Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Biomes that you know about but have never played  (Read 5159 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Biomes that you know about but have never played
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 03:02:15 pm »

So I think the basic concensus of this thread is as follows: rivers cutting through s**t is awesome.

@the guy who doesn't like coasts...I have a coast embark with a brook and a multi-level aquifer I only got through by chance. No fresh water shortage here!
How are you for trees and animals?
Loads of trees and relatively few animals. It isn't like the whole thing is beach, or anything. Almost all of the land is some kind of forest.

Wormser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 08:18:15 pm »

@Snaake:
The bottom of a glacier is weird, so when you channel the bottom tile you don't get a ramp, but a hole, so to get down you need a stair. If you're unlucky, you'll get an ice boulder at the bottom of the hole, in which case you'll have to try again (since the boulder blocks the building of the stair).

Is it even possible to get an aquifer in the first layer below ground?

I think my aquifer is like 2 or 3 z down? Not sure. But, at least it is underground and does not freeze over. Plus it has trees... Which also should not have been there too.. As well as flux, sediment layer and no volcanos unless I dig deep enough...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 08:31:57 pm »

I recently played in a fort that had terrifying mountains (with a volcano), joyous wild hills, and savage plains.

I broke everything through ineptitude, and abandoned.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 12:36:55 am »

Now all you need is a couple of rivers.

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2015, 05:50:31 am »

I would love to start in a glacier or on top of a mountain, but I'm so used to having all the wood I need that I think I wouldn't enjoy it.. I know caravan trading is an option but mehh.. And I just hate pot, haha  8)
This is great.

Wormser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2015, 11:59:23 am »

I would love to start in a glacier or on top of a mountain, but I'm so used to having all the wood I need that I think I wouldn't enjoy it.. I know caravan trading is an option but mehh.. And I just hate pot, haha  8)

Dig deep. Dig fast. Hit the land of fun stuff....  8) But, in all seriousness if that is possable. Like in my current fort. Part of the surface has trees alog with being a glacier. You could always hope for an embarkment with a bit of tress in them..

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2015, 12:14:41 pm »

Glacier forts have always been my favorite. Once you get magma and enough beds, wood becomes a non-issue. You can get what you need for steel from the caverns, even if you don't have coal handy.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2015, 05:45:26 pm »

Evil oceans. I've seen loads of them but never found a suitable one for embarking that wouldn't result in instant death.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2015, 09:51:03 am »

I'm one of those folks that tinkers around with custom world gens for hours and hours. I like to play on volcanoes that boarder multiple biomes with at least one that is savage, a nearby tower and a river. Generally my embark will be missing one of these ingredients, but all in all it leads to me experiencing a lot of different biomes for how few forts I have actually made. So far the ones I have enjoyed the most are savage tropical biomes with some trees bordering on deserts and evil biomes. You get interesting critters like giant desert scorpions etc. in deserts and evil biomes are always full of fun stuff like clouds of nasty death.

I have never played in an arctic biome of any sort, no tundras or glaciers, but it's definitely on my list.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2015, 12:51:29 pm »

Dig deep. Dig fast. Hit the land of fun stuff....  8) But, in all seriousness if that is possable. Like in my current fort. Part of the surface has trees alog with being a glacier. You could always hope for an embarkment with a bit of tress in them..

well its not like you even need those..i spend my first glacier embark(five years before abandoning it out of boredom) without finding any caverns to mine trees from...all of my coal production came from bitumous coal, and i used dormitories for sleeping purposes, and stone made dining rooms for eating.

it was actually kinda fun...i grew fond of embarking on glaciers after that

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2015, 01:33:21 pm »

Evil oceans. I've seen loads of them but never found a suitable one for embarking that wouldn't result in instant death.
If the body of water is large enough, you should be able to find an Evil Ocean with a normal shoreline, or at least only a few tiles of Evil land.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2015, 08:56:12 am »

Is it even possible to get an aquifer in the first layer below ground?
Regarding aquifers just below the surface, I recall someone saying they had that once in a swamp. I haven't played that often with aquifers: I find them easy enough to pierce, but I haven't played much in general recently (after I learned to pierce), and the pierce area messes with my fort aesthetics, even though endless water is nice.

I just realized we may have been talking across each other here. When I talked about 1, 2 or 3+ "deep" aquifers, I originally meant how thick they are, since it doesn't really matter that much how many non-aquifer soil levels you have above the aquifer, as long as you have at least 1 (although 2+ lets you do the whole pierce underground for safety). Aquifers are usually 1-2 levels thick AFAIK, although 3-4 is possible, and maybe even more, if you have 2 aquifer layers that merge with each other. How soon you encounter the first aquifer level varies with soil thickness but also other factors I think; like I wrote above, I've read of someone getting an aquifer right below the surface (wooden surface fort time, anyone?), but usually there's 1-3 levels of soil first. More is also possible if your soil layer is deep enough as a whole.

Just dying for (to?) those undead giant sperm whales, eh? ;)
Glacier forts have always been my favorite. Once you get magma and enough beds, wood becomes a non-issue. You can get what you need for steel from the caverns, even if you don't have coal handy.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 10:12:19 am »

I usually embark in very deep soil, and the aquifer (which is there because I want one) is usually 3 levels down (allowing roof puncture free farming). My thickest aquifer was 8 in conglomerate (don't remember but there might have been two levels of sand as the two top levels), but I've seen a neighboring ocean biome that yielded wet walls all the way down into the first cavern (but the walls weren't crying anyway). Someone reported burying through 17 layers.

An aquifer right below the surface would be an interesting change, but I doubt you'd be able to do much with a single pick challenge, since the jobs rewrite seems to make it impossible to speed dig through wet layers (automatically cancelling the job, manually redesignate the tile, walk away a bit, return to a now water filled dig tile to cancel again permanently. Even if you were to single step to designate the next tile as soon as the previous one was done, you seem to still get the walk away behavior [in fact, I've designated the next tile while channeling away floors while the miner is still working on the previous tile, and have had it still walk away and return, so the next tile job allocation seems to happen prior to the finish of the previous one, somehow]).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 03:47:58 pm »

If the body of water is large enough, you should be able to find an Evil Ocean with a normal shoreline, or at least only a few tiles of Evil land.
Yeah but usually all aquifer'd up or something

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2015, 04:14:29 pm »

Well this thread got me to try freezing taiga next to a cold ocean and just a tiny edge of glacier. It's a very nice place for a very nice fort. It probably won't be too exciting though. Despite that I've already found a few ways to shoot myself in the foot, but I don't see this one going on for a long time after the original set up. There is scads of platinum underground which makes it somewhat interesting. I also discovered that it's possible for a crab to kill a rookie sworddwarf in leather armor. I would have though any dwarf would be able to take out a crab.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4