Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35

Author Topic: Mission 24: By the pricking of my thumbs...  (Read 61479 times)

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 24: By the pricking of my thumbs...
« Reply #450 on: January 10, 2016, 12:15:38 am »

"Huh. Wanna bet it's a trap?"
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 10, 2016, 01:05:25 am »

Almost certainly. I'm going to test it out before actually going in.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 10, 2016, 05:23:26 pm »

"Why would someone draw a world in a room?"

Keep the door open. Poke the walls with a weapon to see if they are solid.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #453 on: January 10, 2016, 06:32:31 pm »

If the guy in the Hephaestus room exits the room:
Start opening and closing the door repeatedly. The contents of rooms seem to change when the door closes and reopens. Hopefully, they will change enough to get something useful. Even if it doesn't lead to the real Hephaestus, maybe I can find a DoctorOther I could ask for help.

If the guy in the Hephaestus room doesn't exit the room:
Write "Behind this door is an explanation about how I can talk to the real Steve again." on a door.  Than open it and hope for the best.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 11, 2016, 03:36:05 am »

"There we go, all done," Jobasio says as he straightens up, "What now?"
When his gauss rifle fails to offer any helpful advice, he gives her a comforting pat, whispers some soothing words to calm her down and heads back to the doorway, peering cautiously out of it before deciding his next move.

I left the door open, right?
Can I see anyone in the hallway? Is there anything unusual to be seen out there?
If all looks clear, head out into the hallway and look for another person or, failing that, another door.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #455 on: January 12, 2016, 04:20:08 pm »

stick a knife under the door to wedge it open and then go look in the crates, check for labels or manifests prior to opening and avoid anything labelled as a biohazard.
also perform cameye scans on all of the crates looking for booby traps, strongly expect to find none.

pray for guns, precious metals, and unique metamaterials or artifacts of value to the R&D guys.
or an alien puppy in a stasis pod.

((I have the strangest feeling that ive come across this scenario before... I just cant remember where...))
You wedge the door open and go to look at the crates. They're unlabeled, beyond a bar code, and there's no handy shipping manifest around to warn you about the ones filled with bees. Some of the crates scanned show various objects, electronics and materials by the outline. Other crates seem to have a lining of some sort that prevents you from looking inside.

You pray for goodies of great power and monetary strength.

"Hmm."

Take a spare eye out from within me and stick it through the door on one of my arms. Have a good lookabout with the eye, and then draw it back in and process the data. Was it really the inside of the elevator? The elevator shaft or the elevator itself?
You take a careful look but this all seems to check out. Nothing here seems...obviously deadly.

Sounds interesting. Let's try it.
You open a door.
Examine the meaning of this. what is it, really, to open a door?
Also examine the body I used to open this door. Is it one I have inhabited before?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Ah. Now, this wouldn't happen to somebody normal. And the vast majority of unusual people wouldn't have the strength or conviction to act. But whoever's goddamn out there watching this with some sick grin on their face, you'd better not assume I'm your average grunt.

I spent decades in a military simulation videogame. Useless for real life, made me the loser I am today. Just someone with no understanding of the world trying to build something, on the conviction that not everyone is as fucked as he is. In a place like ARM, just waiting to be swatted to bloodied fragments by chance, horror or malice.

But I went under the needle a few times in the game. I was knocked out, I dreamed. And I know how this shit. This is one of two things. Could be that there's a hell of a lot of these people. And the question is, which one's the real me. But I've been through the puzzles before. The madness. The frustration. The rage. And if it's the only thing living in a virtual world for years has taught me, I know this one's the real me. Now, there's another puzzle. And the solution to that one involves counting the doors."

Is there a door opening behind me, in my room? If so, stay exactly where I am, with my door open for a few minutes, then close it, provided nothing dramatic (i.e. someone comes in, it leads to a new place) happens.

If not, then rush into the other room, possibly shoving the inhabitant aside, and jump through the other door.

You rush into the room ahead and it leads into a duplicate of your current room. However this time there are no doors, including the one you just walked through.

Scrawled on the wall is the word "WISH".

"Why would someone draw a world in a room?"

Keep the door open. Poke the walls with a weapon to see if they are solid.
They seem pretty solid
If the guy in the Hephaestus room exits the room:
Start opening and closing the door repeatedly. The contents of rooms seem to change when the door closes and reopens. Hopefully, they will change enough to get something useful. Even if it doesn't lead to the real Hephaestus, maybe I can find a DoctorOther I could ask for help.

If the guy in the Hephaestus room doesn't exit the room:
Write "Behind this door is an explanation about how I can talk to the real Steve again." on a door.  Than open it and hope for the best.

You want to close him in?

"There we go, all done," Jobasio says as he straightens up, "What now?"
When his gauss rifle fails to offer any helpful advice, he gives her a comforting pat, whispers some soothing words to calm her down and heads back to the doorway, peering cautiously out of it before deciding his next move.

I left the door open, right?
Can I see anyone in the hallway? Is there anything unusual to be seen out there?
If all looks clear, head out into the hallway and look for another person or, failing that, another door.

The door is open but...well there is nothing outside. Literally nothing. All black. Zip.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 12, 2016, 04:28:00 pm »

Carefully head inside and hit the 'up' button. See if anything happens. Make sure to use multiple vision modes if I have them to see any invisible gribblies.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 06:46:09 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 12, 2016, 04:46:57 pm »

Perform a quick radiation check on the sealed crates, then open every crate that gives off no bad vibes.

Steal one of everything that has value to the R&D guy's.

create a mental list of whats in each crate and a rough estimate of its quality or value.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:53:30 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 12, 2016, 04:51:45 pm »

Swear as creatively as only a gamer who thinks he spent thirty years in the military can.

Then wish for a door onto the Paracelsus sword.

Comments about footsticking in doorways still stand.
One wheel short of a wagon

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 12, 2016, 04:52:04 pm »

Go along for the ride. Be ready to defend Vanessa, and myself, with the laser rifle and my Spektr. Use two arms for each of the rifles to ensure a steady platform to fire from. Watch out for any Other!teammates (or Spider!HMRC).
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 12, 2016, 04:53:24 pm »

Count channeling points.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:59:12 pm by Egan_BW »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #461 on: January 12, 2016, 05:09:51 pm »

((Sorry, I keep forgetting not to make my actions too complicated. Let's try again.))

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 12, 2016, 10:42:38 pm »

Think of home, open another door.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #463 on: January 14, 2016, 04:21:22 pm »

Carefully head inside and hit the 'up' button. See if anything happens. Make sure to use multiple vision modes if I have them to see any invisible gribblies.
You hit the up button. The elevator doors close and it rises up one floor before opening again. It opens onto a door. You open the door and you find yourself staring at Flint's big metal ass.

Perform a quick radiation check on the sealed crates, then open every crate that gives off no bad vibes.

Steal one of everything that has value to the R&D guy's.

create a mental list of whats in each crate and a rough estimate of its quality or value.

No radiation that you can see, but as  per vibes, you're not really sure.

You open the crates one by one. The majority are boring; normal stuff. A lot of it just looks like lab equipment or medical equipment or...body bags.  But there are a few interesting things, the most interesting being small metal boxes that you can't quite figure out how to open.

Swear as creatively as only a gamer who thinks he spent thirty years in the military can.

Then wish for a door onto the Paracelsus sword.

Comments about footsticking in doorways still stand.

Did you say wish?

The orb in your pocket vibrates violently and then a doorway appears before you. It looks a lot like one of the sword's airlock doors.

Count channeling points.
1 an hour, average human.

((Sorry, I keep forgetting not to make my actions too complicated. Let's try again.))
You close the door then open it again. There's a office in there now; one with orange shag carpeting, a fake wood desk, and a large red rotatory phone sitting on an end table.

Think of home, open another door.
You get a room with nothing in it but a trash can.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 14, 2016, 04:31:33 pm »

Steal all of the interesting things.
Especially the puzzle boxes.

Open a door whilst wishing for an alien artifact R&D prototype storage vault.
Steal everything that looks like a melee weapon, power source, or metamaterial.

Then wish for the next door I open to open onto the paracelsus sword. open it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:35:02 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35