For example, you can now build capital buildings in designated realm/subrealm capitals, but other than a small production boost in that city, they don't actually do anything. For example, i suggested that local capitals be able to implement a food tax, which could replace the need to set trade-links to gather food from every town in a region, and would also mean you could tax your vassals as a game function, which would give more incentive to offload towns to other players. But this idea was not taken up.

Also, you can now make a family House, and have members and designate a successor, but the feature is purely RP with not much in the way of integration. For example, you don't get to make buildings or compounds related to your "house" and houses aren't integrated into the message system. Also, new players just spawn a house straight away, but then quit playing with their one-person House created. The way this was implemented was absolutely terrible: making a new and entirely separate sub-system for the "House" idea, which doesn't actually integrate with anything else. A much better idea would have been to generalize the concept of a membership-organization based on the realm code. Then, the new system could have been used for memberships systems such as guilds, knightly orders as well as Houses, and would have come with the messaging system for free.

The current devs also being players is a also terrible idea in general. Old players are dedicated to the status quo, so they don't want to risk any idea that might shake things up. To add to the "retracted community" thing, i've suggested ideas that would make more openings for new players and the old influential players recoil in horror at every idea put forward.

For example, I suggested that slumbering players should eventually lose their holdings, because, you know they're not playing anymore, and having them lose their towns after a month or two would create impetus for recruiting new knights, while always ensuring their are openings popping up for new players to carve something out, since realm borders would crumble if existing players didn't renew the ranks. But the old established players were absolutely horrified by this basic suggestion, since they value the in-game "tradition" and "history" more than they value a dynamic game experience.

The need for clearing out slumbering players is clear. They clog up tons of towns with people who aren't playing and they remove the need to keep knight's offers going. Also, when new players look at the game's map, they only see a game full of existing kingdoms, which looks "full". There needs to be some sort of way to indicate to casual new players what sort of opportunities there are.

Check out the number of knights offers if you log in right now: zero. And, I can tell, you there are more slumbering areas than zero. So much more could be done to inject life into the game without needing to change any of the actual game's coding itself. For example, if a subrealm ruler slumbers then the game could spawn knight's offers for that subrealm automatically. Then, there would always be offers popping up to join areas that had fallen away. This would solve a problem where if the next-door baron slumbers then you can't resurrect the subrealm because there are no remaining members, since new knights would pop up in that barony automatically. Sure, it would make things more unpredictable, but that's only going to be a good thing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:03:19 am by Reelya »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1354 on: December 30, 2018, 03:57:48 pm »

If there is an interest, maybe I could do a bit of prying myself... maybe.
That said, in the current situation, the only one who can effectively pry are older players, and the game gives them incentive to precisely not do that. If by miracle I manage to secure a couple more holdings, I'll be sure to keep you guys informed so you can enter through that door, but right now it's pretty desperate

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: December 30, 2018, 07:14:58 pm »

I got super hyped when I read the first post and got to read the manual

but now I got a bit sad, welp, I don't have no Idea of what I want to play, explored a bit the manual from the site and a random video, was coming back to this topic to ask for suggestions but now I don't know if it is worth it

damn,

I still have to read everything to know how it works, but I will still give a suggestion, maybe it will spark some imagination or idea?

one problem is a fuckton of slumbering players defending their holdings while not playing, and old players retaining power inside and outside the game, will it work to create a new RP where the "Dawn of new age is coming" act as a religious group that focus on burning traditions and relieving old stuff?

make the new players join a new group (maybe cathar's one) and start conquering and killing the "old slumbering vampires from their rotten thrones"

How old players will react? You are the ones that might know, maybe will see it as a small challenge or maybe just recoil in horror and screw this game harder

again, I haven't read everything nor created a character myself yet, but if something can be done in-game to revive this, I might offer my sword to this, I will already have a personality to roleplay

question: what the fuck are the dungeons, nothing is said anywhere about this, does this game have a reliable font of information other than it's forums?
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1356 on: December 30, 2018, 07:24:02 pm »

Some roleplay possibility I'm considering :

• A peasant jacquerie against all lords who are slumbering and allow enthrallment
• A mercenary band travelling through the world
• A new heretic religion aggressively pushing conversion

Or any combinaison of the above. If you want to meet me, just set sails to Sulan-Qu. We're effectively an over taxed village struggling for its survival, but we're putting an army on its feet, and I'll do my part to support any roleplay enterprise.

As for how old players will react, I've been told they "would not like it" and probably curbstomp us. But ey, it ain't fun if it's easy
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:28:05 pm by Cathar »

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: December 30, 2018, 07:32:33 pm »

one problem is a fuckton of slumbering players defending their holdings while not playing

When you slumber, your garrisons and mobilized troops begin to rapidly disappear.

old players retaining power inside and outside the game, will it work to create a new RP where the "Dawn of new age is coming" act as a religious group that focus on burning traditions and relieving old stuff? Make the new players join a new group (maybe cathar's one) and start conquering and killing the "old slumbering vampires from their rotten thrones." How old players will react? You are the ones that might know, maybe will see it as a small challenge or maybe just recoil in horror and screw this game harder

It really just depends on how much support you can garner and from where. If you have basically no power in the world, no one would take you seriously, IC or OOC. But if you had real force, certain members of the Old Guard would go out of their ways to make you miserable. Those that already screw the game will continue to do so, especially against your little revival. It'd probably be something I'd be willing to aid with, though, if there was a way to not organize it completely OOCly and with just cause in character.

question: what the fuck are the dungeons, nothing is said anywhere about this, does this game have a reliable font of information other than it's forums?

They're kind of a little minigame. You enter and fight through them with other players and eventually you get to the end and a reward of gold, I believe. I don't know much of the specifics since I've never actually gone into one.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:36:38 pm by coleslaw35 »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1358 on: December 30, 2018, 07:43:35 pm »

>It'd probably be something I'd be willing to aid with, though, if there was a way to not organize it completely OOCly and with just cause in character.

Then maybe extend a formal OOC invitation for non-players to join in, then we switch to IG discussions once people join in. You're effectively the only one here who can make any meaningful change

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: December 30, 2018, 07:51:57 pm »

>It'd probably be something I'd be willing to aid with, though, if there was a way to not organize it completely OOCly and with just cause in character.

Then maybe extend a formal OOC invitation for non-players to join in, then we switch to IG discussions once people join in. You're effectively the only one here who can make any meaningful change

I have extended an OOC invitation for non-players to join, and then if they want to proposition it to me then by all means. However, I am a part of an established realm that would probably be dismantled if your "movement" had its way. I can assure you, the people here however are not the source of the problems that this game faces.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1360 on: December 30, 2018, 08:15:18 pm »

There is absolutely no reason to be aggressive as we're figuring stuff to do Cole

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: December 30, 2018, 08:43:44 pm »

There is absolutely no reason to be aggressive as we're figuring stuff to do Cole

Sure, but won't it eventually come to aggression? How else do you plan to achieve your goals? I'll admit though, I am truly intrigued by the idea.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1362 on: December 30, 2018, 09:07:00 pm »

Maybe, maybe not, if we stop at the first theoretical difficulty we'll never know. It's better to root off bad ideas after we considered all the options. If nobody joins, then nothing matters anyway.
First step is to get players interested in a possibility of roleplay to get you an IG visit and we can discuss that roleplay wise

Edit: And yeah at some point we might need to come in conflict with other people, but one, this is the point of the game and two...we're very, very, very far from that point.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:18:31 pm by Cathar »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: December 30, 2018, 09:36:54 pm »

So, Although next month I might be gone for some weeks I decided to create a character just to mess around and see better the game

I can't place this asshole on the map

the game ask me to join a knight offer or to join a previous dynasty member, and don't give me the option "no oath"

on the character page there is two "place" options, the second bring me back to the page where I must swear fealty to someone, that doesn't exist

the first brings to an error page

oh damn i'm tad unlucky today
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: December 30, 2018, 09:45:02 pm »

Odd. You should be able to spawn in any settlement so long as that settlement allows players to spawn their characters there. Let me try allowing that for one of my settlements and maybe you can try there.

EDIT: Tesivis now allows the spawning of new characters.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:35:25 pm by coleslaw35 »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 96