Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Thea: The Awakening  (Read 21747 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Thea: The Awakening
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2015, 07:08:50 pm »

Fuck you game.  There were twenty children in my village, exactly one of them survived to maturity >:(
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2015, 07:12:49 pm »

This is why you pay the piper.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2015, 07:32:33 pm »

It was the poisoned well event... I knew the option I chose (which is very poorly explained, but I'd seen this event before) would result in dead kids, just not ALL of them.  I spent so damn long with 20 kids too and none of them maturing.  This was followed by a bunch of brutal shit that killed off my remaining 7 villagers (including a three skull attack in broad daylight).

On one hand, I might have survived if I'd picked the other option, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure the other result would have killed me too.  Ah well, shouldn't complain seeing as how I was playing on godlike :P
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2015, 02:51:58 am »

So is the lack of posting here because people have lost interest in this game, or because you haven't felt any reason to post?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2015, 08:29:15 am »

Is there any point (other than redundancy in case of their death) in taking a back-up medic with you on expeditions? And does having more heavily wounded people make the medic's job harder? Even after >10 hours I honestly can't tell.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2015, 06:19:47 pm »

Is there any point (other than redundancy in case of their death) in taking a back-up medic with you on expeditions? And does having more heavily wounded people make the medic's job harder? Even after >10 hours I honestly can't tell.

Medic skills can be used in challenges, so sometimes it's very useful to have multiple medics. I'm not sure how the death checks work though...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2015, 07:40:10 pm »

So is the lack of posting here because people have lost interest in this game, or because you haven't felt any reason to post?

I don't have the money to buy every game I want, especially around this time (especially since I owe someone)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2015, 09:49:42 am »

Here is a quote from the RPS article:

When I started playing Thea: The Awakening, I was excited for its possibilities. I’d love to play the game that I thought, in those early hours, that I was playing. If the card battle system were better and less predictable, if there was more stuff to do with your village and a greater tension between exploration and protecting your home, if failure weren’t quite so punishing or random at times… Thea breaks the mold by doing a lot of different things at once. It just needs to do all of them better.

I feel the exact same way. They must enhance & tweak various gameplay elements. It's a good game with a great potential, but it needs a major expansion.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2015, 10:13:47 pm »

After taking a two week break, it feels like there's more of a mid-game now then at launch. Skill challenges have gotten harder and 4-skull challenges now give me some pause, even with a 10 man group with a few nice items of gear.

I don't know if they're adding events or not, but I'm seeing different ones now then I did before...

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2015, 10:24:13 pm »

For me, the settlement system needs a bit more to it. For me the combat system dominates so much that the settlement is just.. kind of an afterthought.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2015, 10:26:22 pm »

My concern is just the difficulty curve.  Like, its fun, but if you can beat the early game you can beat the lategame.

Which is fine, I mean a lot of games have that problem.  The issue here is that the lategame also has greatly increased micromanagement.

Still love the fuck out of the game's design and strongly considering going back to it.  Binged it the first few days after getting it and then never went back.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Invasion of the cabage-pod people
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2015, 09:30:32 am »

Kids are really weird in this game. You find them as fully formed teenagers in cabbage fields and they don't eat anything until they emerge from their cabbage cocoons. After that the weirdness of bears and eagles mining for coal kinda fades away.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2015, 10:10:01 am »

For me, the settlement system needs a bit more to it. For me the combat system dominates so much that the settlement is just.. kind of an afterthought.

This. So much this.

I don't like the combat system very much. And as you say, the settlement bit is underdeveloped in comparison. So I don't pay that much attention to this game right now :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invasion of the cabage-pod people
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2015, 09:33:02 pm »

Kids are really weird in this game. You find them as fully formed teenagers in cabbage fields and they don't eat anything until they emerge from their cabbage cocoons. After that the weirdness of bears and eagles mining for coal kinda fades away.

Hahaha.

Everyone (rightly) compares this game to KoDP but the KoDP devs had a pretty strong idea of how a pagan tribe's economy works.  You can't leave in the growing and planting seasons, most of your village is a large levy of farmers who can serve as militia if necassary, ect ect.  Thea on the other hand is downright cartoonish in its portrayal of how things work.  Not only can you feed an entire village with one person (or *no* people if you have enough pastures) but the game never deigns to explain how you can continue to gather food during what appears to be a seasons long nightfall.  Funnily enough KoDP still managed to get me attached to the named villagers in the way that Thea does.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2016, 02:15:51 am »

I've been watching Arumba play this. It looks like a ton of fun!

I added it to my Steam Wishlist. But I'll definitely be buying it. I did take a look through the thread and also steam reviews say its a good game, plus other sites recommend it. And never even heard of Thea until someone recommended this game on another forum.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9