Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stinky dog?  (Read 730 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stinky dog?
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:54:40 am »

I've got strange miasma in my food stockpile/animal pen. The miasma moves around and does not seem to be caused by food (I've got no lose meat anyway), but rather by a living dog. The dog is slightly damaged in a leg after a bunch of dogs and dorfs decided to attack a giant adder (which I haven't butchered, since I haven't built a butchery yet). Is the miasma some kind of effect of adder poisoning (if so, it doesn't seem to match the wiki description)?

Edit: There are actually two stinky dogs, both of which have slight leg damages, whereas the other dogs are unharmed, so I guess it's actually a poison effect.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:59:48 am by PatrikLundell »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stinky dog?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 06:16:36 am »

How did you note the injuries to the dogs?  'v'-'w'?  if you try 'v'-'z' you might be able to spot necrosis, which could lead to the miasma.  I cant remember whether adder bites cause necrosis, i didnt think they were that severe, but I cant check the syndrome right now.

edit: hmm, nausea, pain, swelling, blisters.  Wouldnt have expected necrosis, but perhaps its forming as a result of the wounds going untreated, its not like your chief medic is going to wash them with soap unfortunately.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:19:04 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 06:25:25 am »

You're right. "Her right rear leg is rotten" probably means necrosis, and certainly would cause a stink. It thus seems giant adders can cause necrosis.
I wonder if that's what killed my wood cutter? She went missing and was found drowned, and I don't think wood cutters bring trees down on themselves. The local wildlife wasn't dangerous at the time either.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 06:31:45 am »

I havent seen any of my woodcutters hit by falling trees for a few versions, but as I recall you get a combat log where he is hit on the skull by a spinning log.  Turning up drowned is an odd one, only time i see that without it being an obvious dodge into water is when they try to cross a river at a mapedge or waterfall where the tiles wont stay full enough to convince the path-finder it's suicide.  Especially ruddy waterfalls, dwarves love walking that tightrope-o-doom.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 07:00:44 am »

"The spinning willow log strikes The Woodcutter in the left upper leg, but there is no force!" appears to be the killing blow, so it appear the log nevertheless pushed her into the watery slope where she drowned (and she punched the snake rather than using the axe).

Case closed. Thank you!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 01:20:58 pm »

Checking the adder raws, their venom causes swelling and blisters(plus pain and nausea), and have SIZE_DILUTES, meaning the effect is based on the relative sizes of the adder and it's victims. And Giant Adders are much larger, so it has a much greater effect. Extremely potent swelling and blisters can cause necrosis.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:37:52 pm »

Thanks! I wouldn't have realized myself that swelling and/or blistering would cause necrosis.

0ink3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 06:33:57 am »

I wonder if that's what killed my wood cutter? She went missing and was found drowned, and I don't think wood cutters bring trees down on themselves. The local wildlife wasn't dangerous at the time either.

Perhaps walking across a frozen pond as it unfreezes ?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 07:42:55 am »

No. I don't embark where the water freezes since there are no reasonable means to keep the dorfs from walking on the blasted ice.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 01:10:13 pm »

No. I don't embark where the water freezes since there are no reasonable means to keep the dorfs from walking on the blasted ice.

Wall it off?

As for OP's issue, it's easily solved by butchering the dogs in question.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 04:08:01 pm »

I actually considered war or hunting training and station in a lonely hut looking for sneakers, but the question was what had happened.

And I don't consider covering all bodies of water with a floor or wall them off to be reasonable, not the least because it would screw up the blasted invaders already pathetic ability to path to my fortress even more.