Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2015  (Read 14058 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: NaNoWriMo 2015
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2015, 05:31:57 pm »

ptw

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2015, 06:21:33 pm »

I think I'm going to write something about a man who almost dies in one of those moral dilemmas and decides from then on to kill a large number of people to save a small number.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2015, 07:10:12 pm »

How would the early Renaissance future look like?

for my book, I wanted to make a Sci-Fi book dealing with Death-Row and Super-Max type criminals dealing with survival in an alien Galaxy. They were sent to death via Black Hole, but the Black Hole is actually a worm hole, and some of the trash and inmates not turned into spaghetti are farted out the other side into a completely alien Galaxy, with only the alien flora and fauna and human waste to aid in survival.

What I'd like to do is have a Sci-Fi world with a feel similar to the Late Middle Ages/Early Renaissance period, specifically, a sort of world that Christopher Columbus would possibly think of. Do you know of any resources to aid in this sort of world, and what are your thoughts and suggestions for this world?

I tried to do a "Roman Empire in the future" story one year. It didn't get far, but that was more because of lack of writing time. I researched how the Roman legions were organized, their weaponry, that sort of thing.
That sounds neat, though it sucks you weren't able to finish it. What was the storyline behind it?
Basically, the Roman Empire never fell and instead managed to expand across the globe. Eventually they build up to modern and then future technology, expanding into space on giant city-ships. The story would have followed the "Cursed Legion", Legio DCLXVI, shortly after the most-recent founding as they travel around battling rebels, hostile aliens, etc.

Not at all original, but wgaf?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2015, 07:13:28 pm »

Here's the novel I'm going to write. It's nothing too serious, but not really wacky either. Hopefully it's something enjoyable.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/bernardo-hoagie/novels/centralia-the-filthy-moon

Is the image okay to use?

If the image is public domain, yes. Otherwise, I would contact the creator.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 12:36:04 am »

Screw it, let's do this. I already have twoone story going on atm, but I'll do this anyway. Not gonna plan, planning is not for me.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2015, 02:41:23 am »

I recently got Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable and it is going to be bloody awesome to write a novel with it as a reference book.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2015, 07:36:00 pm »

How is everyone else's hype level going? I'm getting quite excited, although finding time to write everyday is certainly going to be a pain and a half for my motivation.

For my outlining, I took some paper and tried to list 25 chapter outlines, with 2 major events for each chapter. I'm not terribly happy with it, especially near the end when things should be building in excitement. My original plan for the primary conflict seems rather underwhelming (man vs. money/mechanic problems), but I think that I've come up with a plan to shift more traditional conflict to the forefront.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2015, 07:42:29 pm »

I've got plenty of hype. Problem is maintaining it, especially when you have a weird schedule that doesn't allow you to just "set aside" some time to write :v

But I shall try yet again.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2015, 08:05:06 pm »

This should be fun.

Methinks I'll write a novel primarily for my own amusement about the misadventures of a walking otaku stereotype with various quirky and strange characters as he goes about a particularly eventful summer in a small city.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2015, 08:16:43 pm »

Might attempt to try to write for this this year.  Don't know whether to utilize it as a game programming benchmark and wind up ending up with a book of code, a benchmark for writing up item descriptions and plot for a game I have in mind, or just flat out write a novel from an idea I had, wherein a non-powered individual lives on a planet where everyone has some superhuman ability and follows his descent into becoming the most terrifying individual the planet had seen.  Likely been done before, but screw it, why not see what I can do with it?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2015, 09:07:26 pm »

Alright, posting here for accountability. If I don't finish I owe an internet cookie to anyone who asks for one.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2015, 09:47:00 pm »

I found a friend willing to push me through this, so my god, am I excited!!! AAAH!!!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2015, 10:23:27 pm »

Excitement levels are through the roof! Can't wait to start my unplanned masterpiece!
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2015, 12:33:16 am »

Had a bit of a brainstorm with my housemates the other night.
With luck, one of them might also participate- that would probably make it a lot easier to stay focused/motivated on writing!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2015, 01:23:39 am »

Staying the course, thousand points of light and all that. My outline and cover have been done for a couple days so I'm not thinking about it and working on other stuff.

Should have no problem finishing the book a week early again this year, barring catastrophic injury or illness.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12