Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to fix Dwarfs Training... ;)  (Read 3078 times)

terrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to fix Dwarfs Training... ;)
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:54:29 am »

The suggestion would be......have a LABOR named "Training" or Military Training or sorts......if a dwarf was set to such, for that dwarf to train respectfully to their equipment/skills

I believe this would fix the Marks-dwarfs from not practicing archery as much...

Yeah?

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to fix Dwarfs Training... ;)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:58:05 am »

I would rather have the games training system be tweaked slightly. This sort of fix seems rather gamey and overall unsatisfying. The idea is that the military is where the dwarf comander should order the dwarves, so maybe thats a better fix than making a labor for it.

terrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:07:19 am »

Yeah...either way, I've been dealing with this issue for the past 8 years lol....It needs to be fixed, like top priority lol.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:09:54 am »

I am sure that it will be fixed when Toady One gets around to the military arc.

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:19:20 am »

Yeah...either way, I've been dealing with this issue for the past 8 years lol....It needs to be fixed, like top priority lol.
Dwarves DO train, but you have to reduce their training squad size to like 2 or something. In general, live practice should be worth more than just training, so it only makes sense that dwarves should have arenas and so on. Plus... its more dwarfy.

terrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 06:23:11 am »

On the surface, only have 7 wild animals...all Owls lol.....Thats why Im desepreate to get this working again....before Dwarf Therapist, they actually went to archery practice lol.

feel free to swing by twitch.tv/terrais

I stream DF :P

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 03:06:17 am »

Dwarves do train, you just have to avoid outdated advice like 'set the squad to 2'. Some simple up to date instructions somewhere would be really helpful.

The real issue is that once you get them training they level up way too quickly. By the time your population is high enough to attract sieges (if you're lucky enough to get them) your squads are almost all legendary axelords/dodgers.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 07:48:55 am »

I believe the current issue in DF2014 is that dwarves like to melee train so much that they neglect archery training.

Marksdwarves are almost not worth using in the current version due to wanting to melee charge enemies all the time. It takes special setup just to avoid climbing disasters.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:52:29 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 07:56:18 am »

I put my archery dwarves in a bunker full of finely crafted bolts near the entrance to my fortress. Any enemies making it as far as the waiting axelords are already crawling on the floor puking all over my entrance tunnel. Not all that special a setup. Roofs avoid climbing disasters.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:59:28 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 07:57:41 am »

Double post

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 08:37:56 am »

I put my archery dwarves in a bunker full of finely crafted bolts near the entrance to my fortress. Any enemies making it as far as the waiting axelords are already crawling on the floor puking all over my entrance tunnel. Not all that special a setup. Roofs avoid climbing disasters.
Might as well have used traps and save the bolts. The advantage of soldiers is that they can move to engage the enemy. DF2014 marksdwarves can't do that safely.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 11:09:33 am »

you know... I've never had any problems getting melee or marksdwarves to train, like ever. For the marksdwarves, are you assigning them a barracks?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 09:37:09 am »

you know... I've never had any problems getting melee or marksdwarves to train, like ever. For the marksdwarves, are you assigning them a barracks?
when you say you've had no problems.. did you have an archery range?  I wouldn't exactly describe it as problematic its just completely inconsistent whether they will use it for archery training or just spar/individual combat drill all day
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 12:25:11 am »

I wouldn't exactly describe it as problematic its just completely inconsistent whether they will use it for archery training or just spar/individual combat drill all day
I think it has to do with skill and discipline. If you start target practice early you're okay, but if they happen to gain weapon proficiency and discipline they'll start prioritizing individual drills over target practice.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 05:16:47 am »

when you say you've had no problems.. did you have an archery range?  I wouldn't exactly describe it as problematic its just completely inconsistent whether they will use it for archery training or just spar/individual combat drill all day
Archers need both a barracks AND individual targets designated  to train. I always build the barracks to overlap the targets, but that may not be necessary. Apart from this make sure not to allow bins in ammo stockpiles.
Pages: [1] 2