Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raincoats/Rain Capes  (Read 1090 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raincoats/Rain Capes
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:07:13 am »

I checked and found a very old suggestion from 2009 about raincoats and umbrellas.  I would like to toss raincoats back into the suggestion ring because it should be easy to make grass/straw/fiber/silk raincoats a choice in the Farmer's Workshop.  Every since I had my Dwarfs all die because of thirst from the winter freezing up all the water I always prefer to embark in a warm or slightly warm climate.  True, I have learned about wells and making underground wells since then but I still prefer warm and very WET areas.  My Dwarfs biggest complaints has always been getting rained on.   :'(

Ancient China had straw rain capes but also made some from silk or silk treated with oil (the Dwarfs could use fat).  They also used leaves woven together - which is great because most leaves are water proof without need of treatment.  It seems simple, can be plugged into an already existing industry, and allows us to have fashion shows.  8)

So I would love me some raincoats or capes.    :D

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raincoats/Rain Capes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 01:48:43 pm »

I checked and found a very old suggestion from 2009 about raincoats and umbrellas.  I would like to toss raincoats back into the suggestion ring -snip-

I linked the thread for you. A lot of back and forth on ideas, but some interesting keypoints:
  • Various types of rain gear { Hats, Cloaks, Parasols/Umbrellas, etc } may vary from race to race
  • a [raw_tag] to modify sun/rain affects on mood, sounds like a logical idea
  • leather as is, or 'oilskin' similar to glaze for pottery, could use rock nut oil or tallow impregnated wool/silk/fiber garments
Possibly Exotic only, that you need to trade for.  Possibly with new emotion/interaction system, a Dorf seen with such equipment will be laughed at.  Who knows.  But I like the idea of 'some' way to handle exposure thoughts on Military patrols.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raincoats/Rain Capes
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 06:28:57 pm »

Possibly Exotic only, that you need to trade for.  Possibly with new emotion/interaction system, a Dorf seen with such equipment will be laughed at.  Who knows.  But I like the idea of 'some' way to handle exposure thoughts on Military patrols.

Thanks.  Hmm...but if somebody laughed at a Dorf would that not just be a great excuse for that Dorf to kill them?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!