Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How long does it take for a moody dwarf to go insane, exactly?  (Read 967 times)

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How long does it take for a moody dwarf to go insane, exactly?
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:14:46 am »

I was only able to find vague estimates, like "a couple of months", however my last moody dwarf has lost her mind after just a month and a half.

This time I have a weaponsmith with a preference for maces. Unfortunately I don't have gold or platinum, but it's almost late summer and the dwarven caravan is in sight. I'm willing to risk the dwarf and the possibility of a steel or silver artifact, to get a shot at a gold one, but I'm not sure if there's enough time. The caravan arrives around the 15th, which is just shy of two months away.

Also, would making the dwarf run around the map and forbidding the bars she's after just before she grabs them, help? I've read somewhere that they don't go insane if they're in the process of collecting stuff.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: How long does it take for a moody dwarf to go insane, exactly?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 05:02:33 am »

It varies based on their personality, specifically how well they cope with stress. A dwarf who's "a nervous wreck", "in a constant state of internal rage", and/or "is frequently depressed" will loose their mind practically at the drop of a sock while traits like "an incredibly calm demeanor", "never becomes angry" and/or "never feels discouraged" mean a dwarf can and will weather the worst Fortress Mode has to offer.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:50:08 am »

Goblin siege arrived earlier than I hoped, so my dwarf never had a chance to go insane, - no gold for the year again. I also remembered that if there's unforbidden adamantine on the level, the moody smith will not settle for anything else, even when the end result is a glorified wifflebat. Bah.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:52:07 am by Ives »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 10:52:57 am »

Sounds like a perfect Hammerer badge of office to me.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 01:30:03 pm »

Although the point is moot now that you have your adamantine massage wand: I believe the insanity countdown is reset after every item they bring to the workshop, and it doesn't run while they are out getting something.  Only during time spent idling without either the required workshop or a required item do they spiral towards madness.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 02:11:10 pm »

Although the point is moot now that you have your adamantine massage wand: I believe the insanity countdown is reset after every item they bring to the workshop, and it doesn't run while they are out getting something.  Only during time spent idling without either the required workshop or a required item do they spiral towards madness.

Interesting.  So I could buy large amounts of time by forbidding every boulder except a small pile of cobaltite on the other side of the map in the lowest cavern.  Will the moody dwarf ever die of thirst, or can I send them on this fetch quest indefinitely by forbidding each boulder after they've spent a month hauling it back to the workshop?

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 03:45:38 pm »

Interesting.  So I could buy large amounts of time by forbidding every boulder except a small pile of cobaltite on the other side of the map in the lowest cavern.  Will the moody dwarf ever die of thirst, or can I send them on this fetch quest indefinitely by forbidding each boulder after they've spent a month hauling it back to the workshop?

Somebody like Quietust, who seems to know everything, may arrive and correct me.  But as far as I know, dwarves in a strange mood do not experience hunger or thirst.  Their inspiration sustains them like a most rarefied and nutrient vapour.  I think it is possible to waste infinite time in this way.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:22:28 pm »

I was only able to find vague estimates, like "a couple of months", however my last moody dwarf has lost her mind after just a month and a half.
The exact duration is 50000 ticks which, at 1200 ticks per day, works out to 41.66 days, which is almost exactly the month and a half you observed.

I believe the insanity countdown is reset after every item they bring to the workshop, and it doesn't run while they are out getting something.  Only during time spent idling without either the required workshop or a required item do they spiral towards madness.
That is correct.

But as far as I know, dwarves in a strange mood do not experience hunger or thirst.  Their inspiration sustains them like a most rarefied and nutrient vapour.  I think it is possible to waste infinite time in this way.
That is also correct. They also do not experience drowsiness.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:26:31 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 09:12:04 pm »

Thank you, everyone. Very informative replies.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 09:47:32 pm »

I believe the base item is brought to the workshop _first_.  All that will do is allow you to stall until the caravan arrives with diamonds for decorations.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!