Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Proceduarlly Generated Beasties-Old Hat?  (Read 1045 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Proceduarlly Generated Beasties-Old Hat?
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:58:06 pm »

So, I figured out a way to add as many tags as I want to most (if not all) procedurally generated creatures (removing tags can also be done, albeit in a more limited way.) However, it seems so simple, that I find it hard to believe that I'm the first to find it, and I don't want to generate a kerfluffle in vain. Is this common knowledge?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Bosa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Proceduarlly Generated Beasties-Old Hat?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:43:06 am »

I haven't heard of it. Can you give details? Also, is there a way to give add [DOES_NOT_EXIST] to forgotten beasts?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:02:41 pm »

It's really quite simple. Make a creature variation, then, via hex-editing, replace one of the creature's tags in the executable with [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:VARIATIONNAME]
You can even add or remove procedural tokens, such as UNIQUE_DEMON or FEATURE_BEAST.

How the game handles forgotten beasts having [DOES_NOT_EXIST], I do not know, though I wouldn't be surprised if it resulted in a crash.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:19:00 pm »

I thought there was a way to make your own Forgotten beasts and Demons by making DEMON_1 and such similar to that for an ID but I believe that required you to have the Forgotten Beast number to 0

which I'm guessing is nowhere close to what you are doing considering you are memory editing

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 04:36:14 pm »

If this can disable FBs then it is revolutionary! They cannot be disabled in any conventional way, someone needs to test that...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 05:47:03 pm »

If this can disable FBs then it is revolutionary! They cannot be disabled in any conventional way, someone needs to test that...
The obvious solution would be to give them an attack trigger requiring an impossible amount of citizens, no?

EDIT: I added DOES_NOT_EXIST, but it made no difference. It seems that Forgotten Beasts are too stupid to realize their own unreality...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:49:47 pm by Urlance Woolsbane »
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 06:14:24 pm »

This is interesting.

The obvious solution would be to give them an attack trigger requiring an impossible amount of citizens, no?
You're already doing the impossible, but attack triggers are hardcoded. There's a big leap from editing procedurally generated raws to editing hardcoded items.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 06:20:29 pm »

This is interesting.

You're already doing the impossible, but attack triggers are hardcoded. There's a big leap from editing procedurally generated raws to editing hardcoded items.
Now I'm confused. Does the ATTACK_TRIGGER tag do nothing?
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 06:29:10 pm »

You can give them a creature variation with a suicide interaction.

But for modding purposes, it would be awesome if they get creature_classes. TITAN, DEMON, FB, etc. That way modders can write things specifically against these type of monsters.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 06:33:12 pm »

ninja'd

Actually, checking the wiki, you can set whatever you want for the attack triggers. I was assuming creature attack tokens worked the same as entity attack tokens, which they don't. So never mind.