Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do now?  (Read 1402 times)

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
What to do now?
« on: September 26, 2015, 04:46:06 am »

Hey there,

It's me again.
I'm wondering what to do now , because i got a decent militia , i got metalsmithing , 30 pop , bedrooms for all dwarves , tons of drinks and fishes.
I need a hospital but got no dwarves for it.And i dont really know how to make one anyway.
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do now?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 05:07:55 am »

A hospital is a zone option, so you make a zone and specify it to be a hospital. A good idea is to place it close to your well, as cleaning with water is done a fair bit. A hospital requires at least one container (I typically provide two coffers), and a set of bed/traction bench/table groups (I typically create 3 groups, but I don't send dorfs into battle much).

I would guess you haven't discovered any of the caverns yet, so do exploratory digging for those. Also, you ought to prepare bedrooms for immigrants, since you're at a stage where you typically get (too) large immigration waves.
You probably would want to improve your entrance(s) with traps and kill zones for sieges (although you won't get sieges until the pop reaches 50 (can be a single immigration wave, though) with the default parameters, with dark towers ignoring those and can siege at any time).
You probably haven't discovered the magma sea, and thus don't have a magma powered metal industry. You may want to haul or pump magma around for various purposes.

And, of course, you may want to embark on any kind of more or less silly mega project for your own enjoyment.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 05:13:36 am »

Okay , gotta dig deeper.But what about the FB's?

Also , i have a river nearby , so is the well really necessary?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:18:17 am by KillerHP »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 06:58:26 am »

FBs are dangerous, and some of the cavern critters are as well, so cavern breaches should, in my view, be done carefully with an immediate plugging of the initial breach and an airlock with cage traps for the "proper" breach.

Unless you want your medics to pass through the sieging forces to fetch water to the militia wounded by the siegers, yes, a well is recommended (it also cuts the distance the dorfs have to walk for water). The well should be at least two tiles deep as well, so the water retrieved isn't muddy. If your embark freezes during winter a river isn't usable as a water source during that period.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 10:05:40 am »

My god , dwarves really became a problem.
Gotta need more fishers.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 10:08:19 am »

I find if you combine the well with a waterfall in the main diningroom, you have a place for dorfs to wash inside where it's safe, and a happiness generator in the main dining room. Very useful. Also, if you're worried about FBs, a place to wash your dorfs before they go through to the main area might be a clever idea anyhow. A pathway to the caverns through an everflowing underground canal, so that they have to wash their feet to get home, for instance.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 10:16:12 am »

My god , dwarves really became a problem.
Gotta need more fishers.
This made me grin.  As to your previous query, yes you should still have a Well (or several) in case your river becomes inaccessible due to Dragon.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 10:29:35 am »

Typically, a one or two fisherdwarves will provide you with quite a lot of fish as long as you have non-fisherdwarves with fish cleaning enabled to prepare the fish before it rots.

Also, the best way to learn to deal with caverns and such really is to dive in, then when you've seen how a given cavern is laid out, just stop and plan how you want access to the cavern to work--you'll usually have plenty of time to make at least a rudimentary bridge to block the entrance in case of emergency. Caverns are great fun once you know your way around 'em (-:

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 10:54:31 am »

Huumm.... i think there gotta be a catsplosion , as i have a female and a male cat :/ How do i prevent this?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 12:23:26 pm »

Next to the male cat, press 'v', 'p', then 'x'.  A gelder will geld it at a butcher's shop.  If you don't have a butcher's shop, build one with 'b', 'w', 'u'; if you don't have a gelder, next to a dwarf not currently working press 'v', 'p', 'l', go to "Farming/Related", then down to "Gelding", near the bottom, then press 'Enter'.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 12:24:55 pm »

Or, alternatively, keep males and females separated. Creatures no longer breed via airborne spores, but require proximity.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 05:37:43 pm »

Or as another alternative, {b}utcher the female cat from the z menu, and keep the male one. Cat leather helmet anyone?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

CulixCupric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 06:39:38 pm »

I usually consult this flowchart...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't know what to put here... let me know if you have any ideas...

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 10:00:25 pm »

Wells and soap are critical to a functioning hospital. Without them, you'll see more Dwarves fall to infections. I'm not sure that soap alone will cut the risk enough, as river water is unclean and wells are always superior for that. They're magic for now, and scrub out the worst of the dirt.

Containers make storage easier, but they're not absolutely required for a hospital. They even have some issues unless Toady finally fixed that. If you have containers in your hospital, dwarves will run out and steal all the cloth, thread, soap, and other supplies that caravans bring and cut down drastically on their trade goods. Which could hurt trade in the long run. Stockpiles work, as long as you have space for them.

And FBs are why you build waterfalls with drainage grates and hospitals in the first place.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 02:10:38 am »

I haven't had much of a problem with hospitals stealing supplies. Yes, they're stocked up, and occasionally overstocked a bit, but not more than that. I tend to be a bit late in setting up hospitals, though, wanting to use masterworks equipment in them (and not having that much of a need for hospitals since I try to keep my dorfs out of harms way, i.e. not use militia to fight invaders).
Pages: [1] 2