Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who would be interested in a golem mod?  (Read 1862 times)

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Who would be interested in a golem mod?
« on: September 24, 2015, 10:48:07 am »

So I thought about this last night.. I've had free time (once again) but no way to play DF at the moment... (Computer is far away, can't install DF on this laptop...) so who would be interested in a mod that adds Golems?

I would want them to be able to do certain task, maybe be drafted into the military? I don't know. Maybe make them able to operate pumps and such? Let me know what you guys think?

EDIT:

Okay so I decided on two 'classes' of golems.
The first, is a 'mechanical golem'
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The second is a 'moulded golem'

How to craft them:
I don't know yet! Here are my ideas though:

Moulded golems:

Mechanical golems:

Materials you can make a golem from:
Available now:

Coming soon (I hope):
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:30:00 pm by nuget102 »
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

ThothTheScribe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who would be interested in a golem mod?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 03:49:33 pm »

Meph actually already released this in the Community Spellbook.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101264.msg3000313#msg3000313

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 05:24:24 pm »

I'd be interested if you can do it without DFhack (I've done a few versions of this but have to get back into the groove of it)

What I'd be interested in is:
  • Helper Golems, possibly made from lighter materials like wood with metal banding/trim/hands for rough tasks, such as training for hunting to aid hunters, or act as a low level citizen bodyguard for locations that have aggressive wildlife that would tear a normal dwarf apart but a golem would not be soft enough for said animal to dispach them so easy, either by helping if it gets lucky and wins or buying time for the dwarf
  • Hardier, slower, and stronger metal golems trainable for war to aid squads in combat and offer protection to high ranking dwarves
  • Stone labor golem that if it had to could throw down, but due to it's heavy and prone to fracturing material best left to hauling, smoothing, digging, and machine operation

Considering this is about golems, I'd rather see golems that make more of a engineering sense like steam for blood, gears, joints, Cables/chains/pistons(muscle), lenses(sight) however you are the creator but the idea of steampunk or fantasy engineering allows for dwarven upgrades (cyborg dwarf, or even frankenstein/mechanical resurrection)

my 2 cents make it how you like seems like you have a vision of what you want them to be so here is my +1

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 06:09:21 pm »

Considering this is about golems, I'd rather see golems that make more of a engineering sense like steam for blood, gears, joints, Cables/chains/pistons(muscle), lenses(sight) however you are the creator but the idea of steampunk or fantasy engineering allows for dwarven upgrades (cyborg dwarf, or even frankenstein/mechanical resurrection)

Golems are historically made from earth/clay with magic, not technology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 07:59:31 pm »

I'd be interested if you can do it without DFhack (I've done a few versions of this but have to get back into the groove of it)

What I'd be interested in is:
  • Helper Golems, possibly made from lighter materials like wood with metal banding/trim/hands for rough tasks, such as training for hunting to aid hunters, or act as a low level citizen bodyguard for locations that have aggressive wildlife that would tear a normal dwarf apart but a golem would not be soft enough for said animal to dispach them so easy, either by helping if it gets lucky and wins or buying time for the dwarf
  • Hardier, slower, and stronger metal golems trainable for war to aid squads in combat and offer protection to high ranking dwarves
  • Stone labor golem that if it had to could throw down, but due to it's heavy and prone to fracturing material best left to hauling, smoothing, digging, and machine operation

my 2 cents make it how you like seems like you have a vision of what you want them to be so here is my +1

Although Meph is correct, golems are traditionally created through magic (as a clay being its body) I do like your idea. And I think I have a type of compromise...

There'll be TWO types of golems, one that's fairly easy to make (as far as materials go anyway) and would most likely be made of metal, or a combination of metal, stone, and wood, let's call these ones 'mechanical golems'. Then the magic type, which would be ones that would be simply moulded from a material (like a statue would be) and then brought to life via some magicy stuff, let's just call these 'moulded golems'. I'm thinking perhaps those would require some precious material, preferably a material already in game (candy anyone?)

My idea is to do this with as little third-party modding as possible (which means, hopefully, no dfhack) ideally I'll just have to add two workshops. Or maybe just one. I think the 'mechanical golems' would raise the mechanics skill where as the moulded golems would raise architecture (if possible?).

I think I'll write up a quick run down of the differences of the golems, just let me know what you guys think. Is candy too precious of a material to use do you think? Or maybe I'll use some type of gem? I'm just not sure what would be readily available on almost any map. Or maybe I’ll have the reaction require the life of an animal? Although I don't see that working without dfhackery.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 08:37:09 pm »

In my own mod I do have mechanical golems, made from 7 different materials. They come in 3 types, sword, hammer and spear golem, so 21 in total. You can also upgrade their speed, strength and combat skills in the workshop, and give them an AoE stun attack.

But it's all really old RAWs, I wrote those 3-4 years ago.

They dont do labors, if you want to do that, they need to be civ-members, and then you get issues with creatures sprites and golem nobles and all kinds of other stuff.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 08:49:56 pm »

In my own mod I do have mechanical golems, made from 7 different materials. They come in 3 types, sword, hammer and spear golem, so 21 in total. You can also upgrade their speed, strength and combat skills in the workshop, and give them an AoE stun attack.

But it's all really old RAWs, I wrote those 3-4 years ago.

They dont do labors, if you want to do that, they need to be civ-members, and then you get issues with creatures sprites and golem nobles and all kinds of other stuff.

Thanks. :) The upgrade idea isn't a bad idea, it'd be a nice way to balance out the golems I think?

And yea, I figured that about labors.. I wish I could find a way around it though.. Hm...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 08:57:53 am »

Only way around that is to transform civ members into a extremely rare caste, the golem. And give them a graphic manually with nobles. But players have to do that manually.

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 01:17:03 pm »

you could just forbid golems in all noble positions for the entity? (except maybe law enforcement :D)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 02:06:26 pm »

you could just forbid golems in all noble positions for the entity? (except maybe law enforcement :D)
No, I meant to add a NOBLE:GOLEM that can only be used on golems that changes their profession sprite.