Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happens to prisoners held in non-dark fortress sites?  (Read 2106 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What happens to prisoners held in non-dark fortress sites?
« on: October 12, 2015, 05:06:00 pm »

Does the game not actually make them appear in the site at all or are they deposited at a random location across the site area or are they simply placed like normal site members are?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to prisoners held in non-dark fortress sites?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:11:40 pm »

I have never been able to track them down.

I've gone through and checked above and below ground with reveal in every remotely plausible location in a hamlet and town that had dragon prisoners with no luck.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:26:48 am »

I have never been able to track them down.

I've gone through and checked above and below ground with reveal in every remotely plausible location in a hamlet and town that had dragon prisoners with no luck.

So basically it does not actually place them because it tries to find a dark fortress dungeon to put them in but they still 'count' as being at the site because creatures exist abstractly at a site in adventure mode and are only placed once the player comes within a certain distance.  This is how Toady One kept the memory requirements of the game down, the creatures location is stored abstractly and the actual creatures do not concretely exist; what this means is that giving [BABYSNATCHER] tag to non-DkFortress civs seems to work so people do it but actually it does *not* work, since the details are only functional at an abstract level.

This being the case I am of a mind to remove [BABYSNATCHER] from all non-DkFortress civs in the next release.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 04:15:16 pm »

That definitely deserves a bug report. If you have a save at a non-dark fortress site that should contained kidnapped children, you should post it to the DFFD, and create a bug report on the bug tracker.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 05:32:23 pm »

That definitely deserves a bug report. If you have a save at a non-dark fortress site that should contained kidnapped children, you should post it to the DFFD, and create a bug report on the bug tracker.

I do not think it is bug, as it is not like non-dark fortress sites are actually meant to support babysnatchers at all.  Unless somebody has successfully rescued a child before then I am inclined to believe that the whole setup is non-functional, the site shows up as having children in it, world-gen processes them as if they existed but really they are never drawn into the site because there is no dungeon to put them in.  Also, you did not give your creatures Kill Neutral: required, so even if the kids *were* at the site the creatures would just let you walk away with the kids without a fight anyway. 

Anyhow, I cannot find the file.  I tried trawling through my recycle bin, cannot find it; may have been so frustrated by my endless search through the forest retreat as to have permanantly deleted the thing. :( :(
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:58:56 pm by GoblinCookie »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 05:58:34 pm »

Prisoners might not show, but assimilated victims do pop up.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 06:00:23 pm »

Prisoners might not show, but assimilated victims do pop up.

Yes, because they count as ordinary people belonging to the site once they are adults. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 05:47:52 am »

Goblincookie, I may be misreading your post, it's late and I'm half asleep, but are you trying to say you don't believe all the reports people have made about rescuing children, the reactions of the families when you return them, the crazy people who've built armies of rescued children, etc. These things very much do happen, just search the site a little more.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 06:11:49 am »

Goblincookie, I may be misreading your post, it's late and I'm half asleep, but are you trying to say you don't believe all the reports people have made about rescuing children, the reactions of the families when you return them, the crazy people who've built armies of rescued children, etc. These things very much do happen, just search the site a little more.

I am talking about people modding the game so that there are non-dark fortress sites (specifically forest retreats) that have baby snatchers.  It appears that the children are not actually placed in the site even though *abstractly* they are considered as being at the site.  I am looking for somebody who have actually rescued a child from a non-dark fortress site.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 06:13:35 am »

Ah, OK. We're in the DF Modding forum. Too many words to take in right now.  ;)

bluemovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 02:59:52 am »

I found elf slave near human town. He was not friendly and he killed my adventure yesterday. There are no goblin civ in my world at all. Its in fairy tales age with dwarves, elfves and human which defeated elven civ at war previosly. So I not sure about differences between slave and prisoners but slaves there is

Sorry for my english
Sorry for my english

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 10:30:15 am »

I found elf slave near human town. He was not friendly and he killed my adventure yesterday. There are no goblin civ in my world at all. Its in fairy tales age with dwarves, elfves and human which defeated elven civ at war previosly. So I not sure about differences between slave and prisoners but slaves there is

Sorry for my english

Slaves are intended for human sites, prisoners are intended to be confined in the prisons of goblins sites until they grow up.