Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Things That Made You Nervous Today  (Read 19591 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things That Made You Nervous Today
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2016, 06:06:47 pm »

I want to buy a game from Steam, most likely one from my wishlist, but I can't decide which.
And I fear that if I bought one and didn't like it, brain would be all like "Okay okay this one's rubbish but the next one will be great, I just know it, buy another one," and before long I'd have spent way too much money. I mean, I could probably (hopefully!) stop myself from doing that, but who knows. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2016, 06:10:22 pm »

@Yoink:So inflict a budget upon yourself.  Put x-ty amount in your Wallet thingy, and don't go beyond that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2016, 06:12:33 pm »

Buy one, try it for under 2 hours, if it's no good or you don't see improvement likely just refund it and try another.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2016, 06:32:06 pm »

Oh right, that's a thing. I've only used it once, for a game I couldn't run at all.
Steam doesn't mind one requesting refunds purely because they didn't like the game? That's cool.

@Yoink:So inflict a budget upon yourself.  Put x-ty amount in your Wallet thingy, and don't go beyond that.
I have a credit card and a crippling lack of self control, I don't think that would work for long. :P
Perhaps I'll try it, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2016, 12:15:25 am »

Brother and his girlfriend went for a horseback ride with the dogs, called and had to have my dog picked up and brought home because she laid down and refused to continue. Turns out they had gone like 7-8 miles out or something, she was too exhausted and overheated to continue. She's sore and barely waddles around, spent a couple hours on the floor panting, and she threw up after the first two drinks of water. She's sleeping on the couch now, still responding to me when I pet her, and I just hope rest is enough because we can't afford to take any animals to the vets.

The other two dogs, the puppies really, were fine, they went the whole 15-20 mile trip and took a swim in the pond. Lucy's just too out of shape to run that far right now, not to mention her fur is twice as thick and long as the others. I can't believe my brother would be so oblivious to the animals. He knows better than to work them too hard.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2016, 09:28:20 pm »

I'm rather intrigued on the topic of how the internet shapes generations and how those generations shape the world. People grew worried as the first gens of 4chan /b/tards began taking up influence in the world, then in succeeding waves the furries, goons, sjws, the bronies, the /pol/lacks, the alt right and so on. Such groups have very little in common, however the one generalization that rings as believable is that they're all disaffected, socially retarded, organized along ideological grounds that despise society in favour of community, wearing their exclusive dysfunction as a symbol of the community. Formed from shared experiences in one collective consciousness, the effects can be as zealous as that of hardcore cults.

What of the tumblrs, the reddits, youtubes, facebooks and such? That cater to society?
Whilst browsing ironic we are number one crippling depression suicide meme videos I was checking the comments and people were discussing a rather interesting idea. The idea was posited by one soul that if they were to make a video that was just him rubbing soap in his hairy chest, would people watch it? The thought occurred to others replying that indeed, we lived in such a world where many thousands, possibly millions would be more than willing to watch this video even if only ironically. They further brought up how whole generations are growing up 24/7 with broadband who converse entirely with memes, and cannot have a conversation without trying to "win," unleashing their full spectrum of autism with meme after meme in lieu of personal interaction, made worse still with social anxiety from so little socialization. Can such a phenomena become all of society?

The future meme wars may be more literal than "omg literally can't even", and that is an amusing thought. Still, it would be awful to see yesterday's irony become tomorrow's sincerity in regards to virtual space becoming real, and meatspace the joke world

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2016, 07:02:17 am »

Tomorrow I have a social engagement that seems suspiciously like a date. O_O;

Aaaaaaaaahh I hope I don't screw it up as badly as the last (and only) time, where I didn't even realise it was, in fact, a date until afterwards.
But y'know, if you don't dare to believe good things might in fact be true, they usually cease to be. This could be great.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2017, 08:48:18 am »

Double posting 'cause I'm using a website to try and find people with whom to establish a brand-new sharehouse and it's pretty scary stuff.
I fear I was probably far too verbose when writing my profile on there... it's not like I try to ramble when I write things, it just happens! I was trying to be concise! Ugh it's annoying. Hopefully some folks appreciate my excellent English skills and my goofy sense of humour. They probably all think I'm a moron.

There are at least a couple of people I've seen with lengthy profiles themselves, I'm pretty sure I contacted both/all of them, since clearly we have at least some rambliness in common.
I still have no idea how a normal person is supposed to go about composing messages to strangers in this situation, though. I probably come across as a total lunatic or a major-league creeper.

Oh, I'd forgotten about my above post. Yeah, that was a bit annoying.
I don't even know what's going on with that scenario to be honest.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2017, 09:09:46 pm »

Just turned in my first two articles for the student newspaper. One is (supposed to be) funny, the other more analytical.

I hope people will like them :/
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2017, 09:53:20 pm »

Just turned in my first two articles for the student newspaper. One is (supposed to be) funny, the other more analytical.

I hope people will like them :/
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm sure they'll be a hit!  :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2017, 06:11:18 am »

Finals. Finals make me nervous.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2017, 06:59:43 am »

I'm rather intrigued on the topic of how the internet shapes generations and how those generations shape the world. People grew worried as the first gens of 4chan /b/tards began taking up influence in the world, then in succeeding waves the furries, goons, sjws, the bronies, the /pol/lacks, the alt right and so on. Such groups have very little in common, however the one generalization that rings as believable is that they're all disaffected, socially retarded, organized along ideological grounds that despise society in favour of community, wearing their exclusive dysfunction as a symbol of the community. Formed from shared experiences in one collective consciousness, the effects can be as zealous as that of hardcore cults.

What of the tumblrs, the reddits, youtubes, facebooks and such? That cater to society?
Whilst browsing ironic we are number one crippling depression suicide meme videos I was checking the comments and people were discussing a rather interesting idea. The idea was posited by one soul that if they were to make a video that was just him rubbing soap in his hairy chest, would people watch it? The thought occurred to others replying that indeed, we lived in such a world where many thousands, possibly millions would be more than willing to watch this video even if only ironically. They further brought up how whole generations are growing up 24/7 with broadband who converse entirely with memes, and cannot have a conversation without trying to "win," unleashing their full spectrum of autism with meme after meme in lieu of personal interaction, made worse still with social anxiety from so little socialization. Can such a phenomena become all of society?

The future meme wars may be more literal than "omg literally can't even", and that is an amusing thought. Still, it would be awful to see yesterday's irony become tomorrow's sincerity in regards to virtual space becoming real, and meatspace the joke world

I can't wait till th enext century comes and people become so utterly socially inept that they communicate solely through image macros and monologue videos because actual direct communication becomes too painful for most people.

Anyway, I have a bit of a tangentially related reason to be a bit nervous today, though not nervous as in anxious, more like nervous as in ~there's a thing that is going to happen that is completely unescessary and annoying to me". I'm supposed to have a chat with one soon to be ex husband of an old friend of mine. After years of living together, they're divorcing.
Both parties have already got involved in other relationships, have no children, and haven't had any meaningful conversations for over a year now.
And yet they haven't been able to divorce, and this is causing problems for them, legally and emotionally, and the reason for this is the most hilariously ridiculous ever: they can't fucking talk to each other.

I used to think there was a legitimate reason for this, maybe there was some serious abuse or violence involved, but that doesn't seem to be the case. My friend said nothing of such nature ever happened in their relationship, something I later confirmed with her husband when I talked to him.

As far as I know, the only actual form of communicaton between the two are vague and passive agressive messages posted on social media, dedicated to expressing just how much better they are now, without each other.

Now, I have no right to question anyone's decision in regards to their relationships, but just why the hell can't they talk to eachother to solve a problem thats affecting both of them? I'm literally playing the mediator here. Sure, I'm a lawyer and they're seeking to divorce, so it should be business as usual, but its kinda apalling just how utterly feeble these people have become. They could have totally dealt with this without even needing a lawyer a long time ago, yet they didn't, and the only reason for this seems that they refuse to communicate with each other except through social media indirect passive agressiveness.

If this was an isolated occurence, I'd only be laughing, but this seems way too common. I have observed this so many times now, people with problems that can be easily solved just by having a simple conversation and comming to terms in regards to what to do, stuff that you don't actualy need legal knowledge for, and yet they always choose to seek a lawyer and solve the issue through litigation. Its not like I didn't already know that, in many instances, family courts are used as an escape valve for people's inabily to unfuck their relationship issues, but have things become so ridiculous that this kind of pettyness is the norm now? People can't sit down and unfuck things for the benefit of both of them anymore simply because they decided they can't stand to interact with the other person? Do people really need a third party to come and solve it in a more onerous and tortuous way?

Hell, I've tried putting both of them in a room so I talk to them at the same time, yet they put every kind of obstacle imaginable to make such a thing impossible, but now its only ammounting to excuses. Both parties are young people in their mid twenties.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:02:01 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2017, 02:05:41 pm »

First day back to school since winter break, and while I was a little nervous at first I can see that it's just gonna be another semester of monotony unless I change something.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2017, 06:53:00 pm »

Stuck at the bottom of a hill in an iced over trailer park. Fortunately family lives here, but not any I've seen in years (was trying to visit and fix their computer). No laptop or ds, but I hope they have a USB charger... not really likely, and I didn't bring my cables.

Anxiety is oddly gone, replaced with managed dread. Guess I'm sleeping over in a tiny place.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2017, 07:12:06 pm »

if only you had some sand
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12