Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planning 3D Fortresses  (Read 1045 times)

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Planning 3D Fortresses
« on: August 30, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

I'm sure all of you have seen the fortress planning spreadsheet, which works fantastically for planning out fortresses in the current release.  However, that third dimension really throws a wrench into the 2-D spreadsheet.  Any ideas as to what we should use to plan out future fortresses, other than our imaginations?  I have tons of ideas, but i'm not sure how feasible they will be.

Sorry for the rambling, i'm not all there today.

Thanks!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planning 3D Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 03:58:00 pm »

Use different tabs on a spreadsheet? I think that's basically how the game works.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

for 3d forts im thinking i'l just create a main lobby level that would look a lot like a the current 2d forts and only use 3d to avoid certain building using up prime real estate and for mining.

for example you have a dinning room on your main floor and have food stockpiles, kitchen and brewery below it, have a masons workshop on the main floor with stone and furniture stockpiles below it.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

You could draw them using a 3 view orthographic style. Front view, side view and top view. Or you could just draw each level on separate tabs.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

I was thinking about planning it with some 3D program like a modeler or map editor.

Though, hard to plan ahead at this point, not knowing anything about the new mechanics.

Oh, and... I don't think pre-planning a layout is going to work, like, at all, since the mountain features are random now.

[ August 30, 2007: Message edited by: Core Xii ]

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 10:03:00 pm »

If you want to use a 3d program to plan it then I recommend, SketchUp. It's a fairly easy to use and free program.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

hendecatope

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »

I don't know much about scripting in 3d programs... But judging by a 3d city I saw generated once (In Maya* a free modeling tool) it looks like it would work for making a dwarf fort.

Blender is good too.  Albit hard to get used to (interface wise) for others and myself.

*The personal learning edition is free -- Forever.  And the PLE is pretty much the entire program, minus fluids and a few other things.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »

There may also be a chance of there not being a certain feature. PLEASE HAVE THERE BE NO PITS!
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

Blender has a sort of... "unique"... interface.

For amateur 3d modelling, I recommend Wings 3D, a free, open-source program.