Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new challenge mode at next release?  (Read 1477 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
new challenge mode at next release?
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »

Just wondering, anybody think of a completely surface dwarf challenge mode?

1)You can make buildings with wood(or stone to make it a little easier optionally) rewalling. All workshops and housing must be in a building. Unless illogical (a magma smelter outside a building is ok)

2)Mining (might get dull without it) allowed but you cannot place any workshops or other kinds of buildings inside, you can only store raw stone, raw ore, and mining equipment(picks) in the mine. Stone blocks, metal bars and all gems must be stored in a building.

3)Defensive structures like walls may be made of stone.

4)Buildings may have a small basement(no more than 1 tile deep and no bigger than the building areawise)

5)Because of (2) no magma workshops allowed, unless outdoors.

6)Mill must be outside(as in outside of the mine, should be walled as much as possible.) Same with farming(if possible, if not farming can take place in a small mined out area seperate of the mine)

7)Buildings should have a 'roof' if possible. A bridge on top of the building would do.

I thought this up while at work when I was supposed to be fixing a broken toilet. Inspiration comes from odd places.  Anyway, Thoughts? Comments? Flames? Obligatory read the wiki posts? Links to the idea being posted before?

EDIT: Mills should be in a building too.

[ August 30, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: new challenge mode at next release?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

There probably wont be a specific challenge mode, since it's completely up to the player how they want to play the game...

However, playing the game as a "Hill Dwarf" instead of a "Mountain Dwarf" would certainly be an interesting challenge.  ;)

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:27:00 pm »

Well yea I just figured I'd call it a challenge mode for lack of a better name.  It would be sorta like those one unskilled peasant challenges, except this would probably be a little easier (except on a sparse or none trees map).
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »

Just  some questions.

How do you define "outdoors". If you chop down the whole mountain, is it considered "outdoors" ?

What about redirecting magma flows on purpose, for instance if you want to build your magma smelter ?

There is no reason why the "all workshops in a building" rule should not apply to the mill. As far as I know, a mill is just a house with a waterwheel on one side (the side of the river, hopefully). Some mills even spawn across a river (i.e. a whole bit of river under a roof).

Nonetheless, your idea is great, I'll try it sometime.

[ August 30, 2007: Message edited by: Istrian ]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

Yea you should probably be able to chop down a section of mountain to make more room, but the building must be mostly rewalled, you could probly lean the building up against a cliff as long as most of the building is rewalled. (EDIT: That entire section of mountaim must be completely mined out, open to the sky and everything. Not just where th building is either, the whole section of mountain must be gone.)

You can probably also redirect a magma flood on purpose, but that would likely also require alot of pumping and complicated channeling.  If you do that you should also try to keep the magma mostly away from the rest of the town, just because it would be very dangerous to be channeling magma down the center of a town made of wood.
(Another Edit: Optionally for more challenge make the magma channel be underground like 1 or 2 tiles below the surface. Magma on the surface would quickly cool and be unusable in a magma smelter. This would also require the magma forge/smelter/what-have-you be in a basement.  I'm trying to go buy some Dr. Pepper, but I keep thinking! Augh! I can't stop!!!)

I personally do not have much experience with the mill. I kinda figured that making a wall around a mill would be more trouble than its worth with the river and all, but now that I think about it yes, at least partially enclose mills in walls. Good catch dude    :) Editing the first post now.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

Or do it like the Cauldron(Searing gorge, impossible to miss when you look arround the zone) area in wow. Houses on the surface, magmaworks in the pit.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 01:53:00 pm »

Exactly what I was thinking when I added the "unless outdoors" part to the post. But more because of one of Toady's next version screen shots than WOW (I never actually played World of Warcraft, I can only afford 1 monthly subscription and I am currently a level 60 rank 10 beast fortefighter in Phantasy Star Universe and don't want to lose 'im.)

Kinda be interesting to actually seek out volcanoes for just that purpose.  Would kinda be bad if they can erupt though...even if they just went like that one volcano in Hawaii.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

I'll get a few screens from there tomoro.

You don't need a volcano, just dig down untill your pick melts.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »

indeed.  Dwarf pit-mines.